Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 3:21pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reese
    I'm interested in hearing strategies for dealing with a standing EO (enormous Opponent)

Standard takedown attempts are fraught with inherent risk of being landed upon (hard)

im a wrestler who's used to wrestling up a weight class or 2.

what works well for me is shooting low singles and turning the corner on him. they have no chance to put their weight on you and you have control of their leg.

also if they have any bad habits, i.e. crossing their legs, take advantage and double leg them while they're vulnerable. grab low on the leg, cuz its hard to lift that much weight from the thigh. if you put a guy on his back, you kinda wanna climb up his body, like pull yourself up into mount while you control his legs.

on top is defenitely where you wanna be against a big guy, and side mount is probably the best, since its a little harder for their tremendous bulk to be rolled over on top of you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 3:59pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    I train regularly with Nick Caggia, who usually weighs between 330 and 370, and has several submission victories over black belts in competition.

I'm not trying to brag; just noting that all of the following advice is from rolling with him.

1) Get on top. You don't want that kind of weight on top of you. Learn to wrestle, *****.

2) If you can't take him down, work half guard. I'm 6'4" with long legs, and I still can't effectively manage guard on him - I can't effectively lock my legs for closed guard, and I can't keep him from pressing me down flat in open guard. Half guard gives you some control over his weight while letting you escape your hips to the side so his weight isn't directly on you. Work your sweeps and back taking.

3) Stay in side mount when possible. I'm the tallest person in my gym, and in mount on Nick I only barely get my knees to touch the ground. It's inherently easier for him to reverse from there. Take mount to get the points and stay ready to bail out of it at any time. Spend most of your time in side, where you can better inhibit his movement.
    The "get on top" part I've found isn't that easy when the other guy is much bigger. My experience is that's when I typically end up on the bottom! Half-guard (especially with underhook), and on your side not your back (so he can't lay on you), is really good advice though. If I do get top I think knee-ride (knee on belly)is a good option as it let's you stay mobile, it more difficult to turn over, etc.

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 6:41pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanand
    im a wrestler who's used to wrestling up a weight class or 2.

what works well for me is shooting low singles and turning the corner on him. they have no chance to put their weight on you and you have control of their leg.

also if they have any bad habits, i.e. crossing their legs, take advantage and double leg them while they're vulnerable. grab low on the leg, cuz its hard to lift that much weight from the thigh. if you put a guy on his back, you kinda wanna climb up his body, like pull yourself up into mount while you control his legs.

on top is defenitely where you wanna be against a big guy, and side mount is probably the best, since its a little harder for their tremendous bulk to be rolled over on top of you.

The first suggestion sounds the best so far. I have no problem pulling guard (half or otherwise) and I would rather work on being offensive when fighting godzilla.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 3:00am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Be the big guy.
    3. Profit.

But seriously, the best advantage you have against a big guy is probably going to be in the conditioning and footspeed dept. God forbid he's big AND fit, but you need to, above all, set the pace of the fight. If you get cautious and let a big guy stand back, he can calculate his range advantage and offset his wind disadvantage. I'd say combos that change sides and change levels, which are a good habit anyways, would be important to make holes to hit against a bigger guy.

also, if they're allowed, kicks to the inside of the leg. Bigger people have a hell of a lot of thigh muscle on the outside sometimes, you might as well be hitting a tree, but everybody has about the same inner thigh.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 3:57am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 2/25/2006 9:29am at .

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 4:36am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez
    On the big, chunky guys who just pump iron all day, i know straight away to try for the traps (the muscle-bound fellows dont like it if you grab a handful of sensitive neck muscle) and also, try to wedge the thumb deep behind the jaw, under the earlobe. it feels great.

beyond that, the small amount of information i know on this subject has already been posted.
    So, how long have you been crappling?
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 5:02am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 2/25/2006 9:29am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 8:58am

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 2/25/2006 9:32am at .

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 9:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jez, you need to learn the difference between "Techniques" and "Exceptionally homofied bitch-tricks." If the latter has any effect on your training partners, tell them to suck less.

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 3:02pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez
    On the big, chunky guys who just pump iron all day, i know straight away to try for the traps...
    You mean like this?

Fascinating...
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Moleculo; 2/25/2006 3:07pm at .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast