Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 12:37pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chuck.... try loosening them up with some good stretches (stretching also strengthens to some degree). Once they're very loose try putting weight on them as much as you can bear, like doing pushups and stuff... a good exercise for strengthening wrists is doing knuckle pushups, since you have to keep your wrists straight. When you build up a little more strength, try doing reverse pushups, (I find those really stretch and strengthen) and finally, Vertical Pushups.

--A poor band player I was, but now I am crocodile king. --
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel
  2. 9chambers

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 2:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >Also, has anyone else noticed that
    >handstand pushups seem to work your
    >forearms/grip like nothing else?

I like 'em but for grip climbing is cool. I don't have access to any crossing bars now. I want to build some in my yard when I get money. I miss the monkey bars. I can't help it. The lats and upper chest are so important to the type of punching that I do. Moreso even than the shoulders and the triceps. The upper chest is the springing mechanism and the lat drives it through. I guess it all depends what you are going for.. I like the lat pull, rows and dips.

Also, one pull-up I use is a "racoon pull-up" where you wrap both hands around a pole from opposite sides and pull yourself up to one side and then to the other. You have to do more of them to get as much as regular pull-ups but they work the whole upper body at the same time, with more focus on the torso than the arms. I value that more with my style of punching. I also do pull-ups though.

* Poppeyes - This is a forearm exercise called "poppeyes" where you take a DB in each hand, let your arms hang down at your sides and swing the DB in and out with your wrist. You curl it inward and then outward. Do a few sets with heavy weight for high reps or until failure.

* Stretching - I think kick paces do much more for you than splits. I like the hurdler stretch though. I use it during cool down every workout. But doing 500 or so various kick paces among other things is going to stretch you out plenty. I still do all of my stretches once a week though. Most days it's just hurdlers, some arm stretches against a wall and a few spontaneous ones.

Edited by - 9chambers on May 05 2003 14:12:59

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 3:19pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why are lats important for your punches?

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 3:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Chuck,

I have a really messed up left wrist due to a fracture I got playing volleyball in high-school that I didnít seek medical attention for until it was too late to do anything about it.

Since then Iíve had the same problems you have, when I do push-ups I usually stop because my wrist canít take anymore, not because my muscles wonít let me do more push-ups. I also have significantly diminished grip strength on that side.

The advice Iíve read so far is the same type of stuff that I got when I started to look around for ways to strengthen my wrist. The problem is they are for people that have healthy wrists and want stronger than normal ones and were too advanced for me. I found it very difficult to do any of the things that were suggested to me, and had to go back and try again from more of a physical therapy mindset.

Simple things you can do, are grab any old stick and just roll your wrist around lightly to increase your range of motion, flexibility, and strength. Another exercise I do is dip a large bath towel in a bucket of water and wring it out until it is as dry as I can get it. This really works the forearms and has helped stabilize wrist.

The other thing Iíve had to decide to live with is using some sort of wrap or support on my left side. I feel it really cuts done on the strain I feel, whether the wrap is doing all that much or it is just a psychological thing, I donít know.
  5. 9chambers

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 3:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nihil,

*Because I use lunges. I also lean into the hit. Push in with your legs and back. Drive it through.
    *Because most times I am starting out from a relaxed position rather than match sparring stances. The action of launching the arm from a relaxed position at your side uses your upper chest and your lat.
    *Because I drive my shoulder into the punch rather than just jabbing out with my arm. I shoot through the target instead of just tapping it.
    *Because I tend to guard myself behind raised shoulders and throw overhands and corkscrew punches.
    *I also tend to angle low punches around half way between an uppercut and a hook sometimes. I can come over the top though. I am low and under my shoulders, lunging forward over my legs. I don't stay over my butt and play back.
    *Also, I throw my punches in there for velocity and impact (like whip kicks) and follow them through with the push. When I land the punch it isn't over. First there is the impact and then instantly the driving through. I keep my elbows bent on impact and keep forcing forward on into the punch.

In other words I punch through the target. Bruce Lee had huge lats and extremely defined upper chest muscles. Speed comes from there, because this is where you initiate action from a relaxed position. If you are just holding your arms up and extending your elbows then that is not going to generate a lot of force, depending on your stance.

It comes from the hip, push your back into the punch.

I will set up with a fast lead from a relaxed position, follow up with a cross and switch guards into a lunging cross. Then shove, kick with my lead leg which is in the rear leg position or grab. - I will also step across and bring a cross around like an uppercut. - I also tug a guy's arm and dive right in with a hook or cross.

More later, I want to go for a bikeride before the sun goes down.

Sorry if this was confusing. It looks so nice outside.

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 8:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lats pull your arm back (like a row) or down (like a chin-up)...

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/LatissimusDorsi.html

Scientifically speaking, your lat does extension and adduction, mostly. Well, you probably mean a whole slew of muscles, and lats can't HURT, but you need to work all of those muscles so you can move it good. Your claviclar head of your pecs (upper chest), your anterior and later heads of your deltoid, and your biceps to some extent are what bring your arm up and out. Obviously, you need those muscles too. EXRX could help with specifics about what muscles move what, where.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html <- workouts for each muscle

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Articulations.html <- what muscle moves a joint, in what way. VERY specific.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 11:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punisher:

many thanks. I'll try those out. I have been wrapping the right wrist, yeah, I don't know if it really works or not. It may be mental.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 11:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TaeBo Master:

Thanks. But what is a reverse pushup? I do knuckle pushups. That has helped some.
  9. 9chambers

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 3:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >Lats pull your arm back
    >(like a row) or down
    >(like a chin-up)...

Look, I am not the only person who says lats are used in punching. It's pretty common. Lats are used when you push a door open. They are used when you take a drink of water. They are involved in most everything that you use your arms to do.

>Scientifically speaking, your lat does
    >extension and adduction, mostly. Well,
    >you probably mean a whole slew of muscles,

The muscle going from under your shoulder down along the side of your rib cage.. I know what a lat is.

>and lats can't HURT,

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

>but you need to work all of those muscles
    >so you can move it good. Your claviclar
    >head of your pecs (upper chest), your
    >anterior and later heads of your deltoid,
    >and your biceps to some extent are what
    >bring your arm up and out.

I am sure your butt is involved in there somewhers too. But the upper chest tugs the arm up and launches it from where it was resting moreso than the bicep. The lat is what does the work when your waist twists.. it isn't your pelvis hurling that arm in there, it's your back.

>Obviously, you need those muscles too.
    >EXRX could help with specifics about
    >what muscles move what, where.

Ok, yay you are smart. Maybe you are a physical therapist. Yeeha. I know how I punch. Every muscle in the body is involved when you punch. I didn't say that your arm is limp the whole time. I just said that the upper chest and the lat bring the speed. The upper chest because it flexes first and harder than your bicep or shoulder. Honestly, your bicep is only flexed for a fraction of a second before your tricep starts pushing the arm forward and takes over. The shoulder flexes as well.. but your lat does a lot of the work in driving that punch forward as you twist your waist.

Does the bicep flex when you twist your waist? Do the shoulders need to flex? Your lats do.

Maybe you don't know how to punch this way. Fine. Watch some boxers in slow motion and see what flexes. Me, I can feel it. I know what is flexing on my body.

I don't need a vocabulary lesson.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 12:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another reason to work your lats is some much needed impact proctection on you rib area.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast