Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Thread: Aikido kills

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aikido kills

And CBS confirms it: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-d...nnya-mcmillen/

I guess it does have t3h d34dly after all.

Style
    lol yet again more Judo !
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    And CBS confirms it: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-d...nnya-mcmillen/

I guess it does have t3h d34dly after all.
    That is a terrible and heart breaking story. I am assuming social media is going apeshit over it? They should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there like an actual quota of teens the cops have to kill each month?? Seriously I'm asking this as a real question.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's quite sad when a child dies.
    However, details are important.
    I have no rank in Aikido,
    But I have been at Judo seminars where they have sections where Aikido techniques are shown,
    and I have never seen any Aikido instructor demonstrate a restraint that I thought could result in death,
    except throws if the person landed badly on the back of their head or something.
    I also take some exception to the university professor's criticism that martial arts restraints should not
    be used in corrections environments, including juvenile correction environments.
    If you are in jail, and you don't do what the Corrections Officer tells you to do,
    One would think it should be pretty obvious and essential to maintaining order in those environments,
    that in that circumstance a team of corrections professionals will restrain, incapacitate, and otherwise make you comply with the directives.
    Again, I am very sorry a child died.
    But, I have doubts that an Aikido restraint would result in death,
    And I object to the notion that a Corrections Officer could not use restraints or compliance techniques on any inmate that was being disorderly.
    It's a very fine line, because abuses can occur,
    but a Corrections Facility must maintain order, or riots and inmate on inmate violence occur, as well as inmate on Correction Officer violence.
    The Corrections staff's failure to check on a juvenile being kept in isolation every 15 minute as is their policy, is a problem, and the supervisors and CO's on duty will have to answer for that breach of their own policy, because in this case, a death of a juvenile did occur.
    Last edited by WFMurphyPhD; 1/30/2016 11:10am at . Reason: grammar mistake

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    was she killes by a Ki Blast or wrist lock?

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    I have never seen any Aikido instructor demonstrate a restraint that I thought could result in death,
    i've practiced aikido (the deadly judo related tomiki aikido in fact!) and i'll go one better, i've never seen an aikido waza that could result in effective *restraint* of a teenager.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    kenpo, Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Is there like an actual quota of teens the cops have to kill each month?? Seriously I'm asking this as a real question.
    When you resist law enforcement, you take in significant risk: your body may not be able to handle the physical restraining, they may not be competent enough to safely restrain you, they may act unlawfully, you may get hurt by the environment, you may inadvertantly raise the issue to deadly force levels, or you may win the fight and be charged with more crimes. Considering all that risk a certain number of incidents will end badly. Steps are taken to reduce the risk but I know of no way to safely restrain people 100% of the time.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i've practiced aikido (the deadly judo related tomiki aikido in fact!) and i'll go one better, i've never seen an aikido waza that could result in effective *restraint* of a teenager.
    I have had double total hip replacements for a while, and still coach and grapple,
    and I am in queue for double total knee (prosthetic) replacements, which I am trying to delay with braces, NSAIDs, a cane etc.
    I have thought about taking up Tomiki Aikido after the knee replacements if I am no longer able to safely grapple because of the knee prosthetics.
    Just to keep moving and keep learning...
    I have known a lot of older Judoka who have cross studied Tomiki Aikido and stated the kuzishi principles resonate well with Judo ideas about Kuzushi.
    It's either Tomiki Aikido or ballroom dancing, with some nage komi Judo drilling for me if I can't grapple anymore but can still move around.
    Either way, I will still keep practicing with my firearms and hope to continue to coach, drill, and grapple.
    But, we'll see.

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not clear if the "Aikido restraint" factored into McMillen's death on Jan. 11. Her death is currently under investigation by the Kentucky State Troopers and the Justice Cabinet's Internal Investigation's Branch. Officials have so far indicated they believe McMillen died in her sleep.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    It's not clear if the "Aikido restraint" factored into McMillen's death on Jan. 11. Her death is currently under investigation by the Kentucky State Troopers and the Justice Cabinet's Internal Investigation's Branch. Officials have so far indicated they believe McMillen died in her sleep.
    That is the real danger of aikido. Wrist locks can cause a lethal chi buildup hours after the fact.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last