Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin
    Blinking, the 2 men stared at each other
    Awesome searchlight.

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 10:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yea, well my grandpa's grandpa had a gun fight against a samurai.
    I think Huo Yuan Jia had some encounters with some euro swordsmen, but every time you read some thing about him, the next thing says something totally different.

software engineer

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 11:33pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HwangJangLee
    yea, well my grandpa's grandpa had a gun fight against a samurai.
    I think Huo Yuan Jia had some encounters with some euro swordsmen, but every time you read some thing about him, the next thing says something totally different.
    Hence this thread about DOCUMENTED encounters.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 3:01pm

Style: Mizong Quan, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See: Magellan Got pwned by some Filipino fighters back in the day. Documented in the sense that they recorded the number of deaths on Magellans side and what weapons were primarily used. However, I dont think it ever got past poisoned missle weapons.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 3:18pm

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by losttrak
    See: Magellan Got pwned by some Filipino fighters back in the day. Documented in the sense that they recorded the number of deaths on Magellans side and what weapons were primarily used. However, I dont think it ever got past poisoned missle weapons.
    John Clements wrote interesting article considering this. http://www.thearma.org/essays/influence.htm
    If FMA were so great, how come they were conquered? Not meaning to start flamewar here, just an observation, as I have studied FMA myself.:eusa_ange

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 5:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by losttrak
    Magellan had about fifty men and Lapu-Lapu had over a thousand in that "battle" - the only surprising thing is that the Spanish lasted as long as they did.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 5:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberduck
    John Clements wrote interesting article considering this. http://www.thearma.org/essays/influence.htm
    If FMA were so great, how come they were conquered? Not meaning to start flamewar here, just an observation, as I have studied FMA myself.:eusa_ange
    I reckon the practical Spanish influence on FMA was not Renaissance rapier and dagger fencing, but rather 1800s/1900s military saber fencing. The segno pattern (numbered angles of attack, etc.) is ubiquitous in European fencing and unique to the FMA in Asia, suggesting a direct transmission; also, thousands of Filipinos were exposed to Spanish saber fencing at military academies, etc. during this period. I'm not necessarily saying that much FMA *technique* comes from saber, but fencing training systems do seem to have had a big influence.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2006 5:35am

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    I reckon the practical Spanish influence on FMA was not Renaissance rapier and dagger fencing, but rather 1800s/1900s military saber fencing. The segno pattern (numbered angles of attack, etc.) is ubiquitous in European fencing and unique to the FMA in Asia, suggesting a direct transmission; also, thousands of Filipinos were exposed to Spanish saber fencing at military academies, etc. during this period. I'm not necessarily saying that much FMA *technique* comes from saber, but fencing training systems do seem to have had a big influence.
    True. Some think espada y daga might be related to rapier and dagger, but I doubt it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 12:52pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WTF?

You mean Last Samurai was not a true story? How can that be?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 6:59pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberduck
    Lack of a unified government. The europeans were notorious for turning one indigenous group against another see also the conquest of the new world/africa/asia ect. While FMA is a viable combat system it is only as good as the economic and military force that back it in that order. So we come to the point were you see that FMA=good but is trumped by Europeans=bastards.

PT
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast