Administrator

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 5:58am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anti-Grapple

On another thread we are discussing anti-grapple. Obviously there is much back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shu2jack
    I agree, it shouldn't be taught by an untrained practitioner. I don't know what they should call it. Could you really call it "BJJ", if you are not actually using the entire system and only using elements and certain techniques in a system? Does JJJ and BJJ own the rights to all ground techniques, so if you use anything found in any of those systems you have to call it BJJ/JJJ? I suppose that is a different topic, that I don't really want to get into, but I find it to be a interesting issue. What ever you call it though, a qualified individual should be teaching it.

Here is what I said

You have just defined anti-grapple perfectly. An individual using specific techniques from a grappling art without credit or training.
    Interesting?? So, as to not stink up the other thread I brought it here instead.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 6:30am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think of the anti-grapple as an amorphous, absolute evil, kind of like Satan's shadow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 6:39am

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I posted in that other thread later......

I wasn't so much concerned with "anti-grappling". The issue I am curious about is Taking certain segments of an art (actually learning them from a legit instructor), giving credit to where you learned it, and calling it ground fighting vs. Calling something BJJ, or JJJ, but not actually teaching the complete system.
    If a martial artist (lets use a TKDer as an example, since a TKDer started this mess) learns to grapple from a qualified instructor and he passes on some of this knowledge to TKD students, what should you call it?

It would the right thing to do to let students know where you learned what you are teaching, but could you honestly call it BJJ/JJJ/what ever? Calling it such might imply that you are teaching the system/art, which you are not.

You could still credit where you learned the grappling from, but would it be totally fair to just call what you are teaching "ground fighting"? It seems to be more accurate.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 7:05am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shu2jack
    From what I posted in that other thread later......

If a martial artist (lets use a TKDer as an example, since a TKDer started this mess) learns to grapple from a qualified instructor and he passes on some of this knowledge to TKD students, what should you call it?

It would the right thing to do to let students know where you learned what you are teaching, but could you honestly call it BJJ/JJJ/what ever? Calling it such might imply that you are teaching the system/art, which you are not.

You could still credit where you learned the grappling from, but would it be totally fair to just call what you are teaching "ground fighting"? It seems to be more accurate.
    Knowing the knowledge well enough for you own use and well enough to teach it are two different things. If you learned TKD and BJJ but you aren't certified to teach one of them, don't. That is the reason for certification.......

Not all certs are equal. Its like saying a yoga instructor can teach TKD or along those lines.

This should not be done. IF THAT IS THE CASE THEN THAT INSTRUCTOR IS LYING. Period. They deserve to be decertified, crucified, sodomized, etc for doing it.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 7:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think anit-grappling is badly taught grappling. It is the belief that a striker can use kicks and punches to stop a grapplers take downs. They often try and prove this by having another striker try to perform grappling take downs who knows nothing about them and thinks they are some sort of grossly telegraphed tackle where the grapplers head is exposed.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 7:30am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, anti-grappling is an oxymoronic term the way WChunners use it. Syntactically and semantically, anti-grappling could not contain any grappling in it. What WChunners are proposing in reality is non-grappling techinques to counter a grappler. That's how it should be called.

Now, I don't think such a concept is an oxymoron, but for someone to pull that off either he has to be a super-duper striking demi-god that does not need any knowledge of grappling to pull it off, or it has to be a competent striker with competent knowledge of grappling. So far, the "anti-grappling" we've seen constitutes neither.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 9:43am

Style: Jujutsu, freestyle Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

If a TKD'er learned REAL grappling from a QUALIFIED instructor, he would quickly come to the conclusion that TKD is total ****, and begin training in a decent style.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 10:48am

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    On another thread we are discussing anti-grapple. Obviously there is much back and forth.

Here is what I said

Interesting?? So, as to not stink up the other thread I brought it here instead.
    What I think deffines anti-grapple are movements that relate to a standup fighter(wing-chun'er) fighting off a grappler.Most of these forms consist of side-kicks and parriing.

Or what Elnyka said.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The real question is... Should one even begin to define ANTI-grappling?

Why aren't grapplers trying to invent anti-striking? Because the Anti-anything idea is moronic?

I think so.
    More human than human is our motto.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 11:59am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    What I think deffines anti-grapple are movements that relate to a standup fighter(wing-chun'er) fighting off a grappler.Most of these forms consist of side-kicks and parriing.

Or what Elnyka said.
    At one time I'd agree. Yet, recently we had a person use the RNC and say BJJ doesn't work. We have WC'ers saying a bong sau(?) is an armbar escape. We have someone saying the sprawl is the anti-grapple even though it comes from grappling. Now, we have people on a thread saying it is good for a TKD to think outside the box, by doing the anti-grapple.

I know it is hard to define. I guess just watching as someone says it is okay to teach poor grappling, sometimes hidden within forms is, wrong.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast