Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 2:25am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've experimented a lot between weight lifting and doing calisthenics (pushups, pullups, etc using your own body as resistance). As a result of all my experiments, I've found that for me, using bodyweight exercises results in more strength, stamina and flexibility. My current workout consists of Hindu Pushups (Cat stretches as Bruce Lee called them), Reverse Pushups, Handstand pushups, Curl Ups, and Vertical Leaps. Of course, this is all preceeded by a lot of stretching and warming up, including both back bridges and front bridges. But what do you guys find works for you?

--A poor band player I was, but now I am crocodile king. --
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 2:59am

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pushups, pullups,'windmill' arms, and strike practice for the upper body. i also like waidan style strike practice.

abdomen strength is important. all kinds of basic cals for that.

i train legs the most. hip straddles, stretches, and various footwork patterns executed in a low posture(thighs at 90 or less).

two things stand out for me.

the first is a method of a basic kick practice. three kicks are delivered with the same leg. they are done very slowly, and with dynamic tension and breathing. doing a front kick, side kick, and back kick without dropping the leg to the ground between kicks is a excellent drill for balance,flexibility,strength,and form practice.

the other is the silat dempok/sempok posture. it is a scissor stance, which is lowered almost all the way to the ground. not something to be jumped right into, takes a little flexibility first.

peace.

"Now why would you just stand there and watch him do that!?"
    -teacher

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 3:04am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I favor a similar style of workout. For one, no gym membership or special equipment is needed and you can do it while watching TV.

I’ve been told that doing body weight exercises, especially ones that resemble movements in your martial training and work several muscle groups at once, do a better job of increasing your “functional” strength, than most iron weight exercises.

One thing I don’t do is bridges. I’ve heard too many negative things about what can happen if you do them wrong, even from some guys that swear by them to do them myself. I use other isometric exercises such trying to “push” my head into my hands to strengthen my neck.

The other thing I DON’T do is static stretching. This is where I believe were the majority of martial arts related “warm-ups” go wrong. There is a lot of credible sports medicine out there that says static stretching before a workout can actually increase you risk of injury and can decrease the effectiveness of the training that follows it. I concentrate on dynamic stretching, such as controlled leg lifts at approximately 50% of my kicking speed, for a warm up purposes and for flexibility training.

All of this is working pretty well for me. My endurance is way up and although I haven’t gained or lost any weight, I now an able to give guys that outweigh me by 100 lbs a run for their money at my school’s striking power competitions. My biggest gains have been in my flexibility and my kicking skills. For years and years I tried every static stretch in the book and every stretching machine on the market, with little or no results. Now I am able to kick a guy 4 inches taller than me in the head, and do it with enough power that he actually considers it a threat and properly respects my ability to do so.

Edited by - Punisher on May 04 2003 03:06:40

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 4:27am

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I noticed a lot of guys who lift weights tear muscles frequently and have bad joints. Though a light weight lifting routine with cal excercises isn't bad at all. It's just when you bulk up and only weight train and dont do cals is when your injury prone. This you all probably know. :sigh:

Cast in the name of God. Ye not guilty.
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 5:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's interesting Punisher.

I've never heard that about static stretching before, but I could see where it might actually make sense. Not really from a physiological point of view, but from the view that much of what they teach in most schools is probably flat out wrong.

I like the idea of being able to throw "real" kicks to the head. I've seen people who can do it, but very few. I have not been in any MA schools for many years now, so I realize that my exposure is limited, but from what I recall of the various schools I went to, there weren't many people who were a real threat with kicks to the head.

You call that chi?!

Edited by - tombot on May 04 2003 05:21:09

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 9:23am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punisher,
    I've read the same thing about static strecthing; especially static strecthing of the legs, which can cause lordosis.

Calisthenic exercises can easily cause injury if you do them incorrectly. Diamond push-ups are a particular example.

"I'm devastating, looking for some refreshment!"

Courtesy of flubtitles.com
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 9:27am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone know some good resources for bodyweight exercises?

HEY! YOUR WIFE IS UGLIER THAN ANY UGLY PIG!!!
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 9:29am

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wastrel, what is lordosis?

peace.

"Now why would you just stand there and watch him do that!?"
    -teacher

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 9:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lordosis

You call that chi?!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 12:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually do weight training 3 days a week, I try to cover almost every muscle in the body and go mainly for reps.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast