Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 3:36pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miguksaram
    Sounds good. Now do we do a rough overview when dealing with those types of FAQ's or get deep into detail?
    I think starting with a rough overview will give us an idea of what needs to be researched and developed upon. A paragraph that answers a frequently asked question ends in a link to an article on the subject that has more detail.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 3:37pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miguksaram
    Yes, that is it. I bought some on my way home from Korea for my mom's 40th b-day. I thought it would be the same as regular. I had a taste of it and nearly puked my guts out. Some lady at my mom's party who that she was all that decided not to listen to my warning about sipping it instead of shooting it. No sooner did it hit the back of her throat, it was being spat out along with her dinner.
    Well, knowing my stupid ass, I'll probably end up trying it at some point just to say I did. Whatever.

Heh.

How convenient::XXpuke:

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 7:08pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Budo references

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bernius
    Good refs. Especially Miguk who is a frickin' treasure trove of Korean info.

My stuff is primarily falls into two categories: subcultures and cultural bleed in MA and Martial Arts Culture's role in the rise of Modern Nationalism/National Identity. Still in the fact finding stages in both areas.

- Matt
    G'day Matt,

I noted your post with interest. Here are a few references that I have drawn on recently, which discuss things like: budo and bushido, the relationship between national identity and the martial arts, and issues surrounding the movement of budo to the West (mostly with a Japanese emphasis). From memory, the Tan and Chan articles make interesting complementary points. Hope this is useful.

Cheers,

Damon

G. Cameron Hurst III, ‘Death, Honour and Loyalty: The Bushido Ideal’, Philosophy East and West 40 4 (1990): 511-527.
    Keven S.Y. Tan, ‘Constructing a Martial Tradition: Rethinking a Popular History of Karate-Dou’, Journal of Sport & Social Issues 28 2 (2004): 169-192.
    Inoue Shun, ‘The Invention of the Martial Arts: Kano Jigoro and Kodokan Judo’, in Mirror of Modernity: Invented Traditions of Modern Japan, ed. Stephen Vlastos (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1998), pp.163-173; John J. Donohue, Warrior Dreams: The Martial Arts and the American Imagination (Westport: Bergin and Garvey, 1994).
    Karl Friday with Seki Humitake, Legacies of the Sword: The Kashima-Shinru and Samurai Martial Culture (Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1997).
    Stephen Chan, ‘The Construction and Export of Culture as Artefact: The Case of Japanese Martial Arts’, Body and Society 6 1 (2000).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 9:17pm

Style: Taekwondo, Kumdo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi there,

let me introduce as another wanna-be MA scientist. I am practicing martial arts for more than 16 years, but it was not before last year that my interest in the historical questions awoke. So I spent most of my leisure time last year to study the History of martial arts, especially of Korean MA, since I'm living and working in Korea for nearly 4 years now.

As with the other Mr. Ausländer here, I found this forum when I searched for different historical online information. Since then I studied the history project section very often and am very thankful for miguk for a lot of insight I gained.

This year I grabbed the opportunity to sign myself into the graduate programme at the Korean National Sport University where I now officially study the history of sport in general, with my special interest still focused on (not only Korean) martial arts. I hope that I can give something of that back what I received.

Right now I have to specify my dissertation project. I am thinking about some research about the question if sport in general (and combat sport especially) was historically developed for the means of war, i.e. to train soldiers more effectively (as it is claimed e.g. by Michael Poliakoff, "Combat Sports in the Ancient World"), or if it emerged in times of (relative) peace (where you have some leisure time) and serve to stabilize that peace. For this I am actually looking for references, both for the sports development in Europe and in (Eastern) Asia. If you know of some ass-kicking references, please let me know.

See you later

BB.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345