Posted On:
    5/03/2003 10:37am

supporting member
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "A black belt means exactly *dick*."

"I have a black belt and it means nothing."

Just because it has "NO VALUE" to you means DICK!

"If attacked fight, and fight to kill"

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    5/03/2003 10:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In conclusion skummer, YOU HAVE NO MEANING.

But my opinion means something only to me, but DICK to you.

Administrator

Achievements:
    OverdriveTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsThree Friends3 months registered

Posted On:
    5/03/2003 11:25am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "A black belt means exactly *dick*."

I'll have to agree with skummer on this one. The belt doesn't mean ****. But what about the person who's wearing it? Somebody wants to fight me and tells me I have a blackbelt I say fuckem. I'm not fighting the belt I'm fighting you. What can you do?

At least I think this is what you're trying to say skummer.

Anyway, 9chambers. You want a rank just make one up yourself. Hell, and I'm not sure about this, but isn't that what Bruce Lee did?

Go away I'm talking to myself

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    5/03/2003 12:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The RANK Black Belt has a lot of significance. It's some of the people who wear it that makes it appear it has no significance.

The Black Belt means alot inside the shop. But on the street it all depends how good you are because of your martial arts training.

Like i have said many times before, most shops have NO idea what they are teaching. The instructors have never been in a fight, but they teach people how to fight, or should i say they think they are teaching people how to fight.

either you have the killing/fighting in you or you don't. nobody can make you something your not.

a black belt will not make you something your not. But it has many meanings.

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    5/03/2003 12:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Inconclusion, most people have NO CLUE how to fight their way out of a paper bag, and that includes blacks belts of all levels.

Administrator

Achievements:
    OverdriveTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsThree Friends3 months registered

Posted On:
    5/03/2003 1:36pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blackbelt still doesn't mean ****.

"Belt only to hold pants up" Mr. Miyagi

I'm not sayin you can't be proud you earned a blackbelt, like earning a bachelors degree, but you don't see anybody else walking around with a degree around their waist or anything like that. Or if a heavy weight champion walking around with title belt around their waist while they're working out.

You can where your blackbelt with all those funky stripes on there, one of the local guys in Grover beach has like six stripes on his belt. Or you could walk around like most of the coaches in my gym and just say "hey you think you know more than me then show it."

Go away I'm talking to myself

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/03/2003 3:33pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9chambers;

I found a possibility for you. Dr. Jerry Beasley runs an organization called the AIKIA that does free dan testing and he is recruiting 1st-3rd dan instructors. He has studyed JKD but also is very much into TKD, Karate, Hapkido, and Tang Soo Do. Beasly is also connected with Joe Lewis and Bill Wallace who are legendary karataka. The e-mail address is www.AIKIA.net or www.aikia.net I would suggest you either get rank through some body like this or forget about rank. If you award yourself an 8th dan you'll have to tell bullshit story after bullshit story and we will have to make fun of you on this board :)

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    5/03/2003 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll keep this short, because I'm losing brain cells with what most of you have said on this thread.

I trust rank more than I trust someone with nothing and just claiming to be awesome. Why? Because even if the rank is McDojo, they've at least dedicated themself to something. How many of us are actually fighting? Not many. 9Chambers, most of your students probably won't be interested in hardcore combat. They want health, safety and probably a social outlet. This isn't day care, but it's not boot camp either. I've met lots of people over my (LIMITED) years training at my dojo (and a few others) and anyone who's come in claiming to be "self taught" generally sucks. They frustrate easily. They are generally wild and uncontrolled, making them dangerous to train with as a partner.

You have two choices: Find a ranked belt and then filter through the crap, or take the MUCH larger group of ranked-and-unranked artists and THEN start filtering through the crap. Ranks aren't a guarantee, but they at least narrow down your search. And face it, most of your students won't know what to look for, so they'll look for something certified.

Since Samuel has made a suggestion, I will suggest a bit of my own. My Sensei is the founder of an organization called the YKKF. (www.ykkf.org and www.ykkf.com, our dojo is found at www.budolife.com) He has relinquished most of the political power to international reps (very good men and women). It's a far from perfect organization, but it's still "young" which means it's not heavily regimented. You may wish to look into it.

I admit I'm not heavily involved from the political side, but if you'd like to PM me to discuss it, I'm cool with that. Just remember one thing, Greek Boy...I'm Macedonian. *GRIN* I can't be trusted.

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Happiness is finding yourself in the adoring gaze of one who loves you.
    I hope to once again know that feeling."
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine
  9. 9chambers

Posted On:
    5/03/2003 7:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Samuel and Crimson,

Thanks for the links. (Crim, you Macedonian freak) I will take a look at them. I have a lot of respect for Joe Lewis. Bill is kind of a jerk from what I understand but a fierce guy nonetheless.

Wastrel,

I think you are right about dropping the "Ko Ashi" part. It makes me sound like I am trying to be something I am not. That isn't what I meant to do, it was kind of a shout out to Japanese arts. Kind of like Bruce Lee giving JKD a name that was half Chinese and half Japanese. I don't want to sound like I am hoaxing it up though .. so, the Japanese name should get dropped.

I think I do need a legit rank if I am going to teach. Maybe I wouldn't need one to write a book. People can just flip through it and say "crap" or "cool" when they look at the pictures and read the text. But to have a school without a legit rank would be a disservice to my students.

They wouldn't be able to compete in organized tournaments or even some open tournaments, they wouldn't be able to teach, they would be ronin. In modern society ronin means, unemployed loser. I think that for all their hard work they deserve some kind of a legit rank. If I don't have one then they can't have one. I don't want them to be in the same situation I am when they are my age.

I have faith in my ability to fight. I have had enough experience in that. Also, when I was at that Brown Belt testing the other day I was thinking, "Hell, I could have stood up and passed these tests with no problem. This is cake." But that doesn't make me feel like I deserve to be a teacher in a school.

Most of the unranked fighters that I have met who claimed to be martial artists were pretty lame .. but even the lamest ranked martial artists that I have met have (even though they couldn't fight) seemed to have some sense of accomplishment and a more organized way about them. They were also more humble once you started exchanging ideas. Most outsiders have a bad attitude and something to prove. I am not like that. I never felt the need to prove myself to anyone but myself.

I do want rank. I think now that I already know how to fight, I want to be a legit martial artist too. I don't think I can open a school without rank. I don't want to just turn out a band of thugs - I want students who feel like they belong to something bigger than me - I don't want to be a cult leader or something. My ego doesn't need that or anything. I just want to be around other people who enjoy this and share what I have learned. There is no hurry either .. I can wait until I have rank.

Back to the original question ::

WHAT SHOULD I GET RANK IN?

* BJJ is really stingy about rank. That would take forever. I am not willing to wait until I am 60 to start teaching. A grappling art would be cool though. The local school competes in submission tournaments. It would be fun to compete.

* ATA TKD would be so freaking boring and the competition would be unrealistic and lame. I might meet some women but they'd all be 14-18 years old. Also, I'd have to pretend that I believed in the stuff. I doubt a white belt would have much chance to reform the school either.. or eventually the whole organization on his own. TKD people need to do that themselves. They don't need me (an outsider) coming in and telling them how it's done.

* JKD is pretty cool. I like the ideals and the concepts a lot (the ecclectic thing is good for personal use even though I think a set curriculum is important for an art) but some of the techniques individual instructors come up with are crap even though a lot of schools teach really good technique. Until JKD is more organized then I don't think that is the school that is going to make me seem more legit. It is almost as outcast as I am.

I think I am going to go to the martial arts supplies store and look on their bulliten board for small schools out of people's garrages and stuff. Maybe there is someone teaching Kung Fu, Koppo or Judo someplace in town that I don't know about. I remember seeing a Taijutsu school on there the last time I checked. I don't think that is going to give me legitimacy either. :P

Hmm.. I'll check that bulliten board and let you know what other schools I find.

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    5/03/2003 10:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look, if the martial arts had no rank to make people feel good, nobody wiuld be taking karate.

Don't fukking deny it either. you bozo's say rank means nothing to you, but i bet you'd all quit if you were not rewarded, and if you say different you are full of shitt.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast