Administrator

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 1:07pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9chambers;
    I've said it once and I'll say it again. Who cares if you're Mcdojish as long as you are true to yourself. If you want to teach crap then at least be honest with those you teach. That's what I've seen some "Mcdojos" do. They say "we don't teach you how to fight, just how to be confident, get in shape, blah blah blah. As long as you are honest then its nobody's business but your own.

Go away I'm talking to myself

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    5/09/2003 12:33am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega and Wastrel are correct.

As for your book, I'm a fairly good amateur editor if you want to shoot me a copy for review/critique/editing when you're done. I'm not a professional, but I've found I seem to be the editorial reference of choice lately for many of the martial artists I know who are currently writing their own pieces. I'm not looking to be in any credits or anything...just as long as I get a free copy (autographed) of the finished product I'm fine with that.

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Happiness is finding yourself in the adoring gaze of one who loves you.
    I hope to once again know that feeling."
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine
  3. 9chambers

Posted On:
    5/09/2003 11:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crim,

Cool. I could finish it soon.. but the more I write, the bigger the scope gets.. and I have some drawing projects I am concentrating on.. it will be a little while.

Everyone else,

See, I am not the only guy writing a book or long essay. A lot of martial artists do it. Kuntaokid even said he was working on a book.

Also,

For the love of God.. let this thread die already. It's embarrassing that it went 4 pages.

>> Perhaps it was because I had an inherent skill for the science and never deviated from natural principles. - Miyamoto Musashi 1643

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2003 12:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9chambers,

I'm not much of a martial artist, but I am a lifelong practitioner of Bullshido, and I have advanced rank & certificates in a little art known as Mar Ke Ting. (My professional background is in advertising & market research.)

My advice to you is to start your own school and use your absence of rank as a badge of honor- a selling point. You could market your school to people who think that belts, rank, certicates, etc. are bullshit. Those are probably the people you want anyway.

Yes, that will certainly eliminate a lot of potential students from your school since the majority are pursuing the almighty black belt. But I guarantee you that there is a niche market out there for people who don't care about rank. Some think this way because their experience tells them that it's largely b.s. Some will just get off on the whole idea of bucking the traditional system and doing sort of an anti-establishment martial art (As you alluded to, wasn't that sort of the idea behind JKD?)

In any case any rank you get at this late date won't be enough to compete with the umpteen impressive sounding dan rankings that the owners of the local McDojos have in their yellow pages ads. Why play their game? Your strength is the unconventional, non-traditional approach you bring to the table.

If you decide to go that route, PM me and I'll give you all the free advice you want on how to market this thing. I won't charge you a dime for this "consulting" I just think this would be a fun exercise.

Edited by - George S. Patton, Jr. on May 09 2003 12:24:03

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/09/2003 12:45pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this man scares me

6. 9chambers

Posted On:
    5/10/2003 12:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Patton,

My biggest concern with going that route are insurance. Couldn't I get sued if I don't have a certificate or rank?

everyone,

I went to the local martial arts supplies store and I found a couple more schools here in town ::

* American Aikido Institute:
    Gary Howard
    www.americanaikido.com

* White Dragon Ninjutsu (ecclectic)
    Frank Jones (at the YWCA)

* Some security training place in a nearby town:
    www.securityskills.com

* T.H. Boxing Center

* Shoto-Jitsu Karate (Ron Reed)

* Isshin Ryu Karate
    Augburn + Walden Family Dojo

* Joe Lewis Champion Karate Systems

(also one or two private TKD instructors)

I am thinking the best ones in ton are Jack McVicker's BJJ/JKD place that I mentioned before and also this Joe Lewis Karate place sounds like it might be interesting. I have serious questions about the validity of "White Dragon" Ninjutsu. The boxing club might be cool to visit too.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/10/2003 1:09am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ahem, legally no there are no direct repercussions for teaching martial arts and not being certified. Because civil law changes from state to state check with legal presidence first. Insurance angencies, in general do not require certification in rank as it is not their expertise.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2003 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "but I just don't want to talk about it on here anymore. People like Brandie are getting the wrong idea about me..." So what? Let 'em talk. You put your stuff out there and that's that. What, are you are thin skinned or afraid you'll get one of those (once funny, now redundant and dull) pictures of "owned?" From what I've read of your comments, you can stand proud.

You sound like the book is what is now your concern, but if you do start teaching, wear whatever you feel like. For financial reasons you might have to call your school something, and look like a black belt. In this town there are two instructors that started their own systems. One wears a black belt and one a red belt and no one questions them as they are good, have schools and students and enter the local tournaments and it's just obvious that they have spent a LOT of time over years doing and learning ma. One enters the trad Japanese tourneys and is very much a part of the scene with the Japanese guys. If they (very conservative trad Japanese) are judging him on his skills, behavior, and good intent (helps with the tourneys and speaks the ma Japanese terms), and are not showing ANY concern about who and when did he get his rank, I can't really see any problem setting up your own system.

Our Kyokushinkai instructor was not certified to teach and he laughed about that situation. He was good and a tourney champion and could have given a **** about some certificate given by some high ranking guy that frankly wasn't good as he was, and never was in the first place. Yes, I'm sure he wasn't traditional, so what? As I enter tournaments doing Kyokushin kata in a gi with the Kyokushinkaikan in characters on my chest, I'm a Kyokushinkai black belt and so what if I'm not certified with IKO1 or whatever? I still work out in their dojos when I can and if someone has a problem I'll put on my white belt and try to kick their heads off a little harder. (Hasn't happened yet-old fucks who walk the walk tend to get away with a little more ****-oh and this is going on and on but I do want to make it REAL clear that when I'm in a Kyokushin dojo I don't swear or cuss or do anything but bow and sweat and show respect-they deserve it and they are DANGEROUS POWERFUL PEOPLE)

"Only IDIOTS think kata is useless because they don't know what they are talking about!!!" 5/6/03 by the the man himself, Asia

Edited by - patfromlogan on May 10 2003 11:19:55
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2003 11:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't bother with ranks, IMHO they lead to ego.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2003 7:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah you are right - I have to grin and bear it when a local gal got her red "master's" belt in class last year. I was like, cool, in a trad system they call that third degree.

But the belts might bring in the bacon.

"Only IDIOTS think kata is useless because they don't know what they are talking about!!!" 5/6/03 by the the man himself, Asia
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast