Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 12:54am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rocky Marciano Question

Ok, im in year 11 at highschool, and i have to do a Modern History project on something that 'intrests me', though it has to be 'controversial' in a sense.

So i thought, well, i dont want to do Hitler or Stalin or Ceausescu or some other mundane crap pretty much very other student will do. Why not find something i might actually enjoy?

well i read somewhere, or heard from someone, that Rocky Marciano, known for his great record of 40 something fights won by KO (bear with me for anything incorrect, i havent yet researched the topic properly) actually did have 'belmishes' on his record, under a different name and in his amatuer career (before he went to the army) and he lost quite a few fights, and was regarded as a 'tomato can' by many boxers at the time.

I figured if anyone can verify this, perhaps give me some insight, it would probly be someone on bullshido.

thanks heaps

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 3:29am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do it about Ali, and dodging the draft.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 6:56am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there was a movie made about 5 years ago on Rocky M , it appearred in the movie he won no am fights, and didn't really start to train until he turned pro. I do know he was regarded as a small for a heavywieght but a tough exciting fighter to watch.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 7:49am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Marciano

Not sure about the amateur record. Contact "The Ring" magazine and get in touch with someone in archives (I have called there before, they are quite accomodating). They will be able to help you.
    Marciano's life outside the ring was a tad bizarre as well. Apparently he was a bit of an eccentric miser and used to stash money in weird places, like drain pipes in old buildings he owned. His family thinks he went to his grave with thousands of dollars unaccounted for that may have been stashed in various places he never told anyone about.
    There are lots of Marciano websites out there. Spend some time doing Yahoo searches and you will find out most of what you need to know.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 8:27am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree, the Ring would be your best bet. I heard similiar things but from the few places I found them, it's apparently unverified as of yet. Ali might definitely be your better choice though, it's a lot more controversial.

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 8:56am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somehow I don't think that's too controversial. If you really want controversy, do a paper on why the WNBA sucks ass and is a misguided attempt to apply political correctness to sports as nobody watches it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 3:28am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, thanks heaps for everything everyone. I think i will do it on Ali dodging getting drafted, he's a whole lot easier to find good information on, and like one of you pointed out, that story is proborably alot more controversial too.
    Thanks again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 9:14am

Style: Mizong Quan, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just remember:

Every time you want to talk about Rocky Marciano, some white boy is gonna pull Joe Louis out his a$$.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 11:59am

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I rented a book (can't remember the name) from the library that covered the history of boxing. Very interesting read.

It says pretty much that Marciano never won an amateur fight. And didn't start training until he turned pro. He trained on a custom made 300lb heavy bag, which explains why he hit so hard.

Other "controversial" boxers were:

Muhammad Ali
    Sonny Liston
    Jake LaMotta
    and of course...Mike Tyson

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 12:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!