Page 19 of 22 First ... 91516171819202122 Last
  1. #181
    Teh El Macho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Posts
    11,743
    Style
    creonte on hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hl1978
    if you want an example of someone doing to themselves there is Sharmba Mitchell back in 2001 in a boxing match, while he did have a prexisting injury from years prior, apparently it got reagravated while beeing clinched. Justin Eilers is another case i believe in UFC 53? but im not sure if it was a strike to the knee or not.

    you can find a number of situations like this, but im not sure if some of them are strikes to the knees or not. suffices to say, i would imagine most injuries are due to chance rather than dilibratly attacking an opponents knee while in the ring.
    Justin Eiler had a busted ACL after Brandon Vera repeatedly kicked him. His knee was not broken, but his knee got busted. Human skeleton is made up to substain a lot of punishment, and bone-breaking is not as simple as some people may want to think.

    Going back to Eiler's fucked up knee, that's in addition to two broken hands, a broken nose, and a badly sprained ankle. Though no one in his right mind would want to screw up another human being in an act of rage, this is a contact sports, a combat sports. Eiler knew pretty well what he was getting into. It is a risk that MMA fighers not only accept, but embrace. Same thing with (kick)boxers, Judoka, BJJers, wrestlers and football players. :israel7va

    Fighers don't go there with the intention to **** people up. They go there to win. And screwing people up just happen to be a by-product. If someone has a problem inflicing injury onto someone else in the context of a contact sports, he/she should forget about MA as well as football, rugby, soccer... crap even basketball and get into origami, join the hare krishna or something...

    ... seriously... :bssign:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

    My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

    New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

    t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

    The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

  2. #182
    OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville supporting member
    Boyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Cwcville
    Posts
    5,388
    Style
    Electricity, Speed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no problem believing a strong kick straight to the knee could potentially damage it. I also believe that a punch to the head could knock someone out. The problem is that with both techniques you're looking at an infinite number of variables, and we've got people saying "All I have to do is kick a guy in the knee and the fight's over" and we've got people saying "You'll never break the knee by kicking it". Whether or not it's physically possible to break the knee is a moot point. More relevant is if the technique itself is of any value.

    The knee's a tiny, mobile target and really, you could probably just check it similar to a round kick with a good degree of success. I'm sure you could **** someone's knee up with it, but I'd wager it'd be more of a "chronic discomfort over the next few weeks"-type pain over a "hey my kneecap just went flying out the back of my leg"-type pain. While it's a low-risk technique, the fact that you can't spar with it makes me just want to push it to the back of my training and focus more on my fundamentals. You can knock a guy out with your fists, too. That's always an option.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

    1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

    2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

    3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

    REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

  3. #183

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    686
    Style
    Arnis, WC, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The question should'nt be "Is sparring necessary?" but rather "Is everything else BUT sparring necessary?"

  4. #184

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clinton, TN
    Posts
    133
    Style
    Isshin-ryu Karate-do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    I have no problem believing a strong kick straight to the knee could potentially damage it. I also believe that a punch to the head could knock someone out. The problem is that with both techniques you're looking at an infinite number of variables, and we've got people saying "" and we've got people saying "You'll never break the knee by kicking it". Whether or not it's physically possible to break the knee is a moot point. More relevant is if the technique itself is of any value.

    The knee's a tiny, mobile target and really, you could probably just check it similar to a round kick with a good degree of success. I'm sure you could **** someone's knee up with it, but I'd wager it'd be more of a "chronic discomfort over the next few weeks"-type pain over a "hey my kneecap just went flying out the back of my leg"-type pain. While it's a low-risk technique, the fact that you can't spar with it makes me just want to push it to the back of my training and focus more on my fundamentals. You can knock a guy out with your fists, too. That's always an option.
    Whether or not the kick, or punch, or takedown is of value is more defined by whether or not it is the right technique to use at that moment of time.

    Nobody here, including me, said that "All I have to do is kick a guy in the knee and the fight's over." I merely pointed out the fact that that if the opportunity presented itself, it is a great self-defense technique and that the human body can easily generate the force required to do it if the knee is in a vulnerable position.

    If some want to argue that it is impossible...oh well!
    Last edited by Darren San; 3/01/2006 9:24pm at . Reason: Grammer ... Oh well

  5. #185

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clinton, TN
    Posts
    133
    Style
    Isshin-ryu Karate-do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I would rather use my fists or elbows I have much better control over them. But hey, if it is a serious situation and the guy screws up and gives me his knee...

  6. #186

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clinton, TN
    Posts
    133
    Style
    Isshin-ryu Karate-do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and by the way... the pics are really cute Poop Loops, but amount to little more than childish name calling.

  7. #187
    Poop Loops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Americastan
    Posts
    10,025
    Style
    In Transition
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren San
    Oh and by the way... the pics are really cute Poop Loops, but amount to little more than childish name calling.
    The fact that you only adressed the picture and not my post pretty much proves my point, though.

  8. #188

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clinton, TN
    Posts
    133
    Style
    Isshin-ryu Karate-do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    The fact that you only adressed the picture and not my post pretty much proves my point, though.
    No ... not really. There was simply not much to address in your post.

  9. #189

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    711
    Style
    kickboxing, judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren San
    Certainly ... it is low percentage in the sports ring. Would you wish to inflict that kind of injury to your opponent ... even accidently? Of course not! Because you are a human being with some kind of a moral code. You train to fight the way you fight because that of the rules you fight under. If you gained a reputation for destroying your opponents knees in your matches, you would soon run out of matches.
    didn't "some" guy in the early UFCs like ... break peoples arms even if they had already tapped?

    blah

  10. #190

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clinton, TN
    Posts
    133
    Style
    Isshin-ryu Karate-do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol
    didn't "some" guy in the early UFCs like ... break peoples arms even if they had already tapped?

    blah
    Maybe, I really don't know.

    I would wonder how long he would last doing that. Surely, sooner or later another fighter would come along who could exact "vengance" upon him for all those he intentionally and permanantly maimed in the name of "sport.".

    I would wonder how long the UFC would last allowing that to happen...can you say million dollar law suits!

    Hey Smeagol

    I wonder how much **** I would stir up if I claimed that: after decades of performing fingertip push-ups in hot coals with a ugly BJJ competitor sitting cross-legged on one's back, one could actually generate enough force to poke someone's eye out with two fingers.

    Ohhh yeah...I know. First, it is physically impossible to generate enough force to poke out the human eye. Plus, it is after all a moving target...you would actually have to have some skill. And, of course, it is low percentage!! Blah!!

Page 19 of 22 First ... 91516171819202122 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO