218358 Bullies, 7001 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 39
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Gumby is offline

    BJJ Purple Belt

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    881

    Posted On:
    3/01/2006 4:01am


     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amkreet
    I know people that have made it out of a knife attack alive because of unarmed military training specifically for a situation like that, please refrain from saying that the person who taught them such a technique is irresponsible.
    Heres the problem with knife disarms- the people you're talking about are n fact most likely physical specimens, which means that athletic ability contributed greatly to their getting out of a knife attack.

    Just because a few people can do it doesnt mean a technique is valid- a few super athletes may be able to pull the move off, but a technique that relies on strength is not very reliable when fighting someone bigger and stronger than you.

    The thing that people need to realize is that things like knives and guns were invented to give some regular schmuck an advantage over someone who's much bigger and stronger than you- like it or not, no amount of training will give you an advantage over someone with a fucking gun.
  2. Amkreet is offline
    Amkreet's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Stockton, California
    Posts
    26

    Posted On:
    3/01/2006 4:07am


     Style: Sheng Hun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't say an anti-gun attack saved my friend's life, I said the attacker was weilding a knife. Sure, he was in good shape, but it was still a question of being able to maneuver quickly enough and being able to use abilities stemming from martial arts and self defense - not something intrinsic to anyone.

    You say that "Just because a few people can do it doesn't mean the technique is valid."

    That's a relatively fair statement, but I choose to look at it as "Just because a few people can do it, those few people are still alive." The reason they're still alive is due to MA or Self Defense training. My friend's included.

    Granted, i'm completely biased because it happened to someone close to me, thus affecting me, but I think any single bit of information you can get regarding saving your ass is worthwhile.
  3. Otaku Waffle is offline
    Otaku Waffle's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Mechelen-Belgium
    Posts
    925

    Posted On:
    3/01/2006 4:41am


     Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurt
    And yeah anyone who tries to sell you knife or gun disarming bullshit is grossly irresponsible.
    Just trying to get the nuances right: Do you mean that anyone teaching knife or gun disarms is selling you bullshit by definition?
    Or is it that anyone that teaches you disarms and tells you they are reliable is selling you bullshit?
  4. JohnnyCache is offline
    JohnnyCache's Avatar

    All Out of Bubblegum

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,473

    Posted On:
    3/01/2006 5:00am

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Imagine the crickets chirping if this thread was locked to anyone who had never had a gun pulled on them.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
  5. Neildo is offline
    Neildo's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    6,045

    Posted On:
    3/01/2006 5:12am

    Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait......don't you mean 'ever had'?

    Out of curiousity, who here has ever looked down the barrel of a gun?
    (A cops gun doesn't count, so i'm excluded already.)

    edit: disregard that JC, I can't read, apparently.
    edit2: I read a thread recently about someone being mugged at gunpoint and managed to not die.
    (i'd post it but i'm using my psp and it's impossible to copy, and paste links, and it took me 20 minutes just to type this.)
    Last edited by Neildo; 3/01/2006 5:32am at .
    :new_all_c
  6. Otaku Waffle is offline
    Otaku Waffle's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Mechelen-Belgium
    Posts
    925

    Posted On:
    3/01/2006 5:31am


     Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    Out of curiousity, who here has ever looked down the barrel of a gun?
    I did. I used my awesome NSMWHOW defense. (Nearly Shitting Myself While Handing Over Wallet).
  7. BackFistMonkey is offline
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar

    Actual Photo

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    8,286

    Posted On:
    3/01/2006 5:40am

    supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Imagine the crickets chirping if this thread was locked to anyone who had never had a gun pulled on them.



    Only three peices of advise I can give you from being there and doing that . Yeah ... go me for yet again being helpfull ... sometimes I wonder what good all the knowledge I have picked up over the years is good for .

    1.run
    2.don't panic
    3.run
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
  8. Neildo is offline
    Neildo's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    6,045

    Posted On:
    3/01/2006 5:40am

    Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geijhan
    I did. I used my awesome NSMWHOW defense. (Nearly Shitting Myself While Handing Over Wallet).
    Damn. That sucks dude.

    I never have money to carry, and I'd rather get shot trying to disarm the SOB than go through the hassle of replacing all my I.D. and stuff.
    :new_all_c
  9. Hurt is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    near L.A.
    Posts
    325

    Posted On:
    3/01/2006 5:55am


     Style: Short fat wimp style MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amkreet
    I know people that have made it out of a knife attack alive because of unarmed military training specifically for a situation like that, please refrain from saying that the person who taught them such a technique is irresponsible.
    Actually I was going to recant my statement and refer to Geijhan's clarification, but I think I'll stand by it now. Your "specific situation" is desperately vague, and got not one bit clearer when you tried to defend your position. Plainly put there is no technique that offers you an advantage. Sure there are ways to disarm someone that might nor be covered by most martial arts systems, but the raw facts of the matter don't change one bit. I'm positive I can also find no shortage of anecdotal evidence of people with absolutely no martial arts training surving knife attacks. I can't think of anything else about your "training for self defense" than it being irresponsible so I'll ask you to not tell me how to post and be more responsive to others' views. At least you know you have a bias, I doubt you can truly appreciate the degree however.
  10. BlackStalyon is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    204

    Posted On:
    3/01/2006 6:12am


     Style: Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The whole idea of running from a guy with a gun/knife, is if your already point black next to him, running would only stab/shoot you in the back.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.