software engineer

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 2:10am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    if he's primarily a Systema instructor that teaches wrestling tactics?
    I'll let others address whether what he teaches works, but he is not primarily a wrestling teacher. He is a complete Systema guy, which covers striking, wrestling, and 'other' stuff.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 2:49am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 2:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    , I'm questioning why he has videos of himself teaching no touch knockouts and chi forcefields if he's primarily a Systema instructor that teaches wrestling tactics?
    He doesn't. Ref all the previous threads on this subject.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 2:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobG
    There is an open door policy for such things - anyone is free to try to roll with a certified guide - even the big names. VV and MR have such a policy.
    Yep, and it was mentioned here in the very last Systema thread too, along with the fact VV and MR were both in London recently. There were quite a few "new" people there but no Bullshido-ers AFAIK.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 2:55am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??

yep that about sums it up

Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    OMG what a fucking load of bullshit......
    I'm amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 5:16am

Style: casual

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK - last post of the night - well, at 3am.

Again.....did anyone actually - reeaalll time try it out with a qualified instructor?

No..dont remember anyone but perhaps a m.a. newbie stating anything other than vid clips as 'experience' of Systema...hells bells, I have maybe not as big a post 'score' as many here - but have read for years and posted when I had something I felt I wanted to state. In a 'all posts by RobG search - I have stated whatever I have experienced and learned from (now - still counting) 42 years of study in the arts.

The vast majority of the members here are quite young, relatively. No prob. I have ALOT of great teachers in their respective methods..and they were often more old than I....yeah, some would say "This old fucka is 51 years old! WTF could he know about the r3al d3al?" Thats ok, I might have been so proud as a younger man, raised in the present culture. No prob with this 'Rob(G)'.

BUT - AGAIN - let me tell ya young guns. When I got into all of this - in the USA - you could pretty much find a few forms of Karate (Shotokan and Koyokushnikai and Goju - primarily..the Korean invasion had not yet happened (There were the kwans then - NOT the TKD). There were a few forms of Kempo - mosty by Parker on the left coast...and also good Kodokan Judo...and very little else for the average person to find in the yellow book. Martial Arts, back then meant ORIENTAL - period! There were a few WW2 comabative teachers...few knew of em though.

KF showed up in the mid to later 60's - and JKD as it was exposed and shared by B. Lee? Threatned the whole game of established teachers. Yeah, I know - many of the youngers cant understand how 'revolutionary' his **** was - no more than they can understand how Gene Kruppa took the snare drum - or Jimmy Hendricks took a bass guitar - and made those tools move out of the background...and thereby changed how music culd be written and played. Only the experience of the time can teach you that, in many ways. B. Lee open the font to WTF else is out there to learn? FMA came along and was the hot **** next....then in time passing - nin jitsu/nin-po.... BJJ came along in contest televised..and MMA was born.

Hey, I can remember when THai Boxing was band new to the western world - and looked down upon as 'unworkable', no heart nor soul of m.arts. LO-frickin-L! My teachers in Thai where McAulife and Arjan Chai Surisite.....the later is still very well respected (I believe) amongst those who know the old guys in Thai.

Lotsa work in many arts under this rickety bridge. Lotsa time 'on the job'...as the veterans on my job say.

The many 'expressions' of fighting have (luckily - moreso because I was lucky to have good teachers and achieved at least a decent level of skill in whatever I worked my ass off in) seen use far to often. I am not proud of this...it is simply what happened to me in my life...from being a Brooklyn street kid back in the 60's and early 70's...the whole deal of gangs...and muggers and innner city violence...then later, my 'profession' as a NYC Corrections Officer....now half way through my 20th year 'on the job'.
    Maybe the last year..for I have earned my pension.
    And I am frankly tired of the bullshit.

The late 80's and early 90's are reffered to as 'The Crack War' years, by the older officers. It was an EXTREMELY violent time, in NYC. Particularly when the cops caught such drug crazed nutz and the jails concentrated them in an environment where the jails were bursting at its very seams. FEW wanted the job back then -- for that reason alone and add on 'forced overtime'? I did over 950 hours of overtime every year in the late 80's. Crak addicted men are a strange breed...probably due to the chemical alteration of the brain from their chosen addiction. Heroin addicts are sometimes violent in the early stages of withdrawal...but crack-ers are very nutz for a very long time.

I work a 6 day week - 4 days 'on' and 2 days 'off'...enforced (supposedly) because the overall stress of this emply is abit more challenging than working at a MickyD's or a shoe store. BUT - It paid me well.

In ANY of my days, I KNEW that there would be NO way I would NOT wind up writting a U.O.F. report (oh, I meant a a Use Of Force report) at least once but most probably up to twice or more in a given tour....for because I was known as a karate guy (although I had progressed beyond my investigation of classical karate a decade or meore before) - I was assigend to the more violent area of any NYC jail - the 'intake area' - where the cops drop off their arrested and Corrections have to deal with the drug withdrawing messed up detainees.

(IF youve read this far - I am both amased and regard your tenacity as a virtue..truly you will find your 'way' in life..lol)

Systema showed up in my life after the crack war years - but I wish it had been in my life when I started my studies. Thats the gift of hindsight, I know. IF I had not been through the martial mix-master for many ways to just get my ass home safely under the many situations I saw in life....perhaps I too would view the be-damned clips taken out of the context of wtf they are meant to demo as Bullshido also.

I faced alot of physical interpersonal combat 'on the job'...and am considered a 'old school jail guard' - the average officer might write maybe 10 to 20 UOF reports in thier career...but I have written more than close to 100. Its something that happened because the supervisors 'knew' I could deal with violence cleanly...lol (and regretably) because I was that 'kahrawteh guy'. Looking back on it all...yeah, I did ok....I have no regrets (and was frickn too lucky)....I got atacked alot on the job...and in the 'scht33tz'? Well, without psoting details already written into the cyber...I did get attacked by deadly force by a 2 man team (1 with a k-bar) and did in self defence, take a life. I am not proud of this...even though it turned out that the dead man was a violent recidivist --- and I am NOT gonna go into deatils unless Sam Browning decides he can find out the facts to 'blow me up' publicly on this site. Basically, I got mugged at a low point in my life, when **** was outta control....and 2 guys tried to take not only my money and all I had left to my name - but my life as well...and, (At this point I was doing Systema for a few yeras) - I was fortunate enough to reverse a stab to my gut and the knifer got back what he offered to do to me. (Sam, if ya wanna discuss this - PM me. We will talk...I have no fear of any investigation by someone who does such good work. In fact - I would like to have you look into it..but I dont know what you can document....its a weird thing...but PM me and we can set up a time to talk).

Holy ****! This post has taken a chunka time to write....and I dont know if it was worth the effort.

I met 'this guy' mentioned in the original post about 5 years ago. And had decades of real time fighting inder my belt at that time...I held a metal blade in my hand...not as sharp as the lil personal protection blade I often choose to sometimes carry over my excellent 5 shot S&W Centurion....but it had a good point. And Mr. Ryabco? He gave me thaqt balde and let me choose what I would send his way...no restrictions. I chose not to go FMA...I chose a very direct Rikers Island pragmatic and basic move.....A basic stab to the face that 'shoulda' kept him from defending effectively with a covering secondary movement of the other arm. One attack - that I learned from real world predators....professional socio-paths. Misha shut me down...fractured my face..and dumped me to the ground....with (lol) love.

I was numb for the rest of the day.

As one who has studied alot of the arts I thought could get me through whatever I would encounter in my life.....I have NO regrets for having done what I did, when I did, whatever I studied.

BUT - as someone that has real time experience under some pretty trying parameters in life....

I will (finally) close this post with a staement I would bet my last penny on.

Pick any art and the iconic teacher of said art.

AND then (IF) we had an exact set of cloned twins - totally equal in life knowledge and experience...bite of food...stressors in life....everything from the t-shirts they wore on any given day...or the challenges, education...every wordy written and read - every kiss or sunrise...EVERY fricken 'thing'.

AND then let Ryabco or Vasilieve have 6 months for 3 hours - 2 or 3 days a week - every week - for one year.

And take that clone/twin and let ANY martial guide icon have the same opportunity to train one so dedicated, for the same period.

AND then put them both in the (ridiculous but 'scientifice method') challenge of 'two walk in - one walks out' paradigm....I would bet my very eyes that the Systema trained clone has the best chance.....knowing full well that '**** happens' in any situation. Murphys law is a law to be considered. My eyes vs. the yes of the 'any other art' clones/sponsers eyes. And I will 'see ya later'....and see the next day.

Based on my personal experience.....mine and mine alone....'that guy' - that 'fat russian bastard' - Ryabco - is far beyond wtf a person of his age and physical (beyond the physical - really should be able to express. My fractured face taught me so, in 2001)

Individual results might vary....some folks choose what they choose for their own multi layered reasons..as did I.
    _____

Bottom line - the god damned door is open of anyone to come and rock and roll with ANY Systema teacher that has a door to open. There are a helluva lotta more such open doors then when I had to seek out Vlad a good number of years ago.

Vid clipz aint nothin...and DVD's cant replace free form movement in 'real world testing'.

USE pragmatic personal experimentation...not reports, not test values from anyone - including this writer - and be an adhearent to 'science'. RATIONAL THOUGHT + PERSONAL EXPERIENCE = (personal) VERACITY!

Everything else, in this medium of the cyber = is just 01010101010101010101 binary bullshido.

Again, I commend alyone that took the time to read this too long post......I might not have, in your position.

AND- I will let the nit-pickers pick their nits...and use their wits, to do so.

BUT - as an older exponent of m.a.'s - bet your ass....I am not gonna net a nit-wit that has studied the arts for a coupla years and never faced a crazed attacker without serious intent (ya know what I mean - like a white belt in a no contact tourney) - never let a 15 year old TRY to tell me that he 'knows the real deal of combatives" -- hey kid, ya cant be it unless ya deal it...and St33t Fighter 2 vid game is hardly anything for this fuckin forum.

OK - about 2 hours trying out how to put it out there.

I toss it to the coyote pups...but I really do so, beacuse the real deal, olng in the tooth wolves here - will most probably howl at the fuckin moon. Those real dealers - they know they can have their style..what they found that works for them...I compliment that ****..aint easy to ever find in life - if ya ever do so - yer lucky.

I found mine though...and took a whole lotta trying...just to get up that hill.

AND I am finally outta here.....

Good morning/night!

software engineer

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 5:42am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RobG, thanks for putting time in the post.
    Can you clarify what you did to Mikhail? Did he mean that you could cut him if you managed it?
    What else did he demonstrate as far as skill goes?

Thanks a lot for sharing your views and experience. It's some pretty rarified stuff.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 5:42am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I shared a gym with Systema guys, so sorry, but I'm not reading most of the crap on this thread.

That guy..is Michail Ryabco of Russia....and would really enjoy watching anyone really attempt to fight him....I could use a laugh or two at the attackers expense.
    100% agreed. I wouldn't fight that guy. He may be fat, and he may even be delusional, but being fat and crazy doesn't preclude being able to kick ass.

Now, Systema DOES make silly claims and have a somewhat goofy outlook, and they do some truly bizarre drills, but those guys also know how to grapple.

Isolated and Confused

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 5:47am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    I shared a gym with Systema guys, so sorry, but I'm not reading most of the crap on this thread.

100% agreed. I wouldn't fight that guy. He may be fat, and he may even be delusional, but being fat and crazy doesn't preclude being able to kick ass.

Now, Systema DOES make silly claims and have a somewhat goofy outlook, and they do some truly bizarre drills, but those guys also know how to grapple.
    So you approve of the take down defences being demonstrated?
    Failing to become awesome since 1976

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 5:54am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I don't approve of anything Systema guys do besides knowing how to grapple. I think the way they go about learning it is ludicrous, but still, I have seen them spar, and they don't just suck, from what I've seen.
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast