Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/09/2003 10:23am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give boxing a break, it has to be on top for a reason. Everyone says things have gone downhill, that it is boring now, and there are no good fighters but the PPV revenues still keep coming in and people still talk about it about a million times more than any other combat sport.

MMA would do anything to have the reputation and draw value of boxing, and would be have the exact same problems if it did. Top MMA fighters are already becoming more concerned about which fight pays the most instead of which is best challenges their abilities, and I don’t blame them for it. Why do anything more than necessary to win and put your entire career at risk, when there are a bigger and bigger paydays waiting for you down the road?

Sure boxing has Mike Tyson, but MMA has people like Tank Abbot, Gary Goodridge, and Bob Sapp that have also taken a gimmick that draws money to make up for diminished or never existent talent.

I know boxing often disappoints, but there have been some real snoozers in MMA also. Does anyone remember that horrendous Shamrock vs Severn “Superfight”?

If you want to be guaranteed a good show watch something scripted like WWE, but even then **** happens and guys get hurt in a way that makes it necessary to change the script. I guess when it comes down to it, you better of going to the movies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2003 3:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If an MMA guy had to fight under boxing rules a seasoned boxer would clean his clock. Hell for that matter if any martial artist would have to fight in a boxer's style (hands only no feet) they would probably loose.

They are totally different styles of fighting! Put a boxer in a ring and tell him he can use his feet against a black belt in martial arts he'll probably loose.

It's like comparing a train to a bus. Sure they will both get you to your destination, but is one really better than the other?

At least they still put boxing on TV. They rarely cover martial art bouts, and TKB is hardly every shown, and that's a sponsored business! Ultimate fighting is only on pay per view, or you have to buy / rent the tapes.

I say be glad at least some form of our sport is on TV!

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    5/09/2003 3:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh wow! I never knew that!!

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

Edited by - The Wastrel on May 09 2003 15:08:19
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    5/09/2003 7:14pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    boxing = yawn

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    (And my two creaky knees...)
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
  5. 9chambers

Posted On:
    5/10/2003 4:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wish they would at least show the wrestling and Judo on TV during the Olympics. All you see is gymnastics and swimming and crap. I want to see the wrestlers go at it.

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    5/11/2003 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watched the replay of the fight on TSN up here in Canada last night. The fight was definitely lagging, but if De La Hoya really had trouble with his left hand the WHOLE bout, that would explain it.

He also doesn't have much motivation against someone like Campas. Throw him in against Trinidad again or his upcoming fight in September which he is OBVIOUSLY pumped for. I'm willing to bet THAT fight would be one to watch.

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Happiness is finding yourself in the adoring gaze of one who loves you.
    I hope to once again know that feeling."
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Posted On:
    5/12/2003 3:07pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "throw" him against an aikido guy

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    (And my two creaky knees...)
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12