Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    3/02/2006 9:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol
    didn't "some" guy in the early UFCs like ... break peoples arms even if they had already tapped?

blah
    His name was Royce Gracie if I recall properly. Someone decided to use some street tactics and bite him. After that, Royce ignored a tap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2006 9:28am

Style: kickboxing, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren San
    Hey Smeagol

I wonder how much **** I would stir up if I claimed that: after decades of performing fingertip push-ups in hot coals with a ugly BJJ competitor sitting cross-legged on one's back, one could actually generate enough force to poke someone's eye out with two fingers.

Ohhh yeah...I know. First, it is physically impossible to generate enough force to poke out the human eye. Plus, it is after all a moving target...you would actually have to have some skill. And, of course, it is low percentage!! Blah!!
    That's like saying that if I walk(! not jogging) around for many hours every day I could win the marathon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2006 12:04pm

Style: Isshin-ryu Karate-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say that the biter deserved exactly what he got!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2006 1:56pm

Style: Isshin-ryu Karate-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol
    That's like saying that if I walk(! not jogging) around for many hours every day I could win the marathon.
    What if one did very fast push ups?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2006 2:17pm

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen San Shou guys sidekick each other in the knee. I didn't see anyone's knee explode.

Edit: Not saying it's impossible, but I don't think it's nearly as effective as certain people think.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2006 3:06pm

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    There is a need to define good sparring and I think I have got it.

Good sparring is a system with rules that allows you to try out techniques that would put you in a position to finish off an attacker in a real situation.

For example Kyokushin guys may not do deadly knee breaks or throat strikes in sparring but the know 'emipriacly' through experience, that they have the ability to punch or kick someone who is resisteng to the best of their ability in a preassure situation hard enough to send that person to the ground where they can follow up with whatever finishing technique they want.

Same with boxing and Muay Thai and Grappling. They know through sparring and competiton they can finsih someone off. People who don't spar in this way, tip tap points or no take downs and submission are only guessing and assuming.
    This whole train of thought is redtarded. Just becasue a Muay Thai fighter doesn't train to do a round house to a knee, does not mean he can't aim a little lower and hit that spot... plus he has the advantage that he knows distancing and has timing cause he's actully hit people before who don't want to get hit.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/02/2006 4:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I aint punchy!?
    The question should'nt be "Is sparring necessary?" but rather "Is everything else BUT sparring necessary?"
    ya know, I've come to a point in my training where I ask myself this very question. I feel that I get so much more out of sparring than I do out of drilling that I've mostly just dropped everything but sparring.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    3/02/2006 5:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree with that; my coaches are striking geniuses and every drill we do improves my game somehow. They might just be exceptionally creative. However, my kickboxing training has lapsed to the point where I'm wondering if the Friday all-sparring class is of any use to me when my performance in basic drills is suffering so much.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/02/2006 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for me, it may just be the teachers and the class setting. Of course, anyone can use improvement in their technique and even the best strikers can use constructive criticism, but now with the absense of any boxing coaches, the instructors don't really deal much with fine tuning our technique. One of the reasons I liked working with the boxing coaches was there was always always always some little nuance of the technique I didn't have quite right and they would correct me on. Maybe when I eventually move on to a more seasoned coach I'll get more of that in my thai boxing, but right now, just practicing jab/cross/hook/right low kick isn't helping me as much as getting in the ring.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2006 6:08pm

Style: kickboxing, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren San
    What if one did very fast push ups?
    you'd be still not training what you say you would be able to do afterwards, that is gouging-eyes here