Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 2:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    All my Krotty stuff comes from personal experience.
    Some of mine is aswell, sigh.

Krotty is: "No, your holding me too tight, in a real situation you attacker would keep his grip loose so he can hit you, very loose now..."

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Krotty is thinking that a clinch and knee strategy will work every time on a BJJ artist.

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 2:49pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Krotty is : "Shihan": Ok grab my arm...No the other arm...No the same arm...I mean use your left and grab my right...turn your hand over...grab me like this...Ok. If an attaker grabs you like this class..........

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 3:16pm

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    Krotty is a 5ft, 450lb man named "Melvin" in a Ninja suit.
    All my Krotty stuff comes from personal experience.
    My gods! In that case all I can say is "Thatīs not ass. Thatīs a spacestation."

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 3:52pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think behind the suckage there is obviously some cultural forces at work. For example of the Americans learning Okanowin (sp) Karate, there were a few who lived on this island in the 1950s with the interest in actually learning japanese language and culture. This did not necessarily make them great fighters, what it did what ensure that they had enough cultural chops not to adopt some of the stupider cultural trappings of American Krotty.

Then there were the service men, usually Marines, who studied these arts as fighting tools, I'm specifically thinking of men like Joe Lewis, and Gary Alexander. Tough men, who practiced at a different level of contact and committment then today's strip mall dojo.

I should mention that I had a former karate instructor named Don Nelson when I was a kid who studied on Okanowia as a Marine and he absolutely hated the trappings of Krotty.

But once you get instructors who are at least a generation removed from ever having visited this Island you start seeing the weird cultural ad ons that make American Krotty so ridiculous.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    I think behind the suckage there is obviously some cultural forces at work. For example of the Americans learning Okanowin (sp) Karate, there were a few who lived on this island in the 1950s with the interest in actually learning japanese language and culture. This did not necessarily make them great fighters, what it did what ensure that they had enough cultural chops not to adopt some of the stupider cultural trappings of American Krotty.

Then there were the service men, usually Marines, who studied these arts as fighting tools, I'm specifically thinking of men like Joe Lewis, and Gary Alexander. Tough men, who practiced at a different level of contact and committment then today's strip mall dojo.

I should mention that I had a former karate instructor named Don Nelson when I was a kid who studied on Okanowia as a Marine and he absolutely hated the trappings of Krotty.

But once you get instructors who are at least a generation removed from ever having visited this Island you start seeing the weird cultural ad ons that make American Krotty so ridiculous.
    Interesting post. Thanks!!!

Two questions still remind : what is it about the red gi? And what do people mean when they refer to the 'musical kata'? (For the later question, I'm bracing myself I have a dark, dreaded feeling that the answer to 'musical kata' is going to reveal a level of stupidity of a level I could have never imagine :P)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 5:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is informative Sam .But it does not explain how is it that those Marine and Air-force service personnel left Okinawa in the 50's with a shodan and 30 years later have magically become 10th Dans in a system that obviously has not kept any ties with the organization back in Japan.

You can thank the President of ITF of TKD for the whe whole musical Katas he allowed to be introduced into TKD in the early 80's.

And also the Red Gi tops with blue pants are just cool.

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 5:05pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard the way one gets the 10th dan, is to look through Okanowa for a martial arts master hard up on cash, and arrange a cerimony. Now that's heresay, and I can't prove it, but its what the gossip is.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 5:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We want names!Also why are you spelling it Okanowa and I'm spelling it okinawa.

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 5:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone heard the story of the Okinawan taxi driver who got his hands on a load hand written certificates from a deceased Karate master an made a fortune selling them to American servicemen?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast