Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 12:39pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disclaimer: I suck at judo

Uchikomi is a huge help to me. It trains entry to a throw, which is arguably the most important part (assuming that you dump the guy on his ass at the end). And since I still have relative noob status, decent throw entry is difficult for me during randori.

Specifically, moving uchikomi is the most helpful to me because you have to enter for the throw in a somewhat realistic way (not static). Also, it's good to be able work on combinations without getting thrown if my sweep wasn't perfect.

And, in response to the arguement that you're not practicing the throw as you would in randori, isn't the idea to improve your technique? The more you practice a throw (in realistic circumstances), the better your technique will get and the better you'll be able to perform it during randori.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 1:34pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, you have to do something before you actually throw some poor bastard, right?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on the person and his experience.

Early on, uchi-komi is probably more important for learning the technique and acquiring a set of body skills that apply across multiple techniques. I like to start with solo drills and plyometrics to develop beginners confidence in basic movements, then progress up the ladder.

However, once a person's acquired a certain skill set, uchi-komi are of much less use; maybe for warmup. Nage-komi, grip fighting, situational drills are more important for an experienced player.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 7:32pm

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depending on the throw the lift isn't always there.
    But yes, you're thinking of the correct activity.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 7:49pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If we did nagekomi like uchikomi, I'd be able to go once a month.

Uchikomi are good for dynamic entry practice and to speed up the reflexive responses in your body. The goal is for the throw to be so rehearsed, it can be done without thinking. It can be done with nagekomi but you'll break your training partner with that many high reps and the force of the throws.

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 9:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO
    If we did nagekomi like uchikomi, I'd be able to go once a month.

Uchikomi are good for dynamic entry practice and to speed up the reflexive responses in your body. The goal is for the throw to be so rehearsed, it can be done without thinking. It can be done with nagekomi but you'll break your training partner with that many high reps and the force of the throws.
    This is exactly how I feel about Uchikomi. When I learn a throw I need to rehearse the movement with high reps before my mind even considers using it in Randori.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 10:29pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like uchikomis - I feel that uchikomi is vital for my playing as it wakes things up and helps my body get used to/warm up to/learn the entry. Other players are different. I limit myself to 2 throws and move from static uchikomi to moving while trying to stay as relaxed and consistent as possible.

Nagekomi is necessary and fun, but I really appreciate walking upright these days.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 10:32pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is what I DON'T like - people that pop through these like they are doing jumping jacks.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 11:33pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Here is what I DON'T like - people that pop through these like they are doing jumping jacks.
    The scary thing is when it looks like they are doing jumping jacks until you uke for their uchikomi. Then you see that they are breaking your balance and actually doing a good entry, that is scary.

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    3/07/2006 9:45am

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One hgood thing about uchi komi, it's the only time I can actually pull off ippon seonage.
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast