Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 4:45am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I apologize if Iím about to reiterate other peopleís points, but itís late I and I wanted to reply before I go to bed and I just couldnít read in depth what everyone had to say.

Rank

Rank is supposed to be an external representation of an internal quality, your skill. You profess to have the skill, but are bothered that you donít have the artificial piece of paper or cloth that ďprovesĒ you are worth something. There are many, many arts that have no formal raking structure and if you truly wish to teach your own style of fighting and not that of someone else, a rank in another art isnít going to really matter. If someone asks you qualifications, be honest. Tell them how long you have being training, what type of training you have done, and why you think your style has merit.

Starting your own school

If you really want to do this, you have to make some hard choices on what you want your school to accomplish. Do you want it to make money and support your family or do you want to have skilled and dedicated students? While I believe almost all martial arts schools try to start out doing both, most find that those two goals are almost mutually exclusive. Iíve seen too many great martial arts schools fail, because they werenít willing to make the concessions necessary to be financial viable. In fact the best martial artist and instructor that I know, now makes a living as a dance teacher because he found there is really no money in quality martial arts.

If you want to go the quality route and still want to survive, start small. Before you open a formal school, start with friends, family, or anyone else that might be interested in what you have to offer and try to build a small base of ďcoreĒ students. Think of it as preparation, and I would suggest teaching private lessons and not charging at first. Count on most of your new students coming in as a result of personal referrals.

When you think you are ready, you can contact local park and recreation districts or health clubs, and try to set up some sort of introductory self-defense class. People will be more willing to accept advice from a guy in sweat pants with no formal ranking in this setting. Think of this as another way to market your style, stressing that this class just teaches the basics, and that more advanced training is available to those who are interested.

When you have enough core students that you think it is time to actually get a studio of your own, make sure you have all the particulars, such as curriculum, whether or not your students will receive rankings, the name of your style, etc all planned out. The 9 chambers theme gives you some fun stuff to play with. You can have nine rankings.

You can and should call your style and school whatever you want. If you were inspired by the Asian arts, Iíve no problem with your original name. Or you can just call it 9 Chambers Progressive Fighting Academy or something like that. Give yourself a title, such as Sifu or Sensei or at least Instructor. These are not honorary or pompous, and are NOT the same thing as you proclaiming to be Master 9Chambers or some sort of Grandmaster of Chamber-Soon-Do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 9:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9Chambers,

I understand your frustration. Probably your best option would be to start a program out of a public recreation center or gym. A lot of these include martial art classes along with a membership, or just charge an extra fee for the classes. The center many times just pays the instructor per class or hour taught.
    This can cut through many of the start-up hassles of starting your own MA school.

I don't think many people at the center or gym will care much about rank. I now own a full time MA school, but I started out in 1994 teaching out of a large gym/ track/ pool facility. No one ever asked me about my credentials before they started, even though I had them ready to present.
    After I built up enough students, I left the facility and started my own location. If you establish your reputation in the public as a teacher, I don't think many people will care much about rank. They only care that they learn something and that you make eack one feel accepted at the school. Good student-teacher relationships go a long way in MA, just as customer service goes a long way in business.

About the "Black Belt." I've seen so many people train and make it to black belt then think they've "graduated" and quit. Martial arts training is not like college where you study for 4 or 5 years then graduate. It is an on-going learning process, whether it is on your own or through an instructor-preferably with the guidance of an instructor. But, each level of black belt should have new material to learn. I can't imagine having stopped training at 1st Dan(first step) and thinking, "Ok, I've learned this art." It would be like someone completing elementary school and thinking they knew it all.

I've seen schools come an go, growing up around martial arts, but moreso since I opened my own location. Some of these came from larger organizations, but most of the schools that open/close in less than a year where I am are the ones that are people that created their "own style" or never seemed to have the patience to keep with one teacher or art for any length of time. Perhaps they personally lacked the patience and determination to keep their school open, just as they lacked the patience to stick with something else in their lives. I don't know. But, I have seen a direct relationship.

Mr. 9Chambers, you seem to have the right attitude to open a school and I wish you the best. I really can't recommend a school in the list you provided.

R. McLain

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 9:35am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9Chambers,
    Just trying to make a point about the establishment of credibility. There are really only two ways-lineage and competition. The only other way, which is really just experience, would be to get into the SEALS, get out and teach some sort of new "combatives".

I stick by my original recommendation, and I'm SURE that you could learn something at that JKD Concepts/BJJ school.

"I'm devastating, looking for some refreshment!"

Courtesy of flubtitles.com
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 9:37am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought I shoudl add this:

Don't get confused about your qualifications as a fighter, and those as a teacher. They're different. And try to look at it as a knowledgeable prospective student, and you'll get a better idea of what you need to do or not do.

"I'm devastating, looking for some refreshment!"

Courtesy of flubtitles.com
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 10:39am

Style: TKD, soon BJJ JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey 9 chambers
    i am an ATA trainee instructor and i assure you as a school owner you have the liberty to teach whatever you want as long as you cover the basic curriculum. where do you live i might be able to find you a great school that is open to people like yourself. it may not be in you town though. not all ata schools are equal my instructor teach all kinds of stuff that isnt "ATA material".

the ata has been set up to be a somwhat loose organization. in fact ther are several people in my schoool that train for MMA fights and win. it all depends on what you want. i will tell you this though for a independet business owner ata has a awesome suport system. ex. we have had NHB nights where you could pretty much do whatever you wanted to if you wanted to go full contact no pads then you go for it. part of the problem is that many instructors are looking for the bottom line of money problem is that it makes it bad for the rest of the instructors who are putting out quality students. i am not going to sit here and defend those schools that are not putting out quality people.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 10:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the schools i am giving you are the ones that i would reccomend tha tyou go to however i am not personally endorsing these schools because i have never went to them however each one of these instructors have at least twenty years of experience.

MINTON'S ATA BLACK BELT ACADEMY
    SENIOR MASTER PHILLIP S. MINTON
    3051 SOUTH 3RD PLACE
    TERRE HAUTE, IN 47802
    (812) 235-3309

MORRIS DYNAMICS
    MASTER GARY W. MORRIS
    333-F PLAZA EAST DLVD.
    EVANSVILLE, IN 47715
    (812) 471-8111

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 11:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i resound what wastrel says about the difference betwen actually teachinga person what you now and your ability to execute what you know. yes there is a connection but can you reproduce youreslf in others? in wich case this way a hypathetical question. i feel that you should get some training on how to take someone from being a lemming to being a great fighter and instructor.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 4:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could always go kick someone's ass that is ranked.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 5:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not just enter a few nhb tournaments, whoop some people until you get a reputation, and use that?

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 9:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do they have many nhb tourneys in waltham mass brande? and how many have you entered?

"If attacked fight, and fight to kill"
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast