Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 4:46pm

Style: kungfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin

A. I've seen my sifu tell people who have been there for much longer than a couple of months/years that they didn't need to worry about meeting tuition if they were in a financial bind. "Your kung-fu is more important." I wasn't talking about new students.
    I’ve also heard those exact same words also. “Your kung-fu is more important. We won’t let money get in the way.” My sifu said if we had money issues he would work with us. We could do physical work for him, like walking his dog. He would say, “We’ll find something for you to do.” But then you run into the risk of them providing the lessons that you haven’t paid for, so you therefore owe them something. I never took this route but others did, I don’t know any more about other than what I have stated.

B. Is the inner circle for your sifu or your sigung?
    My sifu is a member of the MY3 (3rd generation Moy Yat), which is sigung’s inner circle. I was a part of my sifu’s “inner circle.” They have a MY4 but I was not a member. It has to be official and you have to be asked to join, but nobody in my sifu’s from was in MY4 anyways so it doesn’t really matter. The inner circle I was in was my sifu’s. I was his “personal” student.

C. Were you planning to become a sifu? Why would you join the inner circle if you were new and not planning to teach? This seems very odd to me. You said it was a teacher's program. Why would you pay extra to be in it? (And heck, why your sifu would let you pay extra if you hadn't been in even a year I don't understand either)
    Yes. I wanted to become a sifu. At the time I thought I had found the perfect martial art and it was exactly what I wanted. I wanted to be good. I wanted to teach, because you become even better when you teach. You don’t fully know/ understand material unless you can teach it to someone (hopefully the knowledge is accurate).

There is a difference between a personal student and a regular student. I didn’t want to be just a regular student, who would? What’s the reason for the additional $600? -Because there is a difference in teaching. They teach the personal students more, the “hidden secrets.”

I don’t why my sifu let me become a personal student when I was there for less than a year. I would think something like that would take years, but my sifu said that I was disciplined and I went to class every time it was offered. Came early. Stayed late. I as very serious and interested in learning kungfu. Maybe I was let in early as an opportunity for my sifu to get some extra cash right then and there. The sooner I become a personal student the sooner I can make additional annual payments to my sifu.

My idea is that they did a poor job explained to me what exactly a personal student is and hopefully after they read this whole thread, they won’t let inexperienced 1 year students become a personal student. How long did Moy Yat have to study with Yip Man to become a “personal student”? 1 year? 2 years? 3?

D. You said that you had problems with your particular sifu. Do you think your experience within the family/style itself would have been different under a different sifu?
    The only reason I ended up with the sifu I did was because I showed up on a certain night of the week rather than a different night of the week. I never choose my sifu. He just became my sifu because he was the one working the shift when I called in about the Free introduction class.

No, I never saw any of the other sifu’s talking about the crap my sifu was talking. I actually learned more in chi sao from rolling hands with the other sifus. They would actually communicate with me on a level where I could understand what I needed to do, rather than just beating me. It was fine for conditioning, but when’s the last time I learned something new?

I never could trust my sifu. That was a problem. He was my kungfu guardian/ teacher/ friend and I couldn’t trust him. He did stupid things. I questioned his authority to myself and thought to myself “this is not right.”

E. How was the actual kung-fu? I know you said that you can't know because you've never been in a fight, but I find that to be extremely odd based on my own understanding and experience. I mean, I can tell a huge difference just when boxing around with friends. Yet you seem to think you have no clue because there are still people bigger and tougher than you out there. You said you thought your training was valuable, but don't know if it was any good? ? And this is after like a year and a half?
    I got in shape. I saw my body change. I saw my mind change. I have had previous MA experience. The way the techniques of WingChun were presented to me, led me to believe that I was learning very effective combat skills. Like I mentioned before, my sifu was good at chi sao (well better than me of course) but could he defend himself against another style? Who knows? Might just get his knife out and cut the guy.
    Going at this school built me a huge ego. I felt like I was learning the best martial art. I was superior to all other styles. Everyone there was like that. Sifu would feed us information which makes our egos grow. Our art is so precious. I am so lucky to be here. Wow. This is such a privilege for me to study kungfu. I paid money for a service. Maybe I couldn’t experience the “kungfu life” or what it means to be a personal student because my sifu was an idiot. Who would want to be a slave and support someone’s ideas that are stupid, irrational and ignorant? I disagreed with him tremendously.

F. What about the movie?
    Movie? You mean the pirated instructional DVD’s of Moy Yat? They were old Moy Yat footage that had been put on a computer and then burned to a DVD. The cover was a printed black and white photo with a different name for the video than the original name of the video. These DVD’s were put in front of me. $75-100. Did they have the right to distribute these videos? Does William Moy approve of this? DOES HE KNOW WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON? Ah…prosperity.

On the video note, yeah I saw one of the videos. Everyone acted like they were so amzing. Secret information (btw they are not sold on their website anymore. They are not for sale anywhere period.) was on these videos. You must be part of the family and very close to watch one. It is an honor to watch one of these videos. Well… I almost fell asleep watching the video! Terrible quality (due to the old tape not the material), couldn’t hear or understand what he was talking about. It’s something you need to sit down and watch over and over again. I am the type of person who would do that to. So I could completely understand the topics coverd. Review. Review. Review. But I was not given that opportunity.

I think the Richmond school should change everything to Moy Tung Ving Tsun instead of Moy Yat. They are just using his name. Who knows, maybe they send money up to NY so they can use the name. God…

G. Hmm... and maybe a few new things. If this happened "months" ago, why are you just looking for a new school now? Seems odd that you'd wait that long, and odd that you speak well enough of them that you seem to almost be advertising for those other clubs, yet you haven't signed up for them.
    I talked to my family and friends about this after it happened. I just found out that Bullshido existed a couple days ago. I thought it was just a website with videos. So when I found out there was a forum for all of this I decided to register and post. And I actually posted about this on another forum right after I left the school. I am not advertising for anyone else. There are more people that agree with some of my claims and I hope they will join in and post in this thread.

H. You said that nobody participated in any tournaments. Are you just speaking of students under your specific sifu?
    As far as I know, nobody under Moy Tung Anthony Dandridge has competed in fighting tournaments. BUT… I’ve heard some talk of them mixing their wing chun with MMA and then going to tournaments. Those people aren’t liked very much though. Evil.

I. You say that you had to become a "personal student" before you became part of the family. Huh? Why would someone in the middle of Detroit, who wasn't a "personal student" be part of the family if you weren't? This just all seems very different than my own experiences.

J. I guess I won't be seeing you at the 20th?

:kiss: Dagon Akujin
    I don’t know how Owen runs things over there. Maybe he is different. Why is everyone in the Detriot school supporting this Cradle of Filth goth/punk/ badass propaganda? It’s kind of silly.

Owen’s got one hell of a Dim Jerm though.

:kiss: lucky_money

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 4:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by calle_ocho
    Lucky_money that has got to be the most hilarious yet serious read I have done in a long time. I almost died when I read about the $50 chinese buffet, that guy went home with $400 that night. The other part was great when there was no power and lights after all that tuition money. The whole sportscar thing was great too. Was it at least a new sports car?

I noticed that most of the people bothering you about stuff are infact other Moy Yat people.

Cobra. Nothing more than suped up Mustang, which are a dime a dozen anyways.

No. Nobody is bothering me. They have the right to try to explain themselves.

Just too bad this one branch, or maybe just one sifu, makes all the apples look brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    High 5 Calle8!

I'll let lucky_money speak for himself whether he agrees or disagrees with this. If he thinks I'm bothering him by looking into what he asks, then I'll accept it.
    No Tom, actually I would appreciate it if you looked into things for me.

The “Moy Yat people” are lurking :5camoufla

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 5:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yesterday I registered on this sight to just post on your particular forum. I then printed it out for my friend. Now we only are able to see each other once a week to meet with some of our other friends, so I called him and read your original post. He laughed and said it was bringing back all those memories of the MY VT school.

Reading your posts bought back my memories of what he would tell me, we worked together for 5 years in two jobs. All of the things I would shake my head and think 'that ain't right'. The worse part was when we would get together and watch a martial art film and he would claim VT influenced that art on the screen.

My friend did compete in one local open tournament in the Richmond area (Chesterfield County) and took 3rd in sparring (beginner).

I am glad you managed to get out, unfortunatley you lost some $$.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 5:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten-ten
    Yesterday I registered on this sight to just post on your particular forum. I then printed it out for my friend. Now we only are able to see each other once a week to meet with some of our other friends, so I called him and read your original post. He laughed and said it was bringing back all those memories of the MY VT school.

Reading your posts bought back my memories of what he would tell me, we worked together for 5 years in two jobs. All of the things I would shake my head and think 'that ain't right'. The worse part was when we would get together and watch a martial art film and he would claim VT influenced that art on the screen.

My friend did compete in one local open tournament in the Richmond area (Chesterfield County) and took 3rd in sparring (beginner).

I am glad you managed to get out, unfortunatley you lost some $$.
    Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by lucky_money; 2/23/2006 5:37pm at .

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 5:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since the question of the marijuana plants lucky_money claims to have seen in his SiGung's closet came up, I looked his state laws up. I am not a lawyer, don't live in Virginia, and I found this on the internet. So, the usual disclaimers apply:

Possession
    Any amount (first offense) misdemeanor 30 days $500
    Any amount (subsequent offense) misdemeanor 1 year $2,500

Cultivation
    Any amount felony 5 - 30 years $10,000

Sale
    1/2 oz or less misdemeanor 1 year $2,500
    1/2 oz to 5 lbs felony 1 - 10 years $2,500
    5 lbs to 100 kg felony 5 - 30 years $2,500
    More than 100 kg felony 20 years minimum sentence $1,000,000

To a minor felony 10 - 50 years $100,000
    Within 1,000 feet of a school or other specified areas felony 1 - 5 years $100,000
    Transport 5 lbs or more into state with intent to sell felony 3 years minimum sentence 40 years $1,000,000

Paraphernalia sale misdemeanor 1 year $2,500
    Paraphernalia sale to a minor felony 1 - 5 years $2,500

Probation with deferred proceedings is possible for first offenders.
    Any marijuana conviction results in the suspension of ones drivers license for a period of six months.

A conviction for manufacturing marijuana must include proof that the marijuana was being grown for a purpose other than the grower’s personal use. (TK NOTE: proof can be the sheer amount being grown in many states - I don't know if this applies in VA)

VA licensed doctors can write a legal prescription for marijuana for medically necessary purposes.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 9:29pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the response lucky. I guess I'm sorry that your experience went so sour. Man.
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky_money
    ...nobody in my sifu’s from was in MY4 anyways so it doesn’t really matter. The inner circle I was in was my sifu’s. I was his “personal” student.

There is a difference between a personal student and a regular student. I didn’t want to be just a regular student, who would? What’s the reason for the additional $600? -Because there is a difference in teaching. They teach the personal students more, the “hidden secrets.”
    See, this to me seems very against my experience. There are no "secrets". Hiding things is bad kung-fu. Having you pay extra for things that should have been free...
    but my sifu said that I was disciplined and I went to class every time it was offered. Came early. Stayed late.... Maybe I was let in early as an opportunity for my sifu to get some extra cash...
    Again, ack. Not my experience. Coming early, staying late. Those should be the only requirements for getting the really solid, really good kung-fu.

Movie? You mean the pirated instructional DVD’s of Moy Yat?
    No. Maybe you left too long ago. No prob.

I’ve heard some talk of them mixing their wing chun with MMA and then going to tournaments. Those people aren’t liked very much though. Evil.
    Whoa. While we certainly don't push tournaments, but this is not my experience at all. Where is the legendary Vince Chang at when you need him? We don't push tournaments or challenges, but anytime stories of them are told they are told very positively.

I don’t know how Owen runs things over there. Maybe he is different. Why is everyone in the Detriot school supporting this Cradle of Filth goth/punk/ badass propaganda? It’s kind of silly.
    ? Now why'd you have to go and do that? Things were going civilized. And lots of the goth/punk kids like the band Cradle of Filth. But hey.

Owen’s got one hell of a Dim Jerm though.
    I'm glad that you got to work out with my sifu though. :happy7: Awesome.

Anyway, seriously, I feel bad for what you say you've gone through with the family. I know that VT isn't for everyone, but you seemed to have really liked it. And I think it's bad when things get in the way of good, dedicated kung-fu. Again, thanks for the response to my questions.

Dagon Akujin

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 11:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are a fucking moron. I give you a great deal of credit for being able to show this with your very first post here.

I count exactly one "moy yat person" here (whatever that means) who is even remotely "bothering" him about this stuff - if you could call it that. I'll give you a hint: It's not me.

I'll let lucky_money speak for himself whether he agrees or disagrees with this. If he thinks I'm bothering him by looking into what he asks, then I'll acccept it.

Your right Tom I meant to say "moy Tung person".
    Last edited by calle_ocho; 2/23/2006 11:39pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 11:38pm

Style: Hei Long Gong Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since the question of the marijuana plants lucky_money claims to have seen in his SiGung's closet came up, I looked his state laws up. I am not a lawyer, don't live in Virginia, and I found this on the internet. So, the usual disclaimers apply:
    What I like about China:

1: When I say I do Gong Fu people light up.
    2: I'm treated like a celebrity because I have blue eyes.
    3: Chinese girls.
    4: Marijhuana grows wild and nobody even knows what it is! I had my pockets stuffed full of fresh bud and walked past three cops secure in the knowlege that they wouldn't have a clue what it was.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 12:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is what happens when money isn’t managed well and people start lawsuits because of unprofessional business conduct. This is an email I received from Moy Tung Anthony Dandridge’s inner students which can also be downloaded here:

http://www.upload2.com/?cmd=_viewer&...9c.doc&s=fb9cb

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 12:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And these are the kinds of stories he feeds to people to make others take his side, particularly his students showing up in court to support him. Here is an unofficial lawsuit document (MS Word File) sent to all members which can be downloaded here:

http://www.upload2.com/?cmd=_viewer&...ea.doc&s=0d35a
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast