Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/02/2006 11:41pm

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    Olorin, how much longer are you going to be at OSU (OSU!!!!!!!!!)? In two years I'll be getting my B.S. and looking for grad school. Will you still be there then?
    Probably, at a minimum it takes five years to complete.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 1:11am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread made me think of one thing (beyond the TKDcrappler vs kids fooling around thing).

If this were presented as a textbook example of an armbar, and taught as such, by a qualified instuctor in a grappling based system, would that be a good thing for his students?

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 1:36am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    This thread made me think of one thing (beyond the TKDcrappler vs kids fooling around thing).

If this were presented as a textbook example of an armbar, and taught as such, by a qualified instuctor in a grappling based system, would that be a good thing for his students?

I guess it depends on if said instructor is planning on straighting the arm in the picture to make it an actual armbar instead of just kind of torquing the elbow and maybe the shoulder. There are some minor things wrong in the picture, but it looks like it was taken during an actual rolling session, so I'm willing to be much more forgiving than I would be of say . . . the thread I started about TKD Crapplers. Since the picture doesn't have a context that I can determine, I'm going to hope that it's not a finished product.

If it's just a picture of a crappler trying to do an armbar from guard, then I'm really not sure where you're going with this.
    Last edited by Cassius; 3/03/2006 1:38am at .

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 1:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raynor
    Shitstorm in 5, 4, 3...
    Did I just overanalyze a picture that ICY put up of himself in jest?

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 2:53am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

There are many ways to damage an arm. Most straight arm bars go for the middle of capsule. This arm bar on the other hand goes for the inside capsule, which takes less force to damage. I’ve had my elbow 'sploded by such a technique, it is perfectly legitimate.

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 3:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Shi Dist
    There are many ways to damage an arm. Most straight arm bars go for the middle of capsule. This arm bar on the other hand goes for the inside capsule, which takes less force to damage. I’ve had my elbow 'sploded by such a technique, it is perfectly legitimate.
    I'll take your word for it. I've never deviated very far from plain jane armbars.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 4:36am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is gay.

However, to me, bad crappling is the kind that comes from strikers buying a couple of grappling instructionals and then teaching the techniques wrong to students that don't know the difference.

Kids fooling around in basements is crappy grappling...but they either know that or are retarded beyond comprehension. I don't think it's a bad idea to practice and spar without a decent instructor if one is not available, or in addition to training with a good instructor.

TKD Mcdojo teaching grappling =/= Kids fooling around
    I agree with the fucking Canadian. Crappling, at least by my definition, is some idiot thinking they know enough grappling teaching their grappling and it'll end up getting watered down.

I didn't vote no, I vote a hell fucking no. Learn some real throws, see what real resistance is, non compliant mother fuckers willing to make you look stupid until you prove them wrong.

This thread is ultra gay. If I was SAMBO guy teachning limp wrist jack off punches we'd have every real puncher out there vomitting their respective asses off. Didn't everybody see that convict fight video, see where crappy striking gets you. Crappling won't get you anywhere but in a world of hurt.

Of course there's the Darwin theory that maybe most of you that voted yes will attempt a fucking weak ass take down and land on your fucking head or better yet think you have the uber sprawl or ultra upa and just piss somebody off as they cram you dick up your mouth.

gay gay gay, you fucking hippy wannabes!!!!!:pancakebu :angry1: :pancakebu

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 4:47am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry
    I hate to break it to you Garbanzo Bean but Shalin Do has introduced the Ground Monkey form or some such other BS name. So yes they do have ground fighting. I didn't get to see this kata demonstrated because it would have cost $75 a person, but would have loved to check it out.

Bry
    Any relation to spank the monkey? How about choke the monkey? Ground humping is not the same as ground fighting. They charge $75 to allow some dead fish fucker flop on the ground and pretend he's sucking on a dick? You need to get off this site and join a real school.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 4:49am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSLightsOut
    I have at least four or five training partners that are MA school owners in their own right.

They have recognized that their Karate/Kung Fu/KB/Whatever has no bearing on how they do on the ground. As a result, they have found competent grappling instruction to help them in this area.

Now, if these guys can put the time and effort in to get a blue or purple belt in BJJ, or , for that matter, certified in any grappling-specific MA in order to teach an actual grappling program, as opposed to going on the lazy man's route to a crappling program

I believe that any school owner with integrity would do the same, or seek out a suitably qualified individual to run a grappling program. There is no excuse for someone selling substandard teaching as the genuine article.
    Yeah! Listen to the Kangaroo fucker....:qleft3:

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 4:58am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kickcatcher
    Yeah, twas me. Like you I have mixed feelings about crappling. I was interested in the general feelings here especially as unlike in mainstream boards, there are lots of ‘real’ grapplers here.

When I first saw the vid where they are sparring on the grass and do some crappling, my first reaction was “good on them, at least they aren’t ignoring the ground”. But then it was followed by “ye gods, I’d LOVE to spar them”. If you google video search them you find that they put lots of sparring vids up but only those two vids include any grappling. Their sparring varies but is generally better than some mainstream arts, worse than others (IMO). Their grappling seems craptastic IMO – I think most would agree.

But this thread is about the wider issue of crappling. My gut feeling is that overall it’s a good thing because it’s a small step in the right direction and will hopefully lead to interaction with real grappling, or at least less of the “grappling doesn’t work” bullshit.

But at the same time I also think there is plenty of really bad crappling out there which needs to be targeted just like bad anything. There will be plenty of arseholes who apply the same old myths to their grappling and use it for solely commercial motives. That will remain bullshidoism.

But Bullshidoism is a sliding scale. The world is not black and white.

But I can’t help but think it’s at least a step in the right direction.

:englishmo

Modern era of information-use the allogory of the Cave if you want. We know what real grappling can do. We find out that jackoffs are charging decent money for craptastic techniques and pawning it off as something solid. No it's bullshit. What you're saying is more in line of some grappling arts are stronger than others. That's fine but sucky, sloppy, piss ass techniques will only lead to trouble.

There's nothing wrong with a karate/kung-fu or whatever school offering a groundfighting program where there's constant learning by the instructor and the students but to charge the students and pan yourself off as an expert as you're barely learning? Fucking bullshit.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast