Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 12:49pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, it is misunderstood. I joined the Mailing list and it is a motivational message. It gives you decent tips on how to make your training better. It is free. No, I don't grapple. It just sounded misleading but, it isn't.

Now, it does say they are coming out with some type of program and you will get a discount. This is the only thing I'm curious about personally.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 1:04pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Hi my name is Leo Dalla. I used to laugh when Lloyd used to go and
    write into his notebook after each in every class. Back then he was
    just a white belt he was always taking notes, studying and never let
    anyone else look into notes ... In Brasil we just train, no scientific method just train."

Is there any more to the "blueprint" than common-sense advice about note-taking and organization, etc.? I agree that most BJJ & grappling instruction I've experienced is woefully short on standard educational precepts such as systematic skill progression, drill, and review, opting instead for a haphazard learning-by-osmosis approach, and I'm willing to believe that an improved pedagogy could cut years of training time. The hard part, it seems to me, would be implementing such a system while training at school that doesn't teach accordingly. Does Irvin simply advocate intelligently programmed independent study? Anybody know?

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree ... yes it IS a reflection on them .

I think ALL instuctors should be held to their "marketing and advertising gimicks " . People say the Systema video's are just marketing and gimicks ...
    -Not a good example to mention Systema. Lloyd has produced very succesful competitors in several combat sports. Vlad has not.

That said, marketing is a very subjective thing. If I buy $150 Air Jordans, I still can't dunk a basketball. Is this a negative reflection on the NBA?

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 1:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok so if its just a sports psychology manual, whats with the claims of get your bb in 3.5 yr?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 1:13pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And by the way, who is this man, and why doesn't Sombo have the title of gayest sport ever rather than BJJ?

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    -Not a good example to mention Systema. Lloyd has produced very succesful competitors in several combat sports. Vlad has not.

That said, marketing is a very subjective thing. If I buy $150 Air Jordans, I still can't dunk a basketball. Is this a negative reflection on the NBA?
    Yes that is a valid point Lloyd has produced good fighters ... and you're not exactly talking about no-touch grappling or psychic RNCs . I believe in this instance producing fighters and in the end not offering the blackbelts themselves but instead motivational material , pretty much clears Lloyd of everything but the shady/shity marketing techniques .

The point is people should question and often especialy when the well known names are making strange or misleading claims in their advertising .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 1:22pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, it worked because you are talking about him.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 1:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eternal Rage,
    Lloyd received his black belt in 3.5 years. He did this teaching and training mostly white and blue belts with the occasional trip to Brazil and visits to the US from Leo Dalla. This is a huge feat. It is much easier to get better when you have training partners that are more advanced than you to push you. Lloyd did not have that benefit. The products he sells are designed to help others do the same or at least shorten the learning curve.

That pic is Eric Groves. He used to beat on me back in the day.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    ok so if its just a sports psychology manual, whats with the claims of get your bb in 3.5 yr?
    It's called marketing :P Part of marketing is about getting your attention, and such claims are just doing the job (the fact that we are all reading and writing in this forum shows that those gimmicks got our attention.) But from there, it's up to the potential customer to read the fine prints and see whether the product is legit or not.

It's like those small yellow signs you see nailed on light posts at the beginning of each year : "We solve your tax problems: call 888-blah-blah-blah". Those ads are for services that can facilitate the handing of your tax problems, but they won't solve them - at least not literally.

People may complain that such marketing ploys in Martial Arts are unbecoming of them. Yet, one cannot remove the responsibility of potential customers in reading the fine print and see what this is all about. If someone has been dedicated enough to do BJJ for a few months after the initial start, it would be expected of him to have some sense that it's impossible to get a BB in BJJ in 3 years by just reading a manual.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 1:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Well, it worked because you are talking about him.
    Which is a good thing ... * shrugs * I am also signing up for a newsletter .

I dont get all worked up when I search and find good things at the end of the rainbow ... that makes me content . I disagree with the tactics and always will .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast