Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 4:01am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amkreet
    I know people that have made it out of a knife attack alive because of unarmed military training specifically for a situation like that, please refrain from saying that the person who taught them such a technique is irresponsible.
    Heres the problem with knife disarms- the people you're talking about are n fact most likely physical specimens, which means that athletic ability contributed greatly to their getting out of a knife attack.

Just because a few people can do it doesnt mean a technique is valid- a few super athletes may be able to pull the move off, but a technique that relies on strength is not very reliable when fighting someone bigger and stronger than you.

The thing that people need to realize is that things like knives and guns were invented to give some regular schmuck an advantage over someone who's much bigger and stronger than you- like it or not, no amount of training will give you an advantage over someone with a fucking gun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 4:07am

Style: Sheng Hun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't say an anti-gun attack saved my friend's life, I said the attacker was weilding a knife. Sure, he was in good shape, but it was still a question of being able to maneuver quickly enough and being able to use abilities stemming from martial arts and self defense - not something intrinsic to anyone.

You say that "Just because a few people can do it doesn't mean the technique is valid."

That's a relatively fair statement, but I choose to look at it as "Just because a few people can do it, those few people are still alive." The reason they're still alive is due to MA or Self Defense training. My friend's included.

Granted, i'm completely biased because it happened to someone close to me, thus affecting me, but I think any single bit of information you can get regarding saving your ass is worthwhile.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 4:41am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurt
    And yeah anyone who tries to sell you knife or gun disarming bullshit is grossly irresponsible.
    Just trying to get the nuances right: Do you mean that anyone teaching knife or gun disarms is selling you bullshit by definition?
    Or is it that anyone that teaches you disarms and tells you they are reliable is selling you bullshit?

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 5:00am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Imagine the crickets chirping if this thread was locked to anyone who had never had a gun pulled on them.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 5:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait......don't you mean 'ever had'?

Out of curiousity, who here has ever looked down the barrel of a gun?
    (A cops gun doesn't count, so i'm excluded already.)

edit: disregard that JC, I can't read, apparently.
    edit2: I read a thread recently about someone being mugged at gunpoint and managed to not die.
    (i'd post it but i'm using my psp and it's impossible to copy, and paste links, and it took me 20 minutes just to type this.)
    Last edited by Neildo; 3/01/2006 5:32am at .
    :new_all_c

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 5:31am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    Out of curiousity, who here has ever looked down the barrel of a gun?
    I did. I used my awesome NSMWHOW defense. (Nearly Shitting Myself While Handing Over Wallet).

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 5:40am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Imagine the crickets chirping if this thread was locked to anyone who had never had a gun pulled on them.

Only three peices of advise I can give you from being there and doing that . Yeah ... go me for yet again being helpfull ... sometimes I wonder what good all the knowledge I have picked up over the years is good for .

1.run
    2.don't panic
    3.run
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 5:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geijhan
    I did. I used my awesome NSMWHOW defense. (Nearly Shitting Myself While Handing Over Wallet).
    Damn. That sucks dude.

I never have money to carry, and I'd rather get shot trying to disarm the SOB than go through the hassle of replacing all my I.D. and stuff.
    :new_all_c

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 5:55am

Style: Short fat wimp style MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amkreet
    I know people that have made it out of a knife attack alive because of unarmed military training specifically for a situation like that, please refrain from saying that the person who taught them such a technique is irresponsible.
    Actually I was going to recant my statement and refer to Geijhan's clarification, but I think I'll stand by it now. Your "specific situation" is desperately vague, and got not one bit clearer when you tried to defend your position. Plainly put there is no technique that offers you an advantage. Sure there are ways to disarm someone that might nor be covered by most martial arts systems, but the raw facts of the matter don't change one bit. I'm positive I can also find no shortage of anecdotal evidence of people with absolutely no martial arts training surving knife attacks. I can't think of anything else about your "training for self defense" than it being irresponsible so I'll ask you to not tell me how to post and be more responsive to others' views. At least you know you have a bias, I doubt you can truly appreciate the degree however.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 6:12am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The whole idea of running from a guy with a gun/knife, is if your already point black next to him, running would only stab/shoot you in the back.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast