3/03/2006 1:38pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy
    Hence, crappling. Hence, bullshido.

And, it's fooling the uninstructed.
    It's fooling people like you. The guy applying the armbar is very close to what we refer to as a 'fat man armbar'. So named because even a fat man can do it. All he has to do is squeeze his knees and walk them toward his opponents head and shoulder while maintaining the figure four. Once the opponent's chin/jawline is thoroughly smashed up against his shoulder and his head and shoulder are squeezed together as tightly as possible, you have a perfectly workable armbar. Thing is, any halfway experienced grappler will know this and can easily block the setup if they keep their base.

All this proves is if you present a photo as an instructional tool, you had damn well better know what you're doing, and take a good picture to demonstrate that fact.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 1:44pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    Wow.

The guys in those pictures are so tiny.

[/commentary]
    Yeah I noticed that as well.

But seriously guys, quit being apologists. Rolling around with your buddies to try to figure things out when you don't have any other option is one thing. It's not a good option, but if you have no other option, I can at least understand it. Teaching **** at your school because you don't want to hire a competent grappler (who would probably teach a class once a weak for CHEAP if you go with the right guy) for whatever reason (not wanting to introduce your students to actual alive training, being too proud, etc etc) is inexcusable and should be fought tooth and nail.

And on that note, my little meeting with the ATA TKD guys is going to have to wait a week. Some **** came up. One the bright side, I've got at least one fellow martial artist interested in speaking with those guys, so I'm not going in alone when I do go.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah but I am sure they don't know that in the picture.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 1:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    It's fooling people like you. The guy applying the armbar is very close to what we refer to as a 'fat man armbar'. So named because even a fat man can do it. All he has to do is squeeze his knees and walk them toward his opponents head and shoulder while maintaining the figure four. Once the opponent's chin/jawline is thoroughly smashed up against his shoulder and his head and shoulder are squeezed together as tightly as possible, you have a perfectly workable armbar. Thing is, any halfway experienced grappler will know this and can easily block the setup if they keep their base.

All this proves is if you present a photo as an instructional tool, you had damn well better know what you're doing, and take a good picture to demonstrate that fact.
    Haven't worked that, probably because it's a lower percentage move? I'll check it out, though - could be an option when you can't get the right angle on a triangle? At any rate, it adds a move to the bag.

You honestly think these guys display good grappling technique?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 2:08pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by greese1
    Yeah but I am sure they don't know that in the picture.
    Here's my primary point. What is the context of that picture? Is it being presented as an instructional tool. If not, who gives a damn how big its' crappling factor is?

Secondary point is that it is up to you, as a consumer, to find quality instruction in any MA. Why do so many people fail at this? Mostly because humans are lazy. If your doctor tells you that you will die in 6 months, what are the odds that you will seek a second opinion? Yet how many people apply that same logic to their MA of choice? A hobby/pursuit that could affect your chances of survival in some situatuions. Think of the cocky Yellow Bamboo guy.

On a personal note, I shopped around for a MA that suited me for years before I found Bjj. And the only reason I did find it is because a friend took a few classes and then called me up and said that I should go check it out. Before that I decided against 6 schools because I thought their subject matter looked like crap.

and chingythingy, it is a low percentage move and I don't think that the pic shows good grappling. That's not my point.

Edit: If they are presenting the picture as a good example of grappling then they should be punished accordingly.

Never mind, the only thing more retarded than this thread is the fact that I can't ignore it.
    Last edited by jnp; 3/03/2006 2:34pm at .
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 2:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread has me all over the place. First yes, then no. Now:
    What is crappling again?

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 2:20pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crappling - Sort of like taking your car to a guy who's never worked on an automobile for repairs. This guy may be a fantastic toaster repair guy but now he's offering to fix cars.

TKD

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That pic I posted was a STAGED (ie NOT SPARRING OR ALIVE TRAINING) pic, used to demonstrate grappling "prowess" and legitimacy...

It is NOT a failed armbar attempt.

It was posted as an example of a "good", "legit" technique, by a certain crappling instructor, certified to teach "grappling" by another crappler and/or CMA/RBSD circlejerker.

Posted On:
    3/04/2006 10:03am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    That pic I posted was a STAGED (ie NOT SPARRING OR ALIVE TRAINING) pic, used to demonstrate grappling "prowess" and legitimacy...

It is NOT a failed armbar attempt.

It was posted as an example of a "good", "legit" technique, by a certain crappling instructor, certified to teach "grappling" by another crappler and/or CMA/RBSD circlejerker.
    ZOUNDS! WE'VE BEEN HAD!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2006 11:23am

Style: Five Animal KF

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    It's a good thing. This means I will never be the worst grappler in the world. And my ego NEEDS that assurance.
    Amen to that!
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 11 LastLast