Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 4:19pm

Style: GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When caught in a triangle, you can try and stack him up and apply a clock choke by grabbing deep in one collar (thumb out) and shallow on the other which gives you something to pull on and smash him down more while tightening the choke ( I think it's also important to keep your head and arm tucked away to prevent an armbar, and if he goes for the armbar then he just gave up the triangle to do it). Another way is to step over his belly and drop your weight, wrap your legs around his body and use your back and leg muscles to pry yourself out of his legs.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 4:45pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a great trade.

I would rather go to sleep for a little bit than nurse a broken arm or elbow for 2 months. Because jumping out of the pot and into the fire is never a good idea.

BTW, one of the overall best triangle defenses once caught is to sit down with your knee in their ass, frame up with your arms, and try to pull your way out. If there is any hope for escape at all, this one is going to leave you the least vulnerable in your attempt.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 7:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's not really a clock choke and is just a variation on squeezing the loaf.
    The trade isn't worth it unless you're in one of those mythical real fights.
    Posture, work a good stack and get an arm in.

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 12:00am

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    I think you'd be better off learning an escape where it isn't a race to who goes out first.
    You are in a submission.Why is it bad being put it another one to escape? You can't get subbed twice.I often bait the arlmock to get free of the triangle.While grabbing the neck and keeping my knee outside of his hip, if he doesn't first get himself some hip mobility then he's a fool to try the armbar.If he gets his hip free and snags my arm and I tap....well I can console myself by telling myselg I was gonna lose anyways.They call it bad jiu-jitsu to bait and armlock or rer naked choke to escape the mount.But everyone does it here and there.I have seen a ton of guys even in the UFC escape mount by rolling to their stomachs and getting their ass high up fast causing the top guy to slip off and usually try a desperate armbar.Not something I advocate teaching noobs, but like this triangle escape it has value.

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 12:05am

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also I should add I was apparently tired when I wrote my description.I say he switches to try a triangle, I meant armbar.
    Yes,as some of you say it is best used on weaker guys.There are guys I roll with who are strong enough to triangle me but not strong enough to armbar.I find making the armbar seem irresistable generally gets me out.But the value of the palm on the throat is that now he has your weight on his neck and he will slowly weaken, forcing him to do something.You will know he is going for the armbar.You can have your escape planned.

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 12:14am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To counter it though, all I need to do is lift my hips and turn your hand out for the armbar. I don't need to throw my leg over your head so I don't understand why this would be considered a decent escape. There are plenty of other escapes for triangle that don't put someone in danger so why practice one that does?

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 1:15am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mayhem,
    Check out the escapes here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27624

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 9:55am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll throw in one of my 'use when fucked' triangle escapes.

The 'Crazy Ivan' or 'BANZAIII!!!' suicide triangle escape

Situation: you're just about caught in a triangle. Legs are secured, but not quite there yet by a matter of centimeters.

1: Hide the inside arm around your opponents leg
    2: Spin and give your opponent your back (No, I'm not kidding)
    3: Start working on the hooking leg with the outside arm. Keep the inside arm hidden. You still can be triangled or armlocked from here
    4: Detach the hooking leg, keep hold of the leg you've caught with the formerly inside arm. Try to recover and pass guard.

Worst comes to worst, if you successfully execute this, you'll end up on the wrong end of back mount. On the bright side, at least you haven't been triangled.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 10:11am

Style: GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another version of grasping the throat is using the lapel for a loop choke across the neck, either way, your other hand should be available, incase they try for an armbar, you have a chance of catching their thigh before it comes over your face.
    Last edited by C 'Quence; 2/28/2006 10:29am at .

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 4:22pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    Mayhem,
    Check out the escapes here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27624
    Those pictures and explanations are really good. If you have the time, you should consider doing more of them.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast