Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 6:02am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    Yeah! Listen to the Kangaroo fucker....:qleft3:
    Of course, the silly seppo doesn't seem to understand that a good Kangaroo is VERY VERY HARD TO FIND

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 8:07am

Style: judo, boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm out!

This thread is revealing.

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 11:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raynor
    No, its not. That armbar will get you under side control in a heart beat. I just ninja right on over the legs following the curve of the arm. Pretty much every instructer I've ever seen would smack me for using that.
    It's not an ideal position, but you can finish the armbar from that photo. Angle towards your right, squeeze knees together, left heel towards butt and press down to pin the guys head to the ground. Move thumb up on guys right hand. Arch back and you have a one-armed ninja...

But that said I doubt from the other photos that guy knows enough to do that. It's pretty much crappling displayed.

Crappling is bullshido. The only way it helps is by thinning the gene pool.

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 11:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it very refreshing and encouraging when traditional Karate/TKD/Kenpo schools will hire outside BJJ/SubG instructors to teach courses and/or run seminars.

Rather than try to explore some hidden, little known and recently discovered "Grappling Bunkai", these instructors admit their deficiency and look to outside sources of expertise. There are enough starving BJJ purple/brown belts to easily fill these roles.

My old Shito Ryu Karate instructor from High School would have a Judo sandan come down and work randori once a week...which was infinitely better than trying to teach grappling on his own.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 12:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    This thread made me think of one thing (beyond the TKDcrappler vs kids fooling around thing).

If this were presented as a textbook example of an armbar, and taught as such, by a qualified instuctor in a grappling based system, would that be a good thing for his students?

I'd say that's just what alive training looks like. They guy in black is trying to apply an armbar from a guard starting point or something like that and the other guy is trying to prevent it. I'd doubt that was ever presented as a textbook example of a successful armbar.
    Last edited by Fantasy Warrior; 3/03/2006 12:41pm at .
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 12:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kickcatcher
    I'd say that's just what alive training looks like. They guy in black is trying to apply an armbar from a guard starting point or something like that and the other guy is trying to prevent it.

Here's a pic from that same source showing what looks like a more successful armbar.
    I guess quotes like this pretty much prove the point about the negative impact of crappling. That's not alive training, ending in a successful armbar. That picture there is not even an armbar, it's a weak-ass attempt at a triangle. The angle is straight on as opposed to angled to the side, the arm is out straight as opposed to across the body, and he's trapping the arm as opposed to pulling down on the head to finish.

Basically, the dude in the picture looks like someone who has had some second-rate instruction in grappling, or learned a few moves from a book or video. Now form that position, the dude could either a) finish the triangle properly, or b) throw his left leg over the head and finish an armbar. But from my perspective, I don't think he knows how to finish anything properly.

Hence, crappling. Hence, bullshido.

And, it's fooling the uninstructed.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 12:50pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the reason for posting the first pic was to say, "Could you learn from this and if so would you be considered 'qualified'." Everyone here with grappling training is commenting on how they'd shift or adjust to make that position work, that's fine but you're using the one thing that would be lacking if you were learning from that picture, experience.

My answer, no you can't learn jack from that photo. It doesn't explain how you got there, what went wrong, who's actually in trouble, etc etc... I mean if the guy with green gloves on is a 'crappler' and the other guy knows what he's doing then the tables are reversed very quickly.

I agree with ICY and Omega, don't Crapple!

TKD

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 1:19pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy
    I guess quotes like this pretty much prove the point about the negative impact of crappling. That's not alive training, ending in a successful armbar. That picture there is not even an armbar, it's a weak-ass attempt at a triangle. The angle is straight on as opposed to angled to the side, the arm is out straight as opposed to across the body, and he's trapping the arm as opposed to pulling down on the head to finish.

Basically, the dude in the picture looks like someone who has had some second-rate instruction in grappling, or learned a few moves from a book or video. Now form that position, the dude could either a) finish the triangle properly, or b) throw his left leg over the head and finish an armbar. But from my perspective, I don't think he knows how to finish anything properly.

Hence, crappling. Hence, bullshido.

And, it's fooling the uninstructed.

From the mouth of babes.

Good post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 1:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow.

The guys in those pictures are so tiny.

[/commentary]
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 1:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know who the only people that think crappling is good, is the crapplers.
    As seen in that picture, I am sure that person would vote that crappling is good.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast