Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 11:31am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Steam roller guard pass?

http://stonesforstrength.com/steam%20roller.htm

I was surfing around and found this guard pass. At 5th picture, it looks like perfect setup for double ankle sweep. Anyway, is this worth while guard pass to try or is it totall bullshido technique?

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 11:53am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm no grappling expert, but a skilled grappler is going to transition into at least another position before you can complete that technique and I have been taught how to armbar when someone comes too far over top of you in that matter.

So I would say no this is not a good idea against a trained grappler.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 11:58am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78
    http://stonesforstrength.com/steam%20roller.htm

I was surfing around and found this guard pass. At 5th picture, it looks like perfect setup for double ankle sweep. Anyway, is this worth while guard pass to try or is it totall bullshido technique?
    DAMNIT I need to start trademarking these things!!! :mad:

It not a high percentage pass but it does work and good to catch pple off gaurd with. I've done it myself. I found its best when the person is going for high guard (legs above your waste) You have have to get them on their shoulder and neck and if you keep your legs back they would beable to ankle sweep. For me I squat back slightly and explode over them so they are in the WTF mode (ie not thinking of of anything but trying not to get hurt). If they open their legs, great. If not by for a boston crab.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been taught that pass with a heel hook finish. The problem is that if the guy on the bottom is paying attention he can spin to his back before you get ahold of his foot and land the inverted heel hook at the same time. Both of you lose but the guy on top loses more.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 12:57pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I've used that pass to counter the double ankle sweep. All your weight is forward and there's no possible way they can push you backwards.
    It's also in Royler's book "Submission Techniques" with a heel hook to finish.
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 1:23pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, thank you very much. From what everyone is saying, sounds like best used as surprise pass but medium or low % sucess and carries risk of being inverted heel hooked.

I'll try that out next time I roll...hmm maybe not. Noob like me would probalby screw this up and end up neck cranking my partner badly if I try this when I'm rolling.