Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Genius

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 4:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't pan myself off as an expert. Did I ever make a claim to that extent? I simply gave advice based on my limitted grappling experience.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 4:13pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AA wins with straight ankle lock. It would be almost an impossibility to land a heelhook and apply the right kind of rotational force while laying on Sylvia's foot unless there was some serious rolling around going on at the time. Unfortunately for any arguement, there was not any rolling around going on. AA grabbed that leg, put an ankle lock on Sylvia, and then laid over on top of that foot.

Sylvia, of course, remembered the feeling of having his arm snapped and quickly tapped.

He COULD have transitioned that straight ankle lock into an inverted (inside) heel hook if he was not getting the right pressure. But that would have required him to turn towards his left shoulder and not his right.

I believe Omega once posted the mathematical comparison between ankle lock, crossed ankle lock, heel hook, and inverted (inside) heel hook. Beg him and he may grace you with that wisdom again.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 4:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    AA wins with straight ankle lock. It would be almost an impossibility to land a heelhook and apply the right kind of rotational force while laying on Sylvia's foot unless there was some serious rolling around going on at the time. Unfortunately for any arguement, there was not any rolling around going on. AA grabbed that leg, put an ankle lock on Sylvia, and then laid over on top of that foot.

Sylvia, of course, remembered the feeling of having his arm snapped and quickly tapped.

He COULD have transitioned that straight ankle lock into an inverted (inside) heel hook if he was not getting the right pressure. But that would have required him to turn towards his left shoulder and not his right.

I believe Omega once posted the mathematical comparison between ankle lock, crossed ankle lock, heel hook, and inverted (inside) heel hook. Beg him and he may grace you with that wisdom again.
    I think when Arlovski hooks on to one of your limbs the smart thing to do is tap ASAP and get on withj your life

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 4:49pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick question:

What is the technical difference between a straight and a twisting ankle lock?

I am under the impression that a straight ankle lock has the two people facing each other and the leg that is being attacked is straightened (the knee is not bent much). With a twisting, the two people are on one side with the leg that's being attacked is bent, like in the picture above. Is this right?

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    2/26/2006 1:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    gotta start somewhere... I know these things can get dangerous, hence that's why I'm asking for some input.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2006 2:15am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    I think when Arlovski hooks on to one of your limbs the smart thing to do is tap ASAP and get on withj your life
    Straight ankle locks really aren't that d3adly. An easy escape is just to push your foot through, scrape his ankle off and roll on top. Sylvia obviously sucks at sub escapes though.

I've also heard from several people that if you dont tap, the damage is relatively minimal, though I can't say for sure.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    2/26/2006 5:29am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jitsuman
    I've also heard from several people that if you dont tap, the damage is relatively minimal, though I can't say for sure.
    Those people are full of ****. A properly done straight ankle lock will either break the bones of your foot or rupture your achilles tendon, depending on grip.

If you're not willing to take my word for it - Royler Gracie has several sub victories with the straight ankle lock in ADCC. If the damage was minimal, would people good enough to get into ADCC be tapping to it? If the damage was minimal, would someone as good as Royler be going for it?

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/26/2006 1:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Osiris, you are very wrong.

There's the achilles' hold, which is minimal damage and mostly reliant on your opponent being unwilling to endure pain.

Then there's the straight ankle lock that will break your ankle/foot, it is based on joint destruction, not pain.

Posted On:
    2/26/2006 1:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could Sir please deign to post photos of the two techniques so we can compare?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2006 2:23pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Straight ankle lock

http://bjj.org/techniques/erintoughill/t2-4/4e.jpg

Heel hook

http://img1.sports.krs.yahoo.com/fig...3114154162.jpg

Too lazy to learn how to post pictures. Just go to google and do an image search (that's what I did).
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast