Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 1:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, I have never entered one! but i'm always up to a good ole fashined street brawl. and NO i do not need a good ole street brawl to develop a reputation.

nhb, do they allow biting and tearing. If the answer is NO than it's not nhb.

street fighting truley has NO RULES. anything goes, ANYTHING.

"If attacked fight, and fight to kill"
  2. 9chambers

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 2:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kuntaokid,

As long as I have insurance and a clearly outlined curriculum (available for examination) then I should be fine, right? If I can demonstrate that the stuff works and that the school has a mission statement that is friendly and productive then that's all I should need to do. (Once I get the book done I should be ready to go) I guess that is all true.

Getting a rank in an obscure art would be pointless as far as building a legit reputation, I see that now. Getting rank in BJJ or JKD and then teaching my stuff instead would be pointless too. Hmm..

* What kind of insurance do I need? Do you know?

Still, I might take BJJ at that school when I can afford it. I am fairly sure that their team competes in semi-NHB events sometimes. I know they at least enter submission wrestling and grappling tournaments. I'll have to see what their school is like. Maybe I can just find out from them when the tournaments are and enter on my own.

[If you don't mind, once I get the book done I'd like to try to post it on a web page for a while so I can get feedback. I really want to avoid becoming a mcdojo at all costs. I want to be accountable to someone. Without an organization, I will have to just be accountable to my peers in the martial arts community as a whole.]

Punisher,

Making money at it would be good even though I hope to support myself with graphic arts. I could never afford to be in a strip mall.

Edited by - 9chambers on May 05 2003 15:00:52

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 2:58pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, I have never entered one! but i'm always up to a good ole fashined street brawl. and NO i do not need a good ole street brawl to develop a reputation.

nhb, do they allow biting and tearing. If the answer is NO than it's not nhb.

street fighting truley has NO RULES. anything goes, ANYTHING.

See now that's what I'm talking about.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 3:02pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW FYI when we talk about NHB we really mean MMA because NHB has never really been NHB. So to say NHB but have rules would be oxymoronic in a way. MMA have a lot of tough SOB's. Which I believe Brand was talking about.

So in conclusion FYI NHB is actually MMA for SOB so STFU.

ah well that was my best good morning Vietnam bit.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 3:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9Chambers,

If your are really serious about book you might want to couple it with a short DVD that shows some examples of your style in motion. Any talented writer can make it look like I knows what he is talking about in print, but people only tend to believe what they see. Books are much better for learning purposes, but something visual makes a big impression and nowadays you can make a DVD with a decent camcorder and computer.

Omega,

About the whole NHB not being NHB thing, there have been MMA events where there were basically no rules, UFC 1 being the most famous one. Here is a repost of something I wrote for a different thread that went the same direction:

The funny thing about NHB is even though the rules might not prevent the fighters from using techniques, their conscience often does.

Iíve read that even years after starting full-contact MMA-style competition, Frank Shamrock would refrain from striking and instead would focus on out working his opponent and trying to get a submission. The reason was he didnít want to hurt the other guy and felt horrible anytime he actually had to hit him.

Even if chopping someone in the throat, poking out someoneís eye, or ripping someoneís testicles off are effective grappling counterís, who is going to be able to use them and live with themselves afterwards? Maybe a guy defending his wife and family, but not someone in the UFC!

Who wants to be the asshole that killed, blinded, or made sterile another guy for the purpose of winning a couple of thousand bucks in a sporting contest? Something like that would actually probably destroy the sport, giving the politicians the necessary ammo to shut it done once and for all.

And I donít care what type of wavier he signs, if you end up killing or maiming a guy because he shoots on you or is going for an arm bar, youíre going to have a multimillion dollar lawsuit coming your way.

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 3:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    okay!

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 4:02pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will apologize for punisher at this point as he is young and doesn't know better than argue with me on NHB stuff:

First rules of the Octagon;
    No Biting
    No Eye gouging
    2 15 minute rounds

There weren't that many but they were still rules
    at UFC 2 they banned rounds
    by UFC 3 they added no fish hooking

No holds barred should stand for no rules period. Just because you read Brawl (I have my own copy) doesn't mean you understand what I'm trying to say. No holds barred sounds much better than limited rules fighting.

biting doesn't mean much when we find that Gerard Gordeau bit Royce gracie. That's why Royce popped his arm, and Gordeau was never invited back.

Still I will say this a MMA guy has a better chance on the street than most Blackbelts.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 4:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeez Omega,

I wasnít trying to say you were wrong, my main point was that even in true NHB competition that a lot of guys are going to have their own personal boundaries they arenít willing to cross.

Youíre right, that biting and eye gouging were frowned upon, but you werenít going to get disqualified for doing them just lose some cash, and you got me on the 2 15 min rounds.

Here is another weak argument that Iím sure youíve heard a million times. Itís not No Rules Fighting, itís No HOLDS Barred. I guess biting is holding something in your mouth and you can end up holding someoneís eyeball after gouging them, but you could basically disallow all forms of striking and still have a NHB competition.

I agree with you that a real MMA fighter is a bigger threat that most black belts, but if you've read some of my other posts, you know that my instructor considers a random guy off the street a bigger threat than most black belts too.

Feel free to rip me apart if it makes you feel better about yourself, I donít mind.

Edited by - Punisher on May 05 2003 16:30:20

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 4:35pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    shhh, punisher, I'm on an asshole trip these days my boss keeps telling me I'm on the computer too much.

rip rip rip.....

hah, ripped punisher apart.

sniff sniff

why won't anybody argue with me today?

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 6:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bring it on omega, i like people better when they are dikk heads!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast