Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 9:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do they have many nhb tourneys in waltham mass brande? and how many have you entered?
    1) No, they don't.
    2) Why do I need to enter one?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 11:14pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MASS destruction and a few NAGA ones if you want enter brand. So how many have you enter Jamoke?

Go away I'm talking to myself

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 11:21pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, by the way 9chambers you did ask me to look at your first post, but I already told you I was saying that your second choice, referring to your original post, would be your best bet. Also why don't you surround yourself with some mutual minds. Get together and create something where each of you can lend your specialty. **** JKD, that was Bruce Lee's thing. Chuck, Scott, and Albert have a cool thing going here in SLO. They teach Shotokan karate with Muay Thai Sparring and grappling. And that's for the kids. The bottom line is if you think you have something to teach go for it. You don't need anybody's permission. You don't need any large org to tell you you're good, and you definitely don't need any mambi pambi blackbelt.

Go away I'm talking to myself
  4. 9chambers

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 12:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punisher,

>Do you want it to make money and support
    >your family or do you want to have skilled
    >and dedicated students?

I graduated in August with a degree in graphics and I have a History degree. I want to work in advertizing or publishing of some sort. I also want to draw comics and write books. Right now I am substitute teaching while I look for graphics jobs.

Everyone,

My real dream is to have my own title at Image comics, write some books on the side and also have a small private martial arts school where people can train and workout. I don't want to support myself with the school. As long as I don't take a loss on it then I will be happy. I just want to teach.

I've had a dozen private students over the years and I have seen positive results in them. I am very organized in my training and I keep log books .. this is what started my book project. I am writing a book to organize my style into a curriculum. My plan thus far has been to wait until I finish the book and publish it. Then I can start a school based solely on that book. If people want to know what I teach they can just look at the comprehensive book. They can even buy it and train on their own if they want. If they want more guidance then I am there. I just want to share what I've found in my exploration. I think everyone gets that desire after a while.

My whole push to start a school right now is just .. my substitute job ends in May (school is out) and up until this weekend there hadn't been a graphics job in the paper since August. I am nervous about how I am going to support myself. A little money from teaching would help.

I could just take on a private student. Usually, I have done that for free. I don't think I could charge a friend. Also, if I don't charge people starting out then how do I just suddenly start charging them?

Maybe for now a good way to go would just be to put a flyer up saying, "Local freestyle MA instructor looking for student/training partner to help in developing experimental system for book project. Will recieve detailed training for a minimal fee and may be included in photos for a book project. I train myself anyway. I don't even have a steady partner right now for that ..having a partner who wanted to be there every time would rock. Crap, I need to just forget about charging people until I get the book together. How can I charge someone for being my training partner?

Well, lets say they are a TKD or Hapkido belt holder and they want to learn some different stuff to throw in there .. or someone who honestly wants to learn to defend their life or just some nut who loves this stuff like me .. maybe they would pay.

*sigh*

I am just frustrated with this economy and I want to work doing something I like! I am trying to get drawings together as quickly as I can. I am turning in some resume's around town tomorrow. I guess starting a school now isn't the answer for me .. I just want a small school someday where I can train myself and a few students in a friendly atmosphere. I am not trying to make a million dollars with it.

I do plan on going to the JKD/BJJ school when I get a steady job again. I just want to do it for fun. Competition keeps you sharp and they are the only school in the area that competes in realistic stuff. (submission wrestling, etc) I can't afford to go there right now. ~ Also, I want to learn more about Baji and the rest of those arts listed earlier.. just for fun. I like learning new stuff.

It would be fun to finally get a legit rank in something. There is more to life than knowing how to fight. Just the fun of hanging out with some Kung Fu guys and exchanging ideas would be worth it.

Edited by - 9chambers on May 05 2003 00:56:59

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 2:03am

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9chambers,

unless you have a lineage system behind you, a belt doesnt mean anything. even then it is only relevant to a small sector of the martial arts.

if someone told me he had a gold sash in zuihequan, how in the hell would i know if it was legit or not. check a website? look at the relatively microscopic representation of martial arts at the local bookstore? there are instructors and systems you never heard of and never will. how can someone judge various claims?

skills and knowledge, as always.

i personally dont care what lineage you are from, or what belt you have. seeing (or feeling) is believing.

what are going to do? take a completely different style for rank and then teach your system.

"master 9chambers, gold sash in ninjitsu. currently instructing classes in koashiryu. wtf?"

"master 9chambers, why dont you teach us ninjitsu? that is what your ranked in. does it suck?"

"no pupil, ninjitsu is good, but i just got the belt to convince you that my system , koashiryu, is good too."

sounds to me like you doubt your own validity. your just hindering yourself with hypothetical problems. just do it.

nobody can regulate martial arts.

just try to do a good job. few do.

peace.

"Now why would you just stand there and watch him do that!?"
    -teacher

Edited by - kuntaokid on May 05 2003 02:05:22

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 2:20am

Style: TKD, soon BJJ JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the problem lies in the fact that whatever you know or do you have to give someone a reason to part with tehir hard earned money. you have to show htem what you can offer them it sucks but we still live in a society wich is consumer driven. there must also be a balance between the the customer controlling your school and you just being a big jerk and not having any students because you are a hard nosed jerk. i mean joe shmo of the street needs to be convinced that you are the best person to teach them or teach there children.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 2:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what no pithy remarks like "shutup ATAMAN"
    i agree though that the park rec center or th like is great.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 2:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    STFU ATAMAN

---------
    Shut up and train

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 3:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HAHAHAHA

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 4:18am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9Chambers,

Don’t underestimate the time, dedication, and money necessary to run a quality martial arts school. If your primary income is going to be from somewhere else, realize you’ll probably end up having two full time jobs. Expect to martial arts school to lose money, not make it, especially if you end up leasing a space somewhere like a strip mall. Rent is very high, then the landlord doesn’t care that the business will only be open from 5pm-9 pm Mon-Fri.

I know you don’t have aspirations off getting this big, but my school has three basic types of locations. It has the park and rec programs, that are cheap, fun, high student volume and basically for kids. Then we have a 2000 sq ft studio in a run down strip mall. Most of the serious students train here, and it is open from 4 pm to 9 pm, Monday-Friday. Finally we have are new studio location. This is a very small 800 sq ft space in a modern strip mall.

My instructor has tried to make each location financially viable, ie at least break even. The park and rec’s are easy, and actually make a fair profit. We have 5 park and rec locations and each one is run by a separate instructor.

The large studio is a little tougher. It is only open during the evening and it is basically full whenever it is open and has the single highest concentration of staff. A head instructor and maybe two assistants run group class on the main floor while two or sometimes three private lessons are going on in the back.

The third location is what you seem to want to do. This place is our smallest location, but honestly has the best instruction because that is where the owner teaches. He chose this location because he wanted to be close to his home. He basically runs everything there himself, occasionally with one assistant. The thing is, to make the place break even he has to teach private lessons all day, then teach group classes all night. He opens the school a 11 am and it closes at 9 pm. He still personally trains all the instructors and top students at both locations, but is finding his schedule tight trying to do that.

This guy was the only instructor I really had and when I came back after college, I could tell that it hurt his heart to tell me that he wouldn’t be personally instructing me. I was starting completely over, and he just couldn’t bump someone who was teaching private lessons or running a park and rec location out of his schedule for a “beginner” regardless of our past history.

He set me up with one of his best private instructors, an awesome martial artist and a very competent teacher, but like I said I could tell it bothered him that he was no longer in a place where he could do everything.

Another thing I wanted to mention is that my instructor, the owner of the school not my private one, is another guy that made up his own style. He spent almost twenty years doing some other guys art and received a 4th degree black belt. The whole time he was distressed that some of the things he was doing and teaching where fundamentally flawed. He tried to find new instructors to show him better ways of doing the same stuff, and made various refinements and improvements on his own, but there came a time where he had to start from scratch and make the decision to branch out on his own. For the record, as the founder of our “style” my instructor has no “rank” other than that in our system and will continue to hold that same “rank” or no rank however you look at it until he dies.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast