2/22/2006 10:07pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Defense Class Aims to Thwart Sexual Predators

Defense Class Aims to Thwart Sexual Predators

Published Date: 02-21-2006 10:47 PM
    As more people become concerned with the threat of sexual predators, one class is offering local women some lessons in self defense. First at ten Mankato's American Academy of Tae Kwon Do is hosting it's first self defense class for women. But news 12's Andrea Bullard shows us, these students are learning more than just martial arts. Tae Kwon Do is a Korean defense form that means the art of kicking and punching. While the moves are aesthetically pleasing to watch, they can also pack a powerful punch. Violence doesn't discriminate, it's sometimes timing, it's not just a big city anymore, it's for everybody. For two hours, women filled the American academy of tae Kwon do to learn basic self defense and easy escape moves.

Many mother and daughter combos came to the class to give each other a peace of mind. She's going to be in college next year and I just thought it would just be good for the both of us. The easy to do moves ranged from pressure points to getting away from bear hugs. The palm strike is a simple defense move, and if you can break a board you can break a nose. Its simple, its quick, its effective, its really easy to reach in that way and you can just go away, our number one thing is you don't hurt unless you have to.

In addition to the martial arts, these students got some lessons on how to avoid dangerous situations in the first place. When the classes are done, they'll not only have a basic understanding of defense moves but a better understanding of how danger can strike.

Our resistance to want to learn self defense is because people don't think it's going to happen to them. But the final lesson is that being prepared can sometimes make all the difference. In Mankato, Andrea Bullard, news 12. If you're interested in signing up for a self defense class, there will be one this coming Saturday at one thirty. If you have more questions about the class you can call 507-386-7400

Originaly article and some vid at
    http://www.keyc.com/article/view/93580/

*Edited for ease of reading.

In my travels to get news articles for Bullshido, I have come upon two article headlines:
    "Martial arts teacher pleads not guilty to fondling"
    and right underneath it
    "Defense Class Aims to Thwart Sexual Predators"
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 4:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they break hardwood, then I'll be impressed.
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 6:03pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's with this recurring fallacy that if you can break a crappy pinewood board you can somehow break a nose?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 3:34am

Style: Muay Thai, CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    What's with this recurring fallacy that if you can break a crappy pinewood board you can somehow break a nose?
    just like a typical mcdojo school that has weakened boards for kids to break, i guess. gives that feeling and satisfaction that you're dominating... a piece of wood at least.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 4:09am

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bet that really turns them on. Fantasies of domination and power! WOO! What a rush.

But breaking soild wood blocks teaches one to aim past the surface. Isn't that how strikes are supposed to occur? But if thats their only training in aiming past the surface then bah...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 5:11am

supporting member
     Style: Yoseikan Budo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well breaking a nose with a palm strike is not that hard, profiding the oponent doesn't move his head :-)

Also what comes after they brake the nose ? I mean they are now facing a really pist off attacker with blood on his face...

If I understood well this is a 2 hour course ??!! and they go through how to see a 'dangerous' situation and SD moves!!

I think to defend against 'sexual' predators learning the triangle choke from the guard would be more usefull than punching wood boards...
    Martial Arts is like sex, if you over complicate it with exotic sounding names, theories and principles, you end up fucking yourself in the ass. -Ronin69

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 8:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you watched the whole article they didn't say they were teaching how to break boards, it was just something a news person do to get your attention, just like sport karate bastards like to yell alot. They were talking about fast ways to get out of an attack and get somewhere safe and how to handle your surrondings in unfamiler area's. How could you have a 100lb women try to do a triangle choke on a lets say a 200lb man, not gonna happen, the point in self defense is to run not stay and try to fight dumbass. Just typical wannabe MMA fighters who think there the best and they know how to handle themselves if someone wipped out a knife at ya. They think they could beat anyone up. Someone is always better, I think it would be a good idea to just run away from the situation if you could and not find out if your better. A true martial artist is humble and will never hurt anyone if they didn't have to. They don't go talking smak about other schools or judging someone just because they heard 1 thing. Never judge someone cause your more likely wrong about them. You can be a Martial Artist or just be a person that thinks there baddass and there the ****, if you think that way, then you the one that went to a MC Dojo School

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 11:07pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by urdumb2006
    How could you have a 100lb women try to do a triangle choke on a lets say a 200lb man, not gonna happen, the point in self defense is to run not stay and try to fight dumbass.
    1) Name a MMA/BJJ/MT self-defense class that advocates NOT running away. Do not dodge this question. I know you're going to anyway, and **** you in advance for it.

2) I've been triangled by women 60+ lbs lighter than me, and I know how to defend against a triangle (well, you could say that. If you're generous.) Also, Royce Gracie v Dan Severn.

I would like to add that you are claiming that learning how to fight will lower your chances of survival in an attack on your person.

lolretardsarefunny
    Last edited by Blue Negation; 9/21/2006 11:17pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 3:40am

supporting member
     Style: Yoseikan Budo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah we've got a new Troll !

little fact :

1) if you only have 2 hours DO NOT teach any MA moves tell them how to avoid being in the wrong place

2) A triangle choke by a 100lb woman will do more than a stupid strike as their is NO WAY that a 100lb woman will have enough power to really hurt a 200lb man on the ground their something called leverage! And the ground is were the SEXUAL predator is going to take you so it make sense to defend from there.
    Martial Arts is like sex, if you over complicate it with exotic sounding names, theories and principles, you end up fucking yourself in the ass. -Ronin69

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 10:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok does the trinagle choke give you a 100% gurantee that you will get out of that situation. No alot of times it's doesn't have to go to the ground. In Fact nothing in the Martial Arts in a 100% gurantee to work. I think that people who teaches self defense needs to stress that and any school who teaches any type of martial arts is 100% garenteed. There is alot of times you can avoid situations and there is alot of times you can't but you teach average people just some simple tools to help get them by. These people don't want to take MA they just wants some tips and it doesn't hurt to teach people that. A triangle choke will take some time and training to learn. A 1st timer will not now how to react or what to do even if they learned it once. Self Defense classes I think should be just simple stuff, but you tell them its not always a 100%. If you want to learn hardcore stuff join a school.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast