Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 8:17pm

Style: BJJ, MT, KF

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    This would be classified as a gift and would be subject to the exemption limit ($12,000 per gift per donar in 2006). Additionally, you may not realize this, but THE DONAR is responsible for paying any gift taxes unless prior agreement is made with the donee.

Now, if this is really a form of income regardless of how the "gift" is intended (or wrapped) by the donar and/or donee, then yes, it could be considered tax evasion, but only if the donee does not declare the income. Just because payment is made in cash doesn't mean it's "off-record". To determine if such a game were played, a person would would have to examine any quarterly/yearly income IRS returns of the recipient and/or related corporate entities. Of course, cash can make it easier to play the shell game.
    I am a CPA, and thats what I thought too. How can you say that someone is avoiding tax when you have not even seen his tax return? Just because he was receiving cash doesn't mean he didn't report it. I don't think an IRS auditor can say something like that. I would watch what I say about stuff like this.......sounds like the poster was more angry at his school for personal reasons that anything else. The school sounds pretty honest about their fees and what they teach.

The monthly fee doesn't sound too bad for 4-5 days training, most boxing gym in my area charge about $120 to $150. Luck Money was meant as a gift, just like birthdate gifts etc. If you don't want or care to learn someone's culture first before relating yourself to their family, then the cultural differences can really affect your experience and enjoyment of learning a Chinese art. This can apply to anything in life, you don't want to marry a black girl without learning their family values first, or at least respect their way of life, or you'd have a really unhappy marriage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 8:39pm

Style: Hei Long Gong Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    You're confusing the difference between Canto and Mandarin.

Sorry, I don't speak Cantonese at all. I'm a putonghua guy... Could come from the fact that I live in the north where they say: Thank you but four tones is enough.
    Last edited by Simon McNeil; 2/22/2006 8:41pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 8:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    You're confusing the difference between Canto and Mandarin.

Cantonese MA teachers are called sifu for a reason.

師父 are the characters for the term pronounced sifu in Canto.

師 means master/instructor.

父 means father.

This fits in with the "family" style set up of many Southern CMA orgs, with the master's wife often being called simo, older male students called sihing, etc...

So yeah, your whole rant on Laoshe doesn't even apply...
    Sorry, but the other guy was right. Sifu doesn't have to be kung fu related. My father is a tailor, his students call him Sifu. Sifu means any person teaching a skill.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 8:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky_money
    Yes, those who teach in parks and donít really advertise are typically good people because they relie on word of mouth for students. Most of them arenít really searching for students. If they didnít have students they would still be in the park just practicing by themselves.
    Aren't that the fucking truth. Thats the way it should be!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 8:43pm

Style: Hei Long Gong Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And if this is all in Putonghua than this is true.

If it's Cantonese... well Cantonese is as simmilar to Putonghua as English is to French... they use the same alphabet and have a linked history, that's about it.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 9:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. Did one of our ppl go over there and do that? Also, you realize if they come over here they will see your name and stuff right? Might want to edit out those parts which might invite a lawsuit...

The BJJ school near us that sifu was talking about was www.richmondbjj.com Ė a good school. I have spoken to the owner of that school- Eric Burdo.
    Looks fantastic to me. How much do they charge?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 9:04pm

Style: kungfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage

Looks fantastic to me. How much do they charge?
    ... Prices are on the site.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 9:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen15
    I am a CPA, and thats what I thought too. How can you say that someone is avoiding tax when you have not even seen his tax return? Just because he was receiving cash doesn't mean he didn't report it. I don't think an IRS auditor can say something like that. I would watch what I say about stuff like this.......sounds like the poster was more angry at his school for personal reasons that anything else. The school sounds pretty honest about their fees and what they teach.

The monthly fee doesn't sound too bad for 4-5 days training, most boxing gym in my area charge about $120 to $150. Luck Money was meant as a gift, just like birthdate gifts etc. If you don't want or care to learn someone's culture first before relating yourself to their family, then the cultural differences can really affect your experience and enjoyment of learning a Chinese art. This can apply to anything in life, you don't want to marry a black girl without learning their family values first, or at least respect their way of life, or you'd have a really unhappy marriage.
    Stating you are a CPA, then stating you "don't think an IRS auditor can say something like that" does not sit right with me. When it comes to the tax code and tax court, in many ways it is up to the individual to PROVE they do not owe more taxes, not the other way around.

Additionally, a significant issue is whether unfair or unscrupulous practices are in play here. Hidden fees, no matter how small, are not indicative of good professional business standards.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I think it would be wise to give your CPA credentials and also your area of expertise if you want your schooling and/or professional life experience to hold more weight - at least with me. I rely on my accountants to provide me quality advice for myself and my business with regard to nuances such as what I've expressed in the above two paragraphs. While you may have been speaking off the cuff, your post did not show - to me at least - your grasp of the subtleties of such business savvy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 10:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Stating you are a CPA, then stating you "don't think an IRS auditor can say something like that" does not sit right with me. When it comes to the tax code and tax court, in many ways it is up to the individual to PROVE they do not owe more taxes, not the other way around.

Additionally, a significant issue is whether unfair or unscrupulous practices are in play here. Hidden fees, no matter how small, are not indicative of good professional business standards.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I think it would be wise to give your CPA credentials and also your area of expertise if you want your schooling and/or professional life experience to hold more weight - at least with me. I rely on my accountants to provide me quality advice for myself and my business with regard to nuances such as what I've expressed in the above two paragraphs. While you may have been speaking off the cuff, your post did not show - to me at least - your grasp of the subtleties of such business savvy.
    Do you have some ego issue or something? Wow, I can't believe you made such a big deal just because I mentioned that I am a CPA. Get a life. I don't have to prove my CPA credentials in a Martial Arts board. Are you fucking kidding me? Who do you think you are, a client?

And you went on and on about your "business" experience etc etc. Talk above having ego issues........gee.

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 11:57pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lucky,

My timinig turns out to be great, I just now did a search for "Eric Burdo" and found this thread. My questions for you are pretty simple. When did you contact Eric Burdo? Did the school seem to be operating normally?

I observed both a Muay Thai class and a BJJ class there several months ago and was impressed, but have had to devote myself to physical therapy in the meantime prior to starting training (hence this being my first post despite how long I've been registered). I emailed him on the 9th to catch up and maybe make an appointment with him, and called on the 17th since I hadn't received a response. To date, I've heard nothing from Eric. This seems odd to me since Eric, and everyone else at the school, was very friendly and helpful.

Sorry to detract from the focus of the thread, but seeing the school mentioned for what I think is the first time on the site compelled me to ask. I'm glad you got out of that downward spiral, maybe I'll see you around in the next few months.
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast