Style
    Wrestling, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Striking question?

Hi all. New to the forum.
    I've been wrestling for about a year and a half now and boxing on and off (mostly off) for three years. I'd like to improve my stand up and am wondering if it be wise to get back into boxing and specialize with my fists (something I have experience in and pick up fairly quickly when I'm into it)or instead jump into something more rounded (Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Karate.) where I have little experience but would ultimately learn more tools...
    So I guess what I'm asking is whether I should go the familiar route (boxing) and get better faster and achieve a soldid "hands only" base for my striking before moving onto to the unfamilair route (Kickboxing, Muay Thau, Karate) or if I should just forget about boxing completly and take on the more rounded martial art right away?

Style
    Mixed combative art
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you will want to kickbox later, go right to it now. The stance may be different from what you would develop in straight boxing and habits formed over a long time are hard to change. If your goal is self defense ability, boxing and wrestling are a good combo.

Style
    Wrestling, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    If you will want to kickbox later, go right to it now. The stance may be different from what you would develop in straight boxing and habits formed over a long time are hard to change. If your goal is self defense ability, boxing and wrestling are a good combo.
    I was thinking more for a solid mma base. I know I'd have to change my stance a whole lot if I continued to box, though...

Style
    MMA, Yoga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take up whatever you'll be able to consistently keep doing; in other words do what you enjoy.

It doesn't matter if boxing makes a slightly better base than muay thai for mma if you get so bored with it you only train 3 months a year. It's much like a diet program, consistency is everything.

In the U.S. I'd go for boxing over muay thai. The most useful parts of mt when coming to mma are technical leg kicks and advanced clinch work, and quite frankly western mt places fucking suck at teaching these two areas. I learnt more about the clinch from Machida's karate dvd than i did from my first few coaches.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Style
    Kickboxing (student)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, fear not the search function up top. It is all of our friend. With it, you can look up discussions on this very thing...and other wonders.

If you're aiming for balance, and versatility...you want to consider Sambo, or SanDa (Kickboxing w/ throws). They both feature punches/kicks/clinches/takedowns/throws. The downside being, there aren't that many schools around, in the US, compared to other styles.

Kickboxing, or muay thai would get you strike/clinch ready. Boxing will teach you good punching, but there are certain assumptions about rules, that influence the stance.
    If you're wrestling, then you'll likely be able to integrate it more easily than otherwise, into an arsenal/skillset.

If you plan to ever compete, you'll need to know shin checks, and kicking. I'd recommend something that involves that. (Muay Thai, SanDa/SanShou, Sambo, or an actual mma gym)

If this is only for self defense, wrestling and boxing will possibly serve you just as well.

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All good advice above.
    I'd furthermore add that extensive experience in western boxing made the transition to Muay Thai VERY difficult for one of my brothers.

Style
    Wrestling, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the input guys.
    I'm probably going to end up doing muay thai. I like the idea of being able to properly throw knees from the clinch and building up a solid defense against kicks. Heard good and bad things about the thai gym near my house though...Hope it doesn't end up being a joke.
    On a side note- just wondered if anyone could elaborate a bit more on Sanda/Sanshou? Is the training style more live like kickboxing, muay thai and boxing or is it bullshit?