>motion. Any talented writer can make it look
    >like I knows what he is talking about in
    >print, but people only tend to believe what
    >they see. Books are much better for
    >learning purposes, but something visual
    >makes a big impression and nowadays you can
    >make a DVD with a decent camcorder and
    >computer.

Holy crap! That is an awesome idea! I was thinking about how some guys sell a tape series on their art for about $175 a tape. I thought maybe I could charge like $20 a tape or something .. but including a DVD in a pocket in the back of the book (my computer classes all had tutorials on CD Roms in the back of the book) is a feaking awesome idea. I could just raise the book price to cover the DVD and sell it all in one package. A DVD could fit stuff from 10 VHS tapes.

That is an awesome idea. I do want the book to be comprehensive. My real goal .. the real dream that I have is to be able to make quality instruction available to kids growing up where there are no good dojos and for kids who can't afford dojo training. I also want people who are training themselves to have a sample outline to follow as they develop their personal art. At the same time it could be a good suppliment for those training in a dojo. That is what I want to accomplish.

Putting a DVD in it is such an awesome idea. I am glad you thought of that. Holy crap, that made my day.

>> Perhaps it was because I had an inherent skill for the science and never deviated from natural principles. - Miyamoto Musashi 1643

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 11:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK. Most of the people we all look up to; Gracies, Norris, LeBell (don't tell me he doesn't know how to fight, he spent time as a professional wrestler in the old days of Buddy "Nature Boy" Rogers. That guy was tuff until he died!!!) have some sort of certification. Sometimes several Martial Arts are represented. The BlackBelt means something. I'm not likely to check out a school that says belts and rank have no menaing, even though they don't meant you can fight.

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 12:21am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi 9chambers:

Just a couple other comments from a guy who does not teach martial arts. Insurance comes in two forms, the McDojo type which is cheaper, where you tell the insurance company your students "tag spar" and the heavy duty stuff which is more expensive. You might want to find a boxing gym or BJJ place on line and call and ask where they get the latter from.

I was thinking and I realized that sometimes lineage is conveyed not through belts but instructors certificates. the Phillepeno (sic) martial arts are like that. Stickfighting anyone? If you are running a school and you don't have a belt but do have a connection to a larger organization that might help you get over that hurdle. And of course being the nosy troublemaker I am I have another idea. You might want to go to www.dogbrothers.com These guys do full contact stickfighting and a bit of BJJ and are highly respected. Their path is not easy but sparring experience can make up for other issues in their system

Its unfortunate that all the newbe's first question is typically what is your belt? I look forward to the day when someone without formal rank but a background in physical education could receive the respect a Mcdojo gets. I also know that USA boxing organizations have coaches, maybe they have some sort of program for that? Just thinking.
  4. 9chambers

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 4:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just never mind. I don't need to start a school. Just writing the book is enough for me ~ people can take it or leave it. That will satisfy my need to share.

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 2:42am

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i wouldnt take that attitude if i were you 9chambers. teaching is an important part of your own martial development, especially in terms of understanding and conveyance of core principles.

another major benefit is the opportunity to train with many different types of people. differences are too numerous to mention. the need for training with multiple partners cannot be underscored enough. in a school , you have that element. priceless.

you will also be likely to train more than if you didnt have a school.

when a class is conducted in martial arts, the teacher always learns more than the students. the funny thing about students is that they are invaluable teachers. unbelievable how much i have learned from students.

you cannot hope to be an effective transmitter of martial knowledge without getting to know your audience intimately. communicating with students will refine your ideas and help you to explain things in a more concise manner. THEY are the subject matter.

really, i think the decision to not open a school is major self-sabotage. you will be seriously missing out on a golden opportunity.

you should seriously rethink the issue.

peace.

RED ANT

Edited by - kuntaokid on May 07 2003 02:44:53

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 3:26am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Putting a DVD in it is such an awesome idea. I am glad you thought of that. Holy crap, that made my day.

No problem, I'm glad you have the balls enough to write a book, and if the DVD gives it a little more credibility, all the better. I still don't think you have to put a whole lot on the DVD, just enough for people to see with there own two eyes that you’re not a fraud. Most of the in depth learning will still come from the book, but if you want to have a bunch of video clips instead of illustrations, that's fine with me.

Just don't forget to send a check when it hits the bestseller list, or at least a free copy when it's done.

Kuntao,

I won't pretend to speak for 9chambers, but apparently he already knows the advantages of teaching and having students through teaching private lessons. All he said was that he didn't want the hassle of opening a school at this time. He can still teach in his backyard, and who knows maybe his book will lead to some sort of formal training location in the future.

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 3:45am

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yea, i will bow out now. he knows what is best for him.

peace.

RED ANT
  8. 9chambers

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 8:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I posted this on the stupid "popularity" thread as a response to Brandie posting that I was most likely to start a mcdojo. I thought I would re-post it here to explain why I said that I don't want to start a school. I might still try in the future, depending on how the book goes (note to self - Punisher gets check or free copy) but I just don't want to talk about it on here anymore. People like Brandie are getting the wrong idea about me and so I want to stop talking about all of this and just do it on my own.

Thanks kuntaokid, Punisher and everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it. I will keep you posted as to what developes. My focus will be on the book and DVD for now.

[The "popularity" post]

------------------
    Brandie,

>I'm not quite sure why you feel so
    >insulted. After all, YOU were the one
    >to post a thread about making up your
    >own martial art,

Oh, so that is what this "popularity" crap thread is about. As if my making my own personal style wasn't on my profile since I started coming here last summer. Forgive me for seeking a little advice from a forum that I think is worth something. I was trying to do the responsible thing and ask for advice so I wouldn't end up starting a mcdojo. Isn't that kind of the opposite of trying to start a mcdojo?

Forget about all of my posts prior to the "Rank" thread, only THAT ONE matters. You quit posting for a month so you can do other stuff with that time (like train) and people forget who you are.

Well, here: this is where I store my previous posts so I don't have to type crap over and over again. (I can just cut and paste when the topic has been done to death in a previous thread anyway)

http://members.tripod.com/~bridgeh725/mcdojo.html
    http://members.tripod.com/~bridgeh725/mcdojo2.html
    http://members.tripod.com/~bridgeh725/mcdojo3.html
    http://members.tripod.com/~bridgeh725/mcdojo4.html
    http://members.tripod.com/~bridgeh725/mcdojo5.html
    http://members.tripod.com/~bridgeh725/mcdojo6.html
    http://members.tripod.com/~bridgeh725/mcdojo7.html

Those posts should remind you that I have put my time in here, making posts on a variety of topics. Forgive me for thinking that I had been here long enough that I could ask something personal without offending people who are so insecure with themselves that they can't handle it when someone else says they have a little experience.

>how to get a black belt fast (so your gym
    >would have some legitimacy, even if you
    >aren't planning on teaching that
    >style primarily),

On the contrary, I SAID that I planned on getting a legit rank so I could teach that legit style. I'd offer my style in the same dojo for people who wanted to take it in a seperate class. I could give them both the instruction in a style they would be ranked in (one I respected) and rank in my system, which I believe is awesome, if they wanted to take those classes too.

I would be offering them twice as much as they would get in a regular dojo, not using a bait and switch. You don't read well.

>Sorry, but sometimes the truth hurts.

You'd know.
    ------------------

Anyway, so it's my frustration with seeming like a mcdojo type that has made me want to stop talking about all of this. I've recieved some good advice. I'm thankful for it. When I have a book to back up my feeling that this style has merit then I may comment on it again. Until then I think it is pointless to continue to talk about it. Let's just let it go for now. Thanks. - John

>> Perhaps it was because I had an inherent skill for the science and never deviated from natural principles. - Miyamoto Musashi 1643

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 9:08am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9Chambers,
    I think it's quite possible that you are a real fighter with something valuable to teach, but I still thought brandeis' comment was really funny. If you think about it, you fit the description. HOWEVER:

1. As long as you spar hard in the course of instruction...
    2. As long as you don't claim to be something you're not...
    3. As long as you don't run a scary pyramid scheme...
    4. And all the rest...

People, on here anyway, won't think you're McDojo. And you won't be one.

That said. In a way it's important for brand to jump on that when he sees it, because we do all strike that pose anyway, and it would be hypocritical for forum members not to regulate each other.

If, for example, a forum member is known to have lied about or exaggerated an encounter with a professional martial artist, why is it rude to try and chase that down? It's not. It's the right thing to do.

I guess what I'm saying is, even though brand's comment got to you, he has a point, a cautionary point. The truth is, everyone on this thread who didn't caution you in a similar manner was doing you a partial disservice. Does that make sense?

"I'm devastating, looking for some refreshment!"

Courtesy of flubtitles.com
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog
  10. 9chambers

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 11:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea, I guess so. I just took it personal because..

>Forgive me for seeking a little advice from a
    >forum that I think is worth something. I was
    >trying to do the responsible thing and ask
    >for advice so I wouldn't end up starting a
    >mcdojo. Isn't that kind of the opposite of
    >trying to start a mcdojo?

.. I was trying so hard to be non-mcdojo-ish.

I don't have any hard feelings against brand, massive retaliation is my Internet policy. It wasn't anything personal.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast