Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2006 7:03pm

Style: Xing yi-iron hand-shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

need help on decision

Hey everyone, im kinda new to the forums and I have a question. I need help on deciding something, but have noone to ask. Ok, here goes.... There's not alot of martial arts schools around where I live, mostly TKD schools. I've been enrolled in tae kwon do for a long time now. I'm starting to get bored with it and realizing it's not something I want to do anymore. My contracts going to end soon also. I want to take kung fu, and now that I have a means of transportation, and that I'm willing to drive far enough to go there, I'm wondering if I should quit tae kwon do and join hte Kung Fu school. There's also a few more things I'm keeping in mind. In a couple years im going to start college soon and move away.(I don't want to start it then leave without getting anywhere) If I keep with TKD, by the end of those two years that I'm still going to be here, I should gain my second degree belt. To recap, here are my choices, stay with TKD and get another rank higher, or leave and join Kung fu and do what I really want to. Also, I'm not saying that I'm in martial arts just for that ranks, It's not like that, I do it because I actually want to. Whoever can give their opinion, Thanks.
    Last edited by DropThaBomb; 2/21/2006 7:05pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2006 7:09pm

Style: He Shan Shen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go with your heart and try kung fu. How much does another black belt mean?
    I'm sure at college you'll find another club you like.
    Good luck!

software engineer

Posted On:
    2/21/2006 7:09pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Explain what you think you'll be getting out of Kungfu, what you think the KF school will be like, and what you think KF is, style/training wise.

I just want to make sure you don't have any dangerous misconceptions.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    2/21/2006 7:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firstly welcome to Bullshido.com.

If your fed up with Tae kwon do then I say leave. You've been doing it for a while, years now, yes ? So technically you have already learnt all the moves the art has to offer. I would suggest another martial art.

Be careful about any Kung fu school. I'm not gonna put **** on Kung fu, but there are many kung fu schools out there which do not do any sparring and teach techniques which, well.... are not that realistic.

Real martial arts should make you sweat and bleed.
    Whatever you do make sure they have hard training and hard contact sparring. If a dojo has those two elements it should be okay.
    As a rule of thumb your styles which turn out your better quality fighters are:
    Muay Thai/kickboxing, boxing, Kyokushin (other full contact karate styles) Judo,Bjj,wrestling,sambo, San Shou.

Now thats a step in the right direction. Pick one of those and you can't go wrong. But don't just join up straight away. Talk to the instructor,see how they train, are they nice or just assholes who want to make money only.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2006 11:05pm

Style: Xing yi-iron hand-shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the help, and nice geese pic hannibal, I use him alot in cvs!
    Anyway,as for meng_mao's question, I think I'll get more out of kung fu than TKD training wise. I'm almost positive the school I would plan on going to would train me harder and make me sweat more and such. http://ctmaa.com/ This is a link for info on the school, Tell me what you think about it. Plus, I've also wanted to learn Hsing Yi(The style they teach). As for Hannibal, thanks for the support. Muay Thai would be ideal in my opinion. Infact, last time my contract for TKD ended(before I signed another), there was a muay thai place around. I took the introductory class and it was actually a great place. At that time though, I didn't really have sure transportation there. Well, now that I do, It's just my luck that the place closed down.....Guess it wasn't meant to be. As for that other styles, there is NO place around here that teaches those. There's only ....Akido,Taekwondo,shotokan karate, and a kung fu place. Not a real range of places. heh, I would do shotokan, but A. I know nothing about how it differs from other styles of karate and B. It'd really be to close to taekwondo for me (I think) I have thought about the akido place, but I want more strength and endurance training than akido has to offer. That only leaves that kung fu place my only choice left. My only real hesitation is starting it and then BANG, there goes 2 years and thats where it ends for that school. Anyway, feedback is always appriciated.
    Thanks-

Genius

Posted On:
    2/21/2006 11:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** TKD and Kung Fu. GO train in something of value, like Muay Thai and BJJ.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    2/21/2006 11:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Tahiboxerken.

Okay Dropthabomb. Hers's a hint. Use paragraphs when you post comments. It makes what you are saying easier to read.

So your options are Tae kwon do, Shotokan karate, Aikido and Kung Fu.

Your choices are not good. If you've done TKD for many years, don't bother with Shotokan karate. Similar stuff really and I doubt you'll learn anything new. If its karate you want look for Kyokushin or something similar. Aikido you should just forget if you want hard fight training and kung fu is much the same. Personally I would not select any of those options.

Look harder. There must be a good Judo club or boxing school somewhere.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2006 11:27pm

Style: He Shan Shen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Real healthy attitude there Thaiboxerken.

DropThaBomb, in my experience Daoist martial arts don't make one sweat too much. If you're looking for a complete workout -- maybe then Thaiboxerken's suggestion of Muay Thai makes more sense.

Although Thaiboxerken cannot express himself all that well, he does have a point. Most schools of kung fu are a little 'bullshido'. Be careful if in the first class they try to teach dim mak (pressure point striking), overly complex stances, kicks, etc.. a good kung fu school will always first make you master the basics such as straight punch in horse stance. This is meant to lay a foundation so that when you begin forms you will have the leg strength necessary to have stable, low, long stances.

But in the end it really all depends on the instructor. Check out your options, and go with the instructor that is the most demanding and experienced.

Good luck

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    2/21/2006 11:32pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judging from the website, the school is total ****. A guy flying off like that? Please. Don't be fooled. Go take boxing or Judo if you can't find any Muay Thai, MMA, BJJ, or Kickboxing. Judo and boxing are EVERYWHERE, just look around.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2006 11:40pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea, it;s hard to respect a school with a front page picture like that. Why don't more webmasters and web-site designers take Martial Arts?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast