Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe that Johnathan is now running a newly opened "Champion Martial Arts" in Carmel, IN.

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If anyone is watching this thread, I am one of the people featured in the story on 16. I have tons of information about Jonathan Stowe and the crap he pulls. I am willing to answer any questions regarding this nightmare. I just found this site today and was really interested to read about what happened after the story aired.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey "D"? We'd love to get your version of everything that happened.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In live in Granger, Indiana as well (basically 5 minutes from this guys school). If anyone needs recommendations on good schools in the area, I know of and have checked out most of the schools in this area and can't point you in the right direction.

There are more then a few horrible places to get stuck in in our area.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, what specifically did Mr. Stowe do?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a start Sam. I'm reading through it now.

It is an appellate decision reversing a Small Claims ruling giving parents their money back, or some portion of it back, that was paid to the guys ATA school.

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions...2280704jts.pdf

Here is another link to the Indiana AG's office re: the long term contracts this guy was putting out.

http://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/pr...ubinCourt.html
    Last edited by GoldenJonas; 3/29/2007 9:51pm at .

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, here is our story. I was walking through the mall where Champion had a kiosk. I have two kids that were with me and the talked me into making an appointment to check out their school. We went to the school a couple days later. We went back into a private office and the instructor (not Jonathan) ran our kids through some basic moves and gave us the sales pitch. We went in there thinking the program would be a monthly fee that we could stop paying if our kids didn't like it. We were wrong. They offered three options, 194 a month for three years, 2 payments of 3200 or 1 payment of 4900. Well, were were taken aback by this but the pressure was on. I looked over the contract carefully and it did say we had three days to cancel. Our sales guy told us several things to entice us, first he said we would have 2 weeks to try it out risk fee. He also said we would receive a pro rated refund if the kids got their black belt sooner than 36 months. He later denied saying those things. For reasons I cannot comprehend, we agreed to the lump sum payment of 4900. After a bad night, we came to our senses. I typed up a cancellation letter (written notice as per the contract) and my wife took it there less than 24 hours later. That is when the crap hit the fan. She was told we signed a no refund policy. I turns out they slipped that in not on the contract, but on a Personal Analysis form that you put your name address, what you want to get of the course, etc. When she got back, I couldn't believe it. She called back and wanted to talk to a manager. Eventually we got a call from Jonathan. He stated he was just a consulatant and that they school was owned by private investors, all lies. He basically laughed at us for wanting a refund. We called our credit card to dispute the charge. I stopped payment on our enrollment fee check. Our credit card company wisely advised us to send a certified letter, which we did the next day. In the mean time, I filed a Better Business Bureau complaint against them. Well, they refused to sign for the letter, so it came back to us three weeks later with the attempted delivery dates on it. While checking my BBB complaint online, I found a way to look at other people's complaints by changing the numbers in the address bar in the browser. I knew there were other complaints, so I found the old ones. This confirmed what we had suspected, these guys were crooks. I continued to monitor new complaints made to the BBB. I started contacting others with the hope of fighting a battle with more people on our side. I then contacted Channel 16, and when enough people did as well, they decided to do the story. They encourged us to file complaints with the Attorney General's office as well. It eventually turned into the lawsuit that is pending linked in another post above. There are a lot of twists and turns I am going to leave out in the interest of breivity, but they tried ever so hard to keep our money using lies and deception to our credit card, the AG's office, and the BBB. As for us, our credit card eventually sided with us (after filing complaints against them) 6 months later and we got our money back. As far as I know though, we are the only ones to get money back. It was one of the most stressful times in my life and ever since then I do everything I can to get them back. I have seen his school in Carmel, IN. I sent a lot of negative paperwork to the mall manager, but it probably won't do anything. Jonathan Stowe is the most outwardly dishonest business owner I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. He brings shame to all the honest Martial Artist's professionals in the business.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sucks big time. The "Three Day Cancelation Rule" on consumer contracts is fairly universal with minor wording differences state to state. For the most part, and as a direct result of the Bally's debacle years ago, contracts such as this are REQUIRED to provide the consumer with a "cool off" period of at least three days in which the contract may be canceled without penalty to the consumer.

The logic behind the rule is that the consumer is generally in a MUCH inferior position when reviewing and attempting to negotiate these contracts, i.e., your on the salesperson's home court, he/she typically has back-up to add pressure, and you typically put on the spot. To make up for the inherently unequal bargaining power in these situations courts have provided consumers with a three day "cool off" at a minimum to allow the person the time to think about it outside of the sales driven pressure cooker.

In your case, this jackass tried to circumvent what has now, for the most part, been adopted as boiler plate Consumer protection law in the vast majority of states. His action were fraudulent and violative of civil statutes. I'm glad to see that the media has taken an interest in this dirt bag.

I would recommend that you point any of the parents or friends you know or have to read the following article before signing ANY long term contract with a MA School or Fitness club or gym.

http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...article&id=269

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As an aside, we should move that article to Bullshido.COM GJ.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make it so Number 1.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last