Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 1:34am

Style: Sheng Hun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Grand Celestial Do - New Cult?

So reading over the GCD website brought about some really interesting thoughts going through my brain. The ideas of photonic energy and whatnot are ridiculous to say the least, but it did inspire an interesting hour and a half of research on my part. Basically, in my High School Sociology class, we watched a movie on cults. The cult called "Supreme Truth," or "Aum Shinrikyo" was a prevelent one in Japanese culture in the early 90's. Throughout the course of this movie, we watched some of the things they practiced, including "Out of body" experiences brought on through oxygen depravation to the brain and rapid, yogic-breathing. Here's a quote from an Apologetics Research Resources article on "Supreme Truth."

Above all, they could repeatedly experience altered states of consciousness, what in Aum were known as "mystical experiences." These too had a characteristic pattern: light-headedness followed by a sense of the mind leaving the body, the appearance of white or colored lights, and sometimes images either of the Buddha or of the guru.

Such altered states resulted from intense forms of religious practice - especially from the oxygen deprivation brought about by yogic rapid-breathing exercises - and, later on, from the use of drugs like LSD.
    I really, REALLY wish I could find the video that I saw in my Sociology class, but i'll have to settle for trying to describe it to you; basically, the people would bend over and breath very rapidly for an extended period of time before they would outstretch their arms towards the sky - rapid yogic breathing. According to the article and the movie, this would cause out of body experiences. Now, when I thought logically about it... there's something about Grand Celestial Do that keeps people coming back - photonic energy? Telekinesis? We all know that that's a load of crap, but PEOPLE STILL DO IT. Why?

Let's mosey on over to the GCD website; more specifically, the news article therein. A quote from said news article, written by the reporter that attended a GCD seminar:

For the next hour, Salusbury leads the class on a rather bizarre meditative exercise where the class does all sorts of circular body movements while making all sorts of ear-wrenching moans and screams that had me wanting to dial 911 because I was sure some of them were suffering from an aneurism. Every two minutes, the class members would raise their arms and look up to the ceiling as to draw power from somewhere in the sky.
    Ladies and gentlemen, am I crazy, or is there a connection? Is this some garden variety yoga exercise that's killing people's (possibly already damaged) brain cells and causing them to think they're tapping in to some cosmic power?

The reason I did this is because I think there's a connection, and i'm hoping to try and unearth some of the fraud that is, indeed, Grand Celestial Do. Thoughts?

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 1:39am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there's nothing new about this cult

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 1:48am

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    there's nothing new about this cult
    Uhhh, I think he meant GCD is a cult and GCD is new. Think, McFly. :5zombie:

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 1:48am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...rand+Celestial

Right corner has a search button.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 1:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't post it in any of the previous GCD topics because I was under the impression that what I was presenting is relatively new. I know how to use the search function, thanks.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 2:07am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amkreet
    I didn't post it in any of the previous GCD topics because I was under the impression that what I was presenting is relatively new. I know how to use the search function, thanks.
    If you knew that, then you should also know that admin prefers if you don't start a new thread if there is already an existing one. If it's related to the same subject, don't start a new thread, just add onto the current thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 2:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok... I see the logic there... Sorry >.>

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 9:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    maybe they are trying to take over the world?
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 11:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kickcatcher
    maybe they are trying to take over the world?
    May be drastic, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some nerve gas on a Subway soon.

"THE ALIENS MADE US!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 1:22pm

Style: Baguazhang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish we had a former member on this board. The GCD group looks strange enough on the outside, I'd like to hear what really is going on.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast