Page 17 of 17 First ... 71314151617
  1. #161

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    170
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't referring to anyone in particular with the sword comments. He may be able to take us both at once for all I know, though I doubt it. That's the thing with swords, it's really impossible to make an accurate assessment, short of a real shobu. I just think most of the koryu stylists have their head up their ass.
    I wish to hell I could afford a couple sets of o-yoroi, and use blunted steel blades.

    My shinai are totally shot, but I'm ordering some Ceylon bamboo(the thick kind) and some leather in a couple weeks. Fukuro shinai are really pretty easy to make with just simple hand tools. It looks like the end cost shouldn't be more than about 10 bucks a piece, plus a couple hours labor. Really, getting hit with one of them is only a little less painful than taking whacks with a bokken.
    Ya know, I always hear that bokken aren't meant for sparring, but me and my friends have been playing with them for about 15 years. Worst that ever happened was a couple of broken fingers. I almost lost a hand in an industrial accident, plus I've got about 5 herniated discs. When you get that **** making minimum wage, martial arts suddenly doesn't seem all that risky anymore.

  2. #162
    <plasma>'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,576
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WunHungLo
    I wasn't referring to anyone in particular with the sword comments. He may be able to take us both at once for all I know, though I doubt it. That's the thing with swords, it's really impossible to make an accurate assessment, short of a real shobu. I just think most of the koryu stylists have their head up their ass.
    I wish to hell I could afford a couple sets of o-yoroi, and use blunted steel blades.

    My shinai are totally shot, but I'm ordering some Ceylon bamboo(the thick kind) and some leather in a couple weeks. Fukuro shinai are really pretty easy to make with just simple hand tools. It looks like the end cost shouldn't be more than about 10 bucks a piece, plus a couple hours labor. Really, getting hit with one of them is only a little less painful than taking whacks with a bokken.
    Ya know, I always hear that bokken aren't meant for sparring, but me and my friends have been playing with them for about 15 years. Worst that ever happened was a couple of broken fingers. I almost lost a hand in an industrial accident, plus I've got about 5 herniated discs. When you get that **** making minimum wage, martial arts suddenly doesn't seem all that risky anymore.

    I been playing with making one. However, I really been having trouble with the design and such. We have a bunch of Yagyu style Fukuro shinai at the dojo and I know how that feels. I still have scars on my hands.

    I will PM you later, if you are coming down and you have the time. I would definately buy 2 off you. Expect a PM about it. :)

    Yes most Ko Ryu guys are snobbish. I usually just ask them to spar. If they do, they learn to respect (unless they are THAT much better). If they don't spar then I know there no better then any other "too deadly to spar" martial artist.

  3. #163
    JohnnyCache's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,528
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I eat with chopsticks an awful lot actually. I got bet once I would use them or nothing for everything I ate for a month and I was off (The other half of the bet - no chinese food!) I'm not really one of "those guys" either. I just buy them along other disposable silverware.


  4. #164

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, baby!
    Posts
    121
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    I been playing with making one. However, I really been having trouble with the design and such. We have a bunch of Yagyu style Fukuro shinai at the dojo and I know how that feels. I still have scars on my hands.


    Yes most Ko Ryu guys are snobbish. I usually just ask them to spar. If they do, they learn to respect (unless they are THAT much better). If they don't spar then I know there no better then any other "too deadly to spar" martial artist.
    Kashima has awesome fukoro shinai- we get them made special and all that. (they're a couple hundred a pair) Also, I'd have to say that our bokutos are great for hard sword contact- one of these days, I'll post pictures. The bokutos are expensive, but you can get them from a few different places in Japan.

    And I think I'm a very nice Koryu guy.... (and pretty much the only one on Bullshido!)

  5. #165
    Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now. supporting member
    Coyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,190
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    I eat with chopsticks an awful lot actually. I got bet once I would use them or nothing for everything I ate for a month and I was off (The other half of the bet - no chinese food!) I'm not really one of "those guys" either. I just buy them along other disposable silverware.
    I ate your Mom with chopsticks!!!
    (Damn, that sounds weird when I say it out loud... Oh well.)

Page 17 of 17 First ... 71314151617

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO