232668 Bullies, 3949 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 201 to 210 of 213
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111718192021 22 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Goju - Joe is offline
    Goju - Joe's Avatar

    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,857

    Posted On:
    3/02/2006 11:58pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydermv
    This whole train of thought is redtarded. Just becasue a Muay Thai fighter doesn't train to do a round house to a knee, does not mean he can't aim a little lower and hit that spot... plus he has the advantage that he knows distancing and has timing cause he's actully hit people before who don't want to get hit.
    Are you saying my train of thought is retarded, or the previous posts about hiting to the knee is retarded and quoting me to support that?
  2. Darren San is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clinton, TN
    Posts
    133

    Posted On:
    3/03/2006 9:27am


     Style: Isshin-ryu Karate-do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol
    you'd be still not training what you say you would be able to do afterwards, that is gouging-eyes here
    So, you are saying that I have to actually poke people's eyes out to train in the skills necessary to poke someone in the eye?

    Sorry, but that is absolutely ridiculeous! That is one of the lamest things I have ever read on here yet.

    So, by your logic, heavy bag work is useless to the boxer ... he must use a human being to develop power in his punches.

    The US Army infantry must then use real people on their rifle ranges ... metal targets are not "real" enough. I know, they could use convicted felons and decrease the problem of overcrowding in our prison systems.

    Come on Dude! Be real ... I don't have to smash my thumb with a four pound hammer to know that it would hurt!!!!
  3. Smeagol is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    711

    Posted On:
    3/03/2006 10:11am


     Style: kickboxing, judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren San
    So, you are saying that I have to actually poke people's eyes out to train in the skills necessary to poke someone in the eye?

    Sorry, but that is absolutely ridiculeous! That is one of the lamest things I have ever read on here yet.

    So, by your logic, heavy bag work is useless to the boxer ... he must use a human being to develop power in his punches.

    The US Army infantry must then use real people on their rifle ranges ... metal targets are not "real" enough. I know, they could use convicted felons and decrease the problem of overcrowding in our prison systems.

    Come on Dude! Be real ... I don't have to smash my thumb with a four pound hammer to know that it would hurt!!!!
    you are "training" to poke out eyes by pushing the ground, which is VERY stationary and far from being small, while the eye is small and moves.

    boxers not only use the heavy bag ... because they know: SPARRING IS NECESSARY

    so we're back on topic.
  4. Rhamma is offline

    Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,417

    Posted On:
    3/03/2006 10:23am


     Style: Okinawan Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol
    you'd be still not training what you say you would be able to do afterwards, that is gouging-eyes here
    For that I pick olives out of a jar and eat them!!!
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

    Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!
  5. Slydermv is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    912

    Posted On:
    3/03/2006 11:04am


     Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    Are you saying my train of thought is retarded, or the previous posts about hiting to the knee is retarded and quoting me to support that?
    No.. not saying you are retarded, just the train of thought some people in self defence have. Last night in class, my instructor was mentioning a few things. Along with MMA and BJJ, he also runs a combat hapkido class with small joint manipulations, throat strikes, knee kicks etc.

    The thing he mentioned was you have to be confident in your abilities in order to make them work in real situation. You have to go and bang under a rule set, take shots and give them if you want to make the rest of your self defence work. You can't fool yourself.

    The small joint manipulation, groin kicks, knee kicks and the rest work... but to make use of them you have to know timing, distancing and you have to be albe to take a shot cause some guy isn't gonna let you grab his hand and bend his fingers back. You're gonna crumble, regardless of how many years you've spent hitting pads and practicing your joint locks or your groin kicks.

    Rules in MMA are there for a reason. You can't kick a knee cause you can end someones career doing it. But if you can't take a shot and have never banged, you're gonna get pummled before any of this can happen.

    Some big dude comes at you, your not gnna be able to fool yourself, so why do it in class. Hit, get hit, learn to bang, then maybe you can get control of your opponent and do all that **** the rules don't allow. It was the most sence I've ever heard someone speak.

    So **** the nut riders on either side.:karated: heheheh
  6. PointyShinyBurn is offline
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar

    Gnarly King of Half-Guard

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,221

    Posted On:
    3/03/2006 11:25am

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydermv
    Rules in MMA are there for a reason. You can't kick a knee cause you can end someones career doing it. But if you can't take a shot and have never banged, you're gonna get pummled before any of this can happen.
    Kicks to the knee are legal in both Pride and the UFC.
  7. Darren San is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clinton, TN
    Posts
    133

    Posted On:
    3/03/2006 12:29pm


     Style: Isshin-ryu Karate-do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol
    you are "training" to poke out eyes by pushing the ground, which is VERY stationary and far from being small, while the eye is small and moves.

    boxers not only use the heavy bag ... because they know: SPARRING IS NECESSARY

    so we're back on topic.
    Certainly....sparring (randori, etc) is necessary. I have never said it wasn't ..once we settled on a good definition of sparring (i.e. not tip/tap point karate) in this forum. However, so are strengthening and conditioning drills (i.e. fingertip push-ups), flexibility exercises, and reaction / accuracy / focus drills. To argue that working in these areas of training is somehow a waste of time because at that precise moment you are not "sparring" is ludicris.
  8. Goju - Joe is offline
    Goju - Joe's Avatar

    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,857

    Posted On:
    3/03/2006 12:32pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydermv
    No.. not saying you are retarded, just the train of thought some people in self defence have. Last night in class, my instructor was mentioning a few things. Along with MMA and BJJ, he also runs a combat hapkido class with small joint manipulations, throat strikes, knee kicks etc.

    The thing he mentioned was you have to be confident in your abilities in order to make them work in real situation. You have to go and bang under a rule set, take shots and give them if you want to make the rest of your self defence work. You can't fool yourself.

    The small joint manipulation, groin kicks, knee kicks and the rest work... but to make use of them you have to know timing, distancing and you have to be albe to take a shot cause some guy isn't gonna let you grab his hand and bend his fingers back. You're gonna crumble, regardless of how many years you've spent hitting pads and practicing your joint locks or your groin kicks.

    Rules in MMA are there for a reason. You can't kick a knee cause you can end someones career doing it. But if you can't take a shot and have never banged, you're gonna get pummled before any of this can happen.

    Some big dude comes at you, your not gnna be able to fool yourself, so why do it in class. Hit, get hit, learn to bang, then maybe you can get control of your opponent and do all that **** the rules don't allow. It was the most sence I've ever heard someone speak.

    So **** the nut riders on either side.:karated: heheheh
    I am at a loss at how you could have completely misunderstood what I was saying.

    I was speaking in FAVOR of hard contact sparring and am basically in agreement with you. My point was that people who can do good controled sparring with rules, thus take and deliver shots, and beat someone under those rules is more likely to win a street fight without rules than someone who never tries out any of their technique in such a manner

    I said:

    "Good sparring is a system with rules that allows you to try out techniques that would put you in a position to finish off an attacker in a real situation.

    For example Kyokushin guys may not do deadly knee breaks or throat strikes in sparring but the know 'emipriacly' through experience, that they have the ability to punch or kick someone who is resisteng to the best of their ability in a preassure situation hard enough to send that person to the ground where they can follow up with whatever finishing technique they want.

    Same with boxing and Muay Thai and Grappling. They know through sparring and competiton they can finsih someone off. People who don't spar in this way, tip tap points or no take downs and submission are only guessing and assuming."
  9. meng_mao is offline
    meng_mao's Avatar

    software engineer

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Westford, MA
    Posts
    2,007

    Posted On:
    3/03/2006 2:01pm

    supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydermv
    Rules in MMA are there for a reason. You can't kick a knee cause you can end someones career doing it.
    I agree with that the spirit of MMA rules is to prevent dangerous injuries, but I'm not aware that the second sentence is a rule in any MMA rules I know.
  10. Darren San is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clinton, TN
    Posts
    133

    Posted On:
    3/03/2006 2:05pm


     Style: Isshin-ryu Karate-do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    I am at a loss at how you could have completely misunderstood what I was saying.

    I was speaking in FAVOR of hard contact sparring and am basically in agreement with you. My point was that people who can do good controled sparring with rules, thus take and deliver shots, and beat someone under those rules is more likely to win a street fight without rules than someone who never tries out any of their technique in such a manner

    I said:

    "Good sparring is a system with rules that allows you to try out techniques that would put you in a position to finish off an attacker in a real situation.

    For example Kyokushin guys may not do deadly knee breaks or throat strikes in sparring but the know 'emipriacly' through experience, that they have the ability to punch or kick someone who is resisteng to the best of their ability in a preassure situation hard enough to send that person to the ground where they can follow up with whatever finishing technique they want.

    Same with boxing and Muay Thai and Grappling. They know through sparring and competiton they can finsih someone off. People who don't spar in this way, tip tap points or no take downs and submission are only guessing and assuming."
    Couldn't agree more. My point of contention has always been this prevalent assumption that "all karate schools are the same" and "no karate people train that way" and "the only thing you need is sparring ...all else is a waste of time" and "all Isshin-ryu sucks."

    First, there are no bad styles ... only bad instructors.

    I have seen bad instructors in several styles including, much to my chagrin, many in my own style.
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111718192021 22 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.