Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 7:51pm

Style: Jujutsu, freestyle Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't referring to anyone in particular with the sword comments. He may be able to take us both at once for all I know, though I doubt it. That's the thing with swords, it's really impossible to make an accurate assessment, short of a real shobu. I just think most of the koryu stylists have their head up their ass.
    I wish to hell I could afford a couple sets of o-yoroi, and use blunted steel blades.

My shinai are totally shot, but I'm ordering some Ceylon bamboo(the thick kind) and some leather in a couple weeks. Fukuro shinai are really pretty easy to make with just simple hand tools. It looks like the end cost shouldn't be more than about 10 bucks a piece, plus a couple hours labor. Really, getting hit with one of them is only a little less painful than taking whacks with a bokken.
    Ya know, I always hear that bokken aren't meant for sparring, but me and my friends have been playing with them for about 15 years. Worst that ever happened was a couple of broken fingers. I almost lost a hand in an industrial accident, plus I've got about 5 herniated discs. When you get that **** making minimum wage, martial arts suddenly doesn't seem all that risky anymore.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 11:19pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WunHungLo
    I wasn't referring to anyone in particular with the sword comments. He may be able to take us both at once for all I know, though I doubt it. That's the thing with swords, it's really impossible to make an accurate assessment, short of a real shobu. I just think most of the koryu stylists have their head up their ass.
    I wish to hell I could afford a couple sets of o-yoroi, and use blunted steel blades.

My shinai are totally shot, but I'm ordering some Ceylon bamboo(the thick kind) and some leather in a couple weeks. Fukuro shinai are really pretty easy to make with just simple hand tools. It looks like the end cost shouldn't be more than about 10 bucks a piece, plus a couple hours labor. Really, getting hit with one of them is only a little less painful than taking whacks with a bokken.
    Ya know, I always hear that bokken aren't meant for sparring, but me and my friends have been playing with them for about 15 years. Worst that ever happened was a couple of broken fingers. I almost lost a hand in an industrial accident, plus I've got about 5 herniated discs. When you get that **** making minimum wage, martial arts suddenly doesn't seem all that risky anymore.

I been playing with making one. However, I really been having trouble with the design and such. We have a bunch of Yagyu style Fukuro shinai at the dojo and I know how that feels. I still have scars on my hands.

I will PM you later, if you are coming down and you have the time. I would definately buy 2 off you. Expect a PM about it. :)

Yes most Ko Ryu guys are snobbish. I usually just ask them to spar. If they do, they learn to respect (unless they are THAT much better). If they don't spar then I know there no better then any other "too deadly to spar" martial artist.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/04/2006 2:12pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I eat with chopsticks an awful lot actually. I got bet once I would use them or nothing for everything I ate for a month and I was off (The other half of the bet - no chinese food!) I'm not really one of "those guys" either. I just buy them along other disposable silverware.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 5:08am

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    I been playing with making one. However, I really been having trouble with the design and such. We have a bunch of Yagyu style Fukuro shinai at the dojo and I know how that feels. I still have scars on my hands.

Yes most Ko Ryu guys are snobbish. I usually just ask them to spar. If they do, they learn to respect (unless they are THAT much better). If they don't spar then I know there no better then any other "too deadly to spar" martial artist.
    Kashima has awesome fukoro shinai- we get them made special and all that. (they're a couple hundred a pair) Also, I'd have to say that our bokutos are great for hard sword contact- one of these days, I'll post pictures. The bokutos are expensive, but you can get them from a few different places in Japan.

And I think I'm a very nice Koryu guy.... (and pretty much the only one on Bullshido!)

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 12:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    I eat with chopsticks an awful lot actually. I got bet once I would use them or nothing for everything I ate for a month and I was off (The other half of the bet - no chinese food!) I'm not really one of "those guys" either. I just buy them along other disposable silverware.
    I ate your Mom with chopsticks!!!
    (Damn, that sounds weird when I say it out loud... Oh well.)
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617