Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2006 5:51pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Man, my instructor actually said "this is a blood choke; if you make it a wind choke you are almost always doing it wrong. Trust me, if you want him out in 10 seconds not 45, it's a blood choke."

the variety is almost painful.
    well, i envy you.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/19/2006 2:51am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hadaka Jime is a blood choke. Double legs are crap if they are done the way most people do them but Morote Gari is a dynamic double leg and very much a part of Judo. It sounds like you happened into 2 **** Judo classes and its no wonder that you think that BJJ is better.

But I will say this, newbies should not use double legs or drag downs because they have to learn Judo......... I can almost guarantee that if you can't do a sweep in randori, you will not do pick ups correctly per Judo. Also, technique should be stressed, especially in training. You can use your muscle to get through techniques when you go to a shiai but you should not rely on it all the time. And the statement, "double legs don't work if your Judo is good" is partially true.

Judo can be modified to help you with MMA if you decide to get competent in Judo before making the transition. It sounds like you have different goals than learning Judo, you may wanna think about freestyle wrestling if you don't like BJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 10:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the BJJ club is actually a pancrace club. so yea, no questions, ill stay. they have only 2 MMA (KB+BJJ) classes a week, but acess to weights when i want, and heavybags when none's around.

in other words im fuckin happy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 10:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    also, where's that site when i can check the legitimacy of people's BJJ blackbelts? does it work worldwide or only US and brazil? does it list all the blackbelts? because the teacher was wearing one, not that i want to be a bitch but i want to make sure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 10:56am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vagrant
    also, where's that site when i can check the legitimacy of people's BJJ blackbelts? does it work worldwide or only US and brazil? does it list all the blackbelts? because the teacher was wearing one, not that i want to be a bitch but i want to make sure.

http://www.bjj.org

It's incredibly out of date.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 11:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tourettes
    http://www.bjj.org

It's incredibly out of date.

thanks, now onto getting the instructor last name without looking suspicious.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 11:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Man, my instructor actually said "this is a blood choke; if you make it a wind choke you are almost always doing it wrong. Trust me, if you want him out in 10 seconds not 45, it's a blood choke."

the variety is almost painful.
    My instructor said that carotid chokes are always preferable, but trachial chokes are useful in competition precisily because of the pain (they're pretty excrutiating ain't they). He said that a lot of people don't like them at all and will tap just at the hint of one coming on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 1:32pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    blood choke is better though but you can definitely encounter both

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Painful ego-wise or body-wise? I try to never injure my training partners. This means applying the subs slowly and with control. I might get the setup quickly, but I slow down once position is established. I'm not saying the brown did this to you, just stating my viewpoint.

If you're being a total dick while training I might sweep you onto your face though.
    Mostly ego. Subs were applied hard and quick, and stopped right before tapping would have been futile. Usually the guy rolls how you described you do (and how I do against white belts).

It was quite a demonstration of why he shortly after got his brown and why he was as a purple visiting other schools and tapping blacks. He's also one of the guys I've learned the most from.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 10:09pm

supporting memberforum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    My instructor said that carotid chokes are always preferable, but trachial chokes are useful in competition precisily because of the pain (they're pretty excrutiating ain't they). He said that a lot of people don't like them at all and will tap just at the hint of one coming on.

A lot of people won't fight any choke if it's locked in, at least at the local/in class level. They just tap without waiting to see if they're going to pass out or not.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast