He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 11:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    At the dojo I was talking to one of our black belts about that "swimmer" metaphor. We fleshed it out a bit

So with swimming there are 3 levels (I am taking this out the of the lifeguard certs). Pool, Lake, and Ocean.

A Martial Artist that doesn't spar because it not real (rules and all) is like a swimmer that won't swim in a pool because its not the ocean. However, if thrown into the ocean (aka real fight) they think they will do the same arm strokes on land (kata) and everything will be fine.

However, how does one learn to swim (fight). Throw them in the shallow end of the pool and show them how to do a few basic strokes (light randori, point sparring). Eventually they would get more strokes (techniques) and become stronger at it. Eventually they will reach the deep end and swim nicely (full contact kickboxing or Judo/Jujutsu Randori).

The next step up would be added unknowns of the lake, like wildlife, plant life, etc. This would be an MMA/NHB/Vale Tudo Tourament. Not everyone will get here, or need to get here. However, it the best practice, short getting thrown in the Ocean (street fight).

So if one thinks that paddling on land(no sparring/kata) will get them ready for the ocean(street fight) . They will drown.
    You forgot piranha infested streams.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 11:34pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    You forgot piranha infested streams.
    Is that like street lava? No one can swim becuase they just get eaten by prianhas?

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 11:34pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes...

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 11:35pm

Style: mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i read in a book that the dude who invented shotokan karate never sparred and only did forms and stuff and went on to kick everyone's ass in the karate tournament.

sound like bullshit to me. as far as the whole not being able to learn how to swim.
    the fight is like swimming, just a swim race.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 11:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When a new student comes into a dojo/dojang/kwan/gym or whatever.They have to leave at the end of their first experience with at least a scratch or bruise.I'm not talking about broken shins or busted rib.But they must be made to be aware of what martial arts are about.

My first class my Sensei made us do conditionin our knuckles on books.Since I had never done this sort of crazy ass **** before.All of my right knuckles were cut open and a little blood was dripping out.My sensei just tapped it up.

My first sparring was a week later.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 11:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i want to make love to your manly body canuck

seriously though, to the original poster- what gym is this? by "as good as any other in the country" what do you actually mean? there are a few aspects of muay thai that you simply cannot learn without sparring. i can show someone what they should be doing in a clinch but they arent going to get good at it without DOING it. this guy you are talking about might have been super talented (I heard the same thing regarding cro cop before he went into the k-1)

but either way it sounds like a one off and quite frankly if i was going to take examples of how to train it would be from camps like Kaewsamrit, Puramuk, and Fairtex. these areexamples of the guys who are the best of the best and they all spar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 12:01am

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok given that there are a few individuals that have exceptional skills. These are the types of people who never study but always get "A" grades. Never Sparred but kick ass in the ring.
    These are Exceptions to the general rule. For the majority of us, we do need to study we do need sparring to improve our fighting. In any case i'd rather be safe and practise than try my luck hoping i'm that 1% that has great skill.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 1:14am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    At the dojo I was talking to one of our black belts about that "swimmer" metaphor. We fleshed it out a bit

So with swimming there are 3 levels (I am taking this out the of the lifeguard certs). Pool, Lake, and Ocean.

A Martial Artist that doesn't spar because it not real (rules and all) is like a swimmer that won't swim in a pool because its not the ocean. However, if thrown into the ocean (aka real fight) they think they will do the same arm strokes on land (kata) and everything will be fine.

However, how does one learn to swim (fight). Throw them in the shallow end of the pool and show them how to do a few basic strokes (light randori, point sparring). Eventually they would get more strokes (techniques) and become stronger at it. Eventually they will reach the deep end and swim nicely (full contact kickboxing or Judo/Jujutsu Randori).

The next step up would be added unknowns of the lake, like wildlife, plant life, etc. This would be an MMA/NHB/Vale Tudo Tourament. Not everyone will get here, or need to get here. However, it the best practice, short getting thrown in the Ocean (street fight).

So if one thinks that paddling on land(no sparring/kata) will get them ready for the ocean(street fight) . They will drown.
    That was beautiful.....but you forgot about all the broken glass in teh deadly Oceans.

software engineer

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 2:19am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Questions for Ronin.74:
    how intense / tricky was the pad work?
    If the feeder put some amazing pressure,
    on the striker, I imagine that's better than some gyms' sparring.

Also, maybe his opponents all blew.
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast