Posted On:
    2/26/2006 10:35pm

Style: Hei Long Gong Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mydnight
    Yes we do use foam weapons.
    :5yo: I HATE BOFFERS!

Hey... wait a sec... are you Mydnight from Daves ESL Cafe?

You could do what Omar did... Go to a gym and start hitting the heavy bag until some guys decide to "correct" you and then segue into friendly sparring...

Or you could do what I am doing and set up a club through your school.... Unless you teach kindergarten that is... Remember I teach Uni.
    Last edited by Simon McNeil; 2/26/2006 10:40pm at .

Posted On:
    2/26/2006 11:23pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >The base problem, however, is that your MA is structured in such a way that taking >advantage of people is essentially part of the curriculum.

Yes, indeed, it does now, but it wasn't always that way. The ranking system was put in place not to steal people's money, but to allow Americans see quick, tangable progression; sorta catering to the American lack of patience in the early 90s. Before that, it had the standard ranking system of traditional TKD and the standard forms.

I'm merely reflecting on the past of the organization vs. the present. I have considered teaching the old style here and see how it goes.

Why did I choose ATA? The answer is fairly simple: It was the only thing around. The other schools in town were usually in people's backyards and garages, unorganized, and viewed as dangerous by most people. I was only 11 or 12...

Why did I stay with it? What in the hell did I know at that age. Do I want to find another school, of course! I now live in China, though, and if you could believe it, there isn't as much MA in China as most people think. I visited a TKD school here and it was more sloppy than what I saw in most ATA schools I visited. Same thing went for a Wushu school, Kempo school, and a "traditional gongfu" school that I played with.

What's a boy to do?
    You're in China. Find some Sanda.

Posted On:
    2/26/2006 11:47pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    Any voluntary activity that has adults chanting:

"courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self-control, and indomitable spirit"

. . .and wielding Ninja Turtle weapons

Is worthy of ridicule.
    Damn you. I still hear that in my head at times for every first 5 of a set of push-ups I do. The 80's, hair bands, and TKD...

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 2:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >You're in China. Find some Sanda.

Good idea, indeed. I've found 2 or 3 "schools" that are not affiliated with any sort of national program and seemed to be run by some dudes that like to steal money from their students. It seems to be the way things are done here down South in China. The northern areas are more famous for MA. An interesting paradox because one of China's most famous folk heros, also reputed to be a "gongfu master" of sorts, Huang Fei Hong (Wang Fei hong) is from Guangdong.

Simon. Yes, I'm the same Mydnight. I have thought of starting a club at one of the UNIs I teach at, but they already have a pretty crappy TKD program available there. If I went there, I would have to whoop the "instructor's" overweight ass if I wanted to garner any respect from any prospective students. I'd rather not waste the time; I've seen the way he instructs and I, not to mention the few students he has, are not impressed.

Right now, I'm going to a local gym, stealing some floor space and a bag, and taking 3 or 4 of my friends/students to train there. I'd love to get some equipment and teach them a bit of sparring, but it seems the only way is to order it on the net and hope it doesn't get lost through China customs. Any ideas on that?

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 4:02am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a 3rd dan black belt in ATA, and I must say that I am absolutely ashamed of what they are doing now. This is partially in reply to the grappling post that I read in which I saw an overweight ATA blackbelt being "manhandled" by some dude in a red t-shirt. I guess I should give a little background of myself before I continue.
    If you're referring to this thread: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31765 , you actually misinterpreted it. Those are actually two ATA TKD black belts demonstrating absolutely horrid grappling. Like so bad that I don't really even know how to explain how bad it is. On the other hand, I applaud their interest in fleshing their own martial arts skills out, even if they are probably going about it the wrong way right now.

I am in the middle of trying to track these guys down so I can help them out with this, or at the very least, ensure that they are not teaching this garbage to their students.

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 5:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >I am in the middle of trying to track these guys down so I can help them out with this, or >at the very least, ensure that they are not teaching this garbage to their students.

I'm sure they ARE teaching it to their students.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 5:55am

Style: Hei Long Gong Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right now, I'm going to a local gym, stealing some floor space and a bag, and taking 3 or 4 of my friends/students to train there. I'd love to get some equipment and teach them a bit of sparring, but it seems the only way is to order it on the net and hope it doesn't get lost through China customs. Any ideas on that?
    Well I haven't seen MMA gloves yet but I know that large athletic stores carry boxing gloves, bag gloves, etc. As for focus pads and bags you can get them just about anywhere you can get tin swords and nunchaku... ie: anywhere.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12