Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 10:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree. I have had to give red envelopes at weddings, but never heard of it being used in this way - it does sound dubious and, on the face of it, sound like grounds for lucky's claim of tax evasion since it is essentially off-record(?) earnings, albeit on a petty level.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 10:19am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kickcatcher
    I agree. I have had to give red envelopes at weddings, but never heard of it being used in this way - it does sound dubious and, on the face of it, sound like grounds for lucky's claim of tax evasion since it is essentially off-record(?) earnings, albeit on a petty level.
    This would be classified as a gift and would be subject to the exemption limit ($12,000 per gift per donar in 2006). Additionally, you may not realize this, but THE DONAR is responsible for paying any gift taxes unless prior agreement is made with the donee.

Now, if this is really a form of income regardless of how the "gift" is intended (or wrapped) by the donar and/or donee, then yes, it could be considered tax evasion, but only if the donee does not declare the income. Just because payment is made in cash doesn't mean it's "off-record". To determine if such a game were played, a person would would have to examine any quarterly/yearly income IRS returns of the recipient and/or related corporate entities. Of course, cash can make it easier to play the shell game.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 10:37am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My knowledge of US taxation is too limited so I should STFP. But I wasn't saying it was evidence of tax fraud, just that it might be indicitive of it.

just die already.

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 10:46am

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moy Yat Ving Tsun Richmond

What do you know, they have a forum too....

Is this the branch you went to?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 11:24am

Style: Hei Long Gong Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked at a grand total of one thread in their forum. It said this:

Quote Originally Posted by yet more idiocy in an online martial arts forum
    Same issue brought up in another Forum.

Can a Martial Art be taught and learned from a DVD or Tape? Before you laugh and respond with some type of pointed remark, I want you to listen and be open. Go to any place that sell magazines...Books-a-million, Waldens, Wal-Mart, local news stand, drug store, grocery store. Buy the magazine and look at the very back of the book. The last 2 to 3 pages. What do you see. EXACTLY - you will find page after page of instruction dvd, how-to tapes, and instructional manuals and everything else you need to make yourself in a Kung Fu Guy (sorry KungFuGuy for using your name).

Some believe it can work and some don't. But be willing to examine this. If you do so (produce these) and you know that it does now work like that, are now not in some way selling the kung fu out. Shocked

Shocking huh...but think, why would I sell you a bag full of nothing. Because I know that you will buy it and I also know that you can do nothing with it. Isn't this the real reason for doing so? The money generated in sales. Most any and all will tell you that you cannot really be taught a thing from a video series of martial arts. You must be in the active business of training to "catch" anything. Video will at it's best only subsidize the teaching you have already received.

But there are some out there that will tell you that they learned quite a bit from dvd and video just like the ones in the back of the magazines. More than enough to work on and understand. So where is the line drawn.

Respond if possible and give up your position on this issue and I saw it in another Forums. Happy Reading...
    :5no:
    :eusa_wall :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 11:52am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no, their bpxing thread is funnier: http://moyyatrichmond.com/v-web/bull...er=asc&start=0
    Well trained boxers may have a chance, but I cannot see an average boxer or a person with some rec. league boxing experience having a good shot at a trained VT practitioneer.
    And my fav...
    However, Boxers are not trained to be hit in places not protected by equipment or not "legal" in the sport (i.e. eyes, throat etc.)

just die already.

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 12:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lucky_money,

At any time at this school...did you actually try fighting w/ what they were teaching you, or did you just accept thier word as gospel?

Just curious if the training was bullshit, or just the business aspect of the school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 12:04pm

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The response was pretty good, though:
    Boxers don't fight professionally with head gear and there is no rule in boxing precluding a shot to the eyes or throat . A good boxer will keep his chin tucked as a matter of course to seal off that possibility as well as to protect his jaw.
    I think people here have a bad habit of going to other message boards, only picking out awful posts, and condemning the whole board. If someone were to selectively pick and choose posts here they could make Bullshido look fucking retarded as well.

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 12:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My best friend trained at that school the same time I started TKD. After a while he started telling me things about the instructor that never seemed right. He left after he read an article about martial art cults in a TKD magazine. He found another school that gave him better instruction and a better atmosphere.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 1:48pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Jesus, dragon, how can you support that crap? That stuff is a holdover from before schools were openly commercial enterprises. That stuff needs to go.
    Whao, wait. I wasn't supporting all the crap. If Lucky was feeling pressured, and if his sifu regularly was pressing people to give extra, then that goes against my experiences with the family. I've been told that it's not a requirement for anything. I've been told that it's a nice idea, and tied to chinese culture though. I was even told by my sifu that since American culture doesn't deal with them, but instead deals with tuition, that tuition was all you should really feel you owe.

And as Shard pointed out, the amount of money is not important if something actually is given. I've also never done it. To sum up, I don't think "red envelopes" are necessarily bad, and I am concerned with how they seem to have been presented to Lucky. And Johnny, I thought I was being rational here. :love5:

Quote Originally Posted by Is It Fake??
    C'mon Johnny you know this is typical TCMA. He is freaking out because it is public.
    Am I freaking out? Was I freaking out in my post? I thought I was being rational! Really, where was I freaking out?!? :love5:

I just thought I was trying to get to the meat of his complaint, which seems to be, possibly, a sifu who is trying too hard to get money, to the detriment of his students (or at least that student). This is very, very against my experience. Hell, when people are having trouble at my school, my sifu tells them not to worry about it and that their kung-fu is more important than money. Selfish kung-fu is bad kung-fu. And my sifu is NOT in the position to be telling people not to worry about paying tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon McNeil
    That and we wouldn't call them dad, uncle or grandpa as would have been done two generations ago in China.
    I thought that sifu still had a connection still to father though. Maybe more connotation than denotation (as if Chinese really has such thing as denotation). :icon_smil

Hmm... Other than that... I guess we're all just waiting for Lucky to come back and shed some light on things.

:hello:

Dagon
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast