224737 Bullies, 3642 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 151 to 159 of 159
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,986

    Posted On:
    3/07/2006 3:00pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    It seems that every martial art is TMA to you. Your definition loses all meaning when it doesn't give a person any idea of what kind of martial art you're talking about.
    Are you saying that Muay Thai that is well over 100 years old isn't Traditional?

    Are you saying that Kyokoshin isn't traditional.

    Are you saying that Wu Shu which started post 1950 is traditional?

    Damn maybe you should figure it out kid.
  2. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    3/07/2006 3:03pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought the sport of muay thai, as it's known today, has only been around since the early 20th century?
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  3. Thaiboxerken is offline
    Thaiboxerken's Avatar

    Genius

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    6,349

    Posted On:
    3/07/2006 3:03pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the time requirement to be considered "traditional"?
  4. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,986

    Posted On:
    3/07/2006 3:09pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what I'm asking you.


    ..........

    BTW I never said Muay Thai Kickboxing KidS I said Muay Thai.
  5. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,975

    Posted On:
    3/07/2006 3:10pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    What's the time requirement to be considered "traditional"?
    Doesn't matter. In your response you aren't using a Time frame. Technically TKD is a Modern MA, yet, it is considered TMA.

    That is why your argument is flawed.
  6. Thaiboxerken is offline
    Thaiboxerken's Avatar

    Genius

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    6,349

    Posted On:
    3/07/2006 4:56pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe the problem is that it has not much to do with how long a martial arts been around, but has more to do with why some arts train like they do. I consider a TMA a system that trains and does things only because tradition calls for it, a TMA is static and doesn't change with new information or to evolve. This is why I don't consider Muay Thai a "TMA", it's adopted boxing because boxing works. BJJ is constantly changing as well.

    What I consider TMA are systems who are represently largly by mcdojo schools that do kata for kata's sake and grasp onto tradition as if it's the only thing keeping their art alive.
  7. amichaell is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    327

    Posted On:
    3/07/2006 8:56pm


     Style: nothing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    Maybe the problem is that it has not much to do with how long a martial arts been around, but has more to do with why some arts train like they do. I consider a TMA a system that trains and does things only because tradition calls for it, a TMA is static and doesn't change with new information or to evolve. This is why I don't consider Muay Thai a "TMA", it's adopted boxing because boxing works. BJJ is constantly changing as well.

    What I consider TMA are systems who are represently largly by mcdojo schools that do kata for kata's sake and grasp onto tradition as if it's the only thing keeping their art alive.
    So now we've come full circle and arrived back at you asking why forms/katas are utilized.
  8. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,986

    Posted On:
    3/07/2006 9:00pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    Maybe the problem is that it has not much to do with how long a martial arts been around, but has more to do with why some arts train like they do. I consider a TMA a system that trains and does things only because tradition calls for it, a TMA is static and doesn't change with new information or to evolve. This is why I don't consider Muay Thai a "TMA", it's adopted boxing because boxing works. BJJ is constantly changing as well.

    What I consider TMA are systems who are represently largly by mcdojo schools that do kata for kata's sake and grasp onto tradition as if it's the only thing keeping their art alive.
    :jerk: Finally we're getting somewhere. I may not agree with your translation but yes, these schools are crap and should be treated as such. I would not define this as much as traditional (Shaolin monks have been observed learning boxing while training for fights) as much as stupid and cultish.
  9. JohnnyCache is offline
    JohnnyCache's Avatar

    All Out of Bubblegum

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,471

    Posted On:
    3/07/2006 9:45pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    Maybe the problem is that it has not much to do with how long a martial arts been around, but has more to do with why some arts train like they do. I consider a TMA a system that trains and does things only because tradition calls for it, a TMA is static and doesn't change with new information or to evolve. This is why I don't consider Muay Thai a "TMA", it's adopted boxing because boxing works. BJJ is constantly changing as well.

    What I consider TMA are systems who are represently largly by mcdojo schools that do kata for kata's sake and grasp onto tradition as if it's the only thing keeping their art alive.

    Well then you are using TMA interchangably with SMA (shitty martial arts) and that's not always the case.

    To me, a TMA is a martial art where some nod to the culture of origin is still made in class and some lineage to past instructors is tracked. You could consider boxing a TMA - it has a longer and straighter, better recorded lineage and cultural position in the USA then many asian arts do in their countries.

    a 'school where we wear mismatched asian **** and use cheap tin weapons that were never used in history to do **** that never worked in any context, ever, and is mostly just made up **** from the 70s when shifu watched enter the dragon" is an SMA school. They aren't really traditional - they have no real grounding in history and their past, which is one reason they suck. Those schools aren't "traditional martial arts" any more then a gettysburg recreation is "traditional military training"

    Take BJJ - you could make a case that BJJ is "traditional" because the sense of lineage and ryu loyalty and the rabid perservation of the fighting standard are there, as is the respect for the early generations of the style. . .
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 3/07/2006 10:12pm at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.