Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456
  1. #51
    I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,492
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    I use my real name here, but Oliver evidently didn't pick up on that small detail. :)
    And here I thought you just picked the awesome forum handle "Samuel Browning" out of the blue. I thought your name would be Jenni Stevens or something, and you just admired the famous Jazz Musician (Those caps are for you, Dr. X) Samuel Browning.

    P.S: Mr. Olivier is a superlative redirecter of uncomfortable conversations, but if one keeps shaking one's head and focusing on kids with black belts, contracts, tiered martial arts, "life skills", etc. one gets through the gauntlet of obfuscation unscathed.

    I too can throw the big words around!
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

  2. #52
    ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM Bullshido Newbie
    Doctor X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,380
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    Did you miss the part where I don't think you're a martial artist? You're a marketing person. And from what I've seen a fairly good one. But not a martial artist.
    No! He is a Martial Artist.

    --J.D.

    P.S. Epicurus: You have done well, my son!
    Last edited by Doctor X; 2/05/2007 1:55am at .

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Posts
    499
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    For the record everybody, I think we should thank Stephen Oliver for coming on here and wasting our time. I'm glad that none of my initial views on him were misplaced. I was thinking that I was going to have to apologize to him.

    I agree, thanks stephen, and Omega you were correct, I apologize for ever doubting you... :chewy:

  4. #54
    Here's looking at you, squid. Join us... or die
    OnceLost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    2,860
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa
    I dont care if he tea-bagged you half to death in front of your old lady.
    Best line of the thread...

    Clearly you view UFC and the like to be the pinnacle of martial arts training.
    I don't think anyone views the UFC as 'training.' I think a large number of people here view the UFC as one of the more realistic testing grounds for fighters (should that be Fighters?) to prove themselves and their MA. If the rule in the style is that no one will 'test' the art, them claiming it's effective self defense is merely a statement of faith (or, perhaps, a sales pitch). Personally, I'm not going to risk my well-being (and that of my family) out of faith. That's like buying a car that the salesman SAYS is terribly safe when no one has done any crash tests on the thing...

    Is UFC good for the marketing of my schools?

    Generally I believe that it is not.
    I fixed that for you.
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    149
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr. Oliver I think you hate the UFC because it exposes that what you are teaching would be worthless in a real fight. A great many people who come to your school are probably there for self defense and if they knew you weren't providing what they are paying for they would leave.

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Posts
    81
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys might enjoy this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEn3TjWDjoE

  7. #57

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Posts
    81

  8. #58
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    8,869
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenOliver
    You are right I did enjoy that pile of theoretical crap . The second video was mighty long on words and short on action .

    Nothing in either video was worth mentioning or show casing .

    What exactly is your point ? If it was to draw attention to the LARPing and show how you can break anything down into smaller packets to sell and market , you succeeded .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

  9. #59
    Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option. supporting member
    datdamnmachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,718
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since you posted that video, what exactly was it meant to prove, answer, counter, etc?

Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO