Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    3/15/2006 3:24pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont think I've ever done uchikomi for more then 15 minutes at a time. Its just freakin boring. However when i'm bored and near a wall, I'll do a couple.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 10:07am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zing!
    How long were your practices?

We've had 45 min of uchikomi on several occasions. But they were followed by at least an hour of randori (4 min standing, 2 min ground, rince and repeat).
    usually class broke down like this: 5-10 minutes warmup, about 15 minutes ground drilling (mostly lame techs like going from backmount to kesagatame but some occasional good stuff) 5-10 minutes ground randori, then like 45 minutes to 1 hour either uchikomi or throwing, then about 10, 15 minutes standup randori.

the new school i found mostly doesnt do uchikomi, is heavy on conditioning, DOESNT YELL AT YOU FOR PICKUPS AND LEG GRABBING, trains 4 times a week instead of two, and competes. one thing i dont like tho, i rolled with one of the younger BB instructors for more than 10 minutes and escaped his pins nor didnt tap, that's kinda dissapointing, but i guess judo just isnt heavy on groundfighting.

i was mostly in the previous school because i couldnt afford anything else and planned to GTFO anyway, but this thread really made me realise the emergency of leaving.

now what rocks is yesterday i found an unsuspected BJJ school 15 minutes from my home, im going to the trial class tonight, but i dunno, they only train 2 times a week....ill see how it goes.

switching to BJJ might not be a bad idea, im tired of explaining to the instructors that a RNC is a choke, not a neck crank and asking what **** would work without teh gi.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 10:40am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my current inability to move my head without wincing, then wincing again because it hurts to wince, ad nauseaum, tells me my teacher is familiar with both the choking and cranking elements.

45 minutes seems like a hell of a lot of uchikomi...
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 10:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vagrant
    usually class broke down like this: 5-10 minutes warmup, about 15 minutes ground drilling (mostly lame techs like going from backmount to kesagatame but some occasional good stuff) 5-10 minutes ground randori, then like 45 minutes to 1 hour either uchikomi or throwing, then about 10, 15 minutes standup randori.

the new school i found mostly doesnt do uchikomi, is heavy on conditioning, DOESNT YELL AT YOU FOR PICKUPS AND LEG GRABBING, trains 4 times a week instead of two, and competes. one thing i dont like tho, i rolled with one of the younger BB instructors for more than 10 minutes and escaped his pins nor didnt tap, that's kinda dissapointing, but i guess judo just isnt heavy on groundfighting.

i was mostly in the previous school because i couldnt afford anything else and planned to GTFO anyway, but this thread really made me realise the emergency of leaving.

now what rocks is yesterday i found an unsuspected BJJ school 15 minutes from my home, im going to the trial class tonight, but i dunno, they only train 2 times a week....ill see how it goes.

switching to BJJ might not be a bad idea, im tired of explaining to the instructors that a RNC is a choke, not a neck crank and asking what **** would work without teh gi.
    Not all judo guys worry about the ground. My judo instructor's ground skills leave a lot to be desired, We have a lot of guys in the class that can tap him without much effort. But in the standup, he is king of the mat. He can turtle up fast though and is hard to move once he does.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 2:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or he was , you know, playing with a noob.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 3:46pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vagrant

I'm sure they are too.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 7:46pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Or he was , you know, playing with a noob.
    I second the above........
    I find everytime that I end up feeling good after rolling with one of the senior guys, its probably cause they didn't want to break the brittle boned cracker........... Then there is a few that relish the idea.........Fucking sadists.
    :love10:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 12:41pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, how's about that newbie "I'm beating this blackbelt! I rule!" attitude. Everyone goes through it. When you're new, you think damn, I'm doing great, until you see that senior you played turn it up a few degrees when they play their peers and then if you have any sense, you understand that they're being nice to you so you can learn.

In my dojos, you give the lower rank one chance to "win" and to work on being an offenseive player. Then you crush them with the appropriate degree of force to remove their ego though sometimes the stains are hard to get out of the tatami. If they still don't get it, the cycle repeats itself during standing randori. I watched one guy last night get thrown 5 times in about 30 seconds after being given opportunities to attack.

And Vagrant, getting yelled at for ankle picks and leg grabs when you're a beginner is a good thing - you need to learn judo basics like kuzushi first and later add in the picks and sacrifices. Might not make sense now, but it will in a year or two.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 1:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO
    I second the above........
    I find everytime that I end up feeling good after rolling with one of the senior guys, its probably cause they didn't want to break the brittle boned cracker........... Then there is a few that relish the idea.........Fucking sadists.
    :love10:
    That's why tapping a guy with knee on stomach once in awhile is required.

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 1:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    knee on stomach to clock choke is one of my favorite submissions.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast