1. #171

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    342
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No you don't have to spar as long as you do full striking in your Randori.

  2. #172

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clinton, TN
    Posts
    133
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rexkwon
    No you don't have to spar as long as you do full striking in your Randori.
    Randori ...thats an aikido term isn't it?

  3. #173

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    342
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jiu Jitsu

  4. #174

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clinton, TN
    Posts
    133
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rexkwon
    Jiu Jitsu
    Ahhh Ok. A friend of mine got into Aikido for several years and I thought they used that term for a kind of free sparring exercise as well ...

  5. #175

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cranford,NJ
    Posts
    19
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren San
    Ahhh Ok. A friend of mine got into Aikido for several years and I thought they used that term for a kind of free sparring exercise as well ...
    They do randori in Aikido also. The Bujinkan ninjers use it too.

  6. #176
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,220
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren San
    Certainly ... it is low percentage in the sports ring. Would you wish to inflict that kind of injury to your opponent ... even accidently? Of course not! Because you are a human being with some kind of a moral code. You train to fight the way you fight because that of the rules you fight under. If you gained a reputation for destroying your opponents knees in your matches, you would soon run out of matches.

    Some people simply choose to train to fight in situations where there are simply no rules ... period. They train to develop the focus and power in their side kick to do exactly that kind of thing.

    Because you choose not to train that way, does not mean it cannot be done. It only means that it cannot be done by you.
    Again, I'm going to ask if you have any credible evidence of it actually happening. And moreover, since you've never actually done it, how you can be so confident of it coming off when the chips are down?

  7. #177
    Poop Loops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Americastan
    Posts
    10,025
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren San
    Certainly ... it is low percentage in the sports ring. Would you wish to inflict that kind of injury to your opponent ... even accidently? Of course not! Because you are a human being with some kind of a moral code. You train to fight the way you fight because that of the rules you fight under. If you gained a reputation for destroying your opponents knees in your matches, you would soon run out of matches.

    Some people simply choose to train to fight in situations where there are simply no rules ... period. They train to develop the focus and power in their side kick to do exactly that kind of thing.

    Because you choose not to train that way, does not mean it cannot be done. It only means that it cannot be done by you.


    Go in the corner.

    Ever watch Rampage Jackson SLAM PEOPLE ON THEIR HEADS? That could cause severe brain damage and death. Yet he still gets fights. Ever see Silva smash Rampage's face with knees? SMASH HIS FACE? Quit making excuses for training shitty. In MMA you can get your neck broken, brain damage, arms, legs, shoulders broken. People are willing to fight like that. They scoff at your "knee kick".

  8. #178
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    8,863
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops


    Go in the corner.

    Ever watch Rampage Jackson SLAM PEOPLE ON THEIR HEADS? That could cause severe brain damage and death. Yet he still gets fights. Ever see Silva smash Rampage's face with knees? SMASH HIS FACE? Quit making excuses for training shitty. In MMA you can get your neck broken, brain damage, arms, legs, shoulders broken. People are willing to fight like that. They scoff at your "knee kick".
    Total Poopwnage ....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

  9. #179

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    860
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Again, I'm going to ask if you have any credible evidence of it actually happening. And moreover, since you've never actually done it, how you can be so confident of it coming off when the chips are down?
    if you want an example of someone doing to themselves there is Sharmba Mitchell back in 2001 in a boxing match, while he did have a prexisting injury from years prior, apparently it got reagravated while beeing clinched. Justin Eilers is another case i believe in UFC 53? but im not sure if it was a strike to the knee or not.

    you can find a number of situations like this, but im not sure if some of them are strikes to the knees or not. suffices to say, i would imagine most injuries are due to chance rather than dilibratly attacking an opponents knee while in the ring.

  10. #180
    Teh El Macho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Posts
    11,746
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren San
    Randori ...thats an aikido term isn't it?
    :seppuku: :seppuku: :seppuku:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

    My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

    New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

    t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

    The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO