Posted On:
    2/19/2006 7:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sound Off: Academic Martial Arts Researchers

Hey,

In a different thread Samurai Steve mentioned that he's persuing an academic study of the martial arts. Likewise, I've been working on some anthropological/cultural history work.

Basically, I was wondering who on Bullshido is conducting academic research in the martial arts (especially since I'm always looking for people to compare notes with). If you're doing work, or thinking about it, can you post some info here. That way we might be able to get some cross pollenation going (and possible share research resources).

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Posted On:
    2/19/2006 8:47pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    M.C. Busman pops in now and then. And Miguk's still around. He's done a ton of good work here.

I'm not sure who's done academic-specific work, but I would love for us to feature anything you guys came up with.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2006 9:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good refs. Especially Miguk who is a frickin' treasure trove of Korean info.

My stuff is primarily falls into two categories: subcultures and cultural bleed in MA and Martial Arts Culture's role in the rise of Modern Nationalism/National Identity. Still in the fact finding stages in both areas.

- Matt
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 1:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bernius
    Good refs. Especially Miguk who is a frickin' treasure trove of Korean info.

My stuff is primarily falls into two categories: subcultures and cultural bleed in MA and Martial Arts Culture's role in the rise of Modern Nationalism/National Identity. Still in the fact finding stages in both areas.

- Matt
    A lot of the information that I have dealt with comparison study between Korean history and MA history. Not to mention that working with some people on TKD.net has been a God send. The Glenn Uesegi is a well of information. Plus I have also been lucky to get first hand accounts from my wife's uncle who was 2nd or 3rd generation underneath the Jidokwan founders.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 1:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miguksaram
    A lot of the information that I have dealt with comparison study between Korean history and MA history.
    I really need to talk with you about that. I've been interested at looking at Judo, TKD, and Wu Shu and their respective roles in the establishment of their respective nation's modern nationalist identity and tieing that all into the Olympics.

- Matt
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 5:08pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might want to check out Andrew Morris' "Marrow of the Nation: A History of Sport and Physical Culture in Republican China" for the Chinese side. For judo, well, I'm sure you're already looking into Kano. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the effects of the post-Kano militant nationalism and then WWII, and then the "budo ban." I wonder if the temporary school ban helped place a larger emphasis on the sport side, maybe eventually making it more acceptable as a sport?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 5:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have Morris's dissertation on my harddrive. And a few of his articles. Kevin Caffrey at the University of Chicago tipped me off to him.

Right now I'm looking at the influence of the Muscular Christian movement on Kano and the development of Judo. What interests me a bit about Judo is how it became (ignoring Sumo for the moment) the "national art" of Japan (its inclusion in the Olympics is key to me).

I think the school ban had a bit to do with it. I'm a bit curious about the role of USMC "Judo" on its development and how it was handled during the ban.

- Matt
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 2:15pm

Style: FiFiFu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your research veers into JMA, then I would think there would be no better person to acquaint with than Prof. Karl Friday of UGeorgia, who is an acknowledged authority on Japanese history, Koryu bujutsu and his own ryuha (he has a teaching certificate from this koryu kenjutsu ryuha). In fact, he has writeen a very engaging book on his ryuha, which most koryu enthusiasts on the both sides of the Pacific recommend highly.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 2:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bernius
    I have Morris's dissertation on my harddrive. And a few of his articles. Kevin Caffrey at the University of Chicago tipped me off to him.

Right now I'm looking at the influence of the Muscular Christian movement on Kano and the development of Judo. What interests me a bit about Judo is how it became (ignoring Sumo for the moment) the "national art" of Japan (its inclusion in the Olympics is key to me).

- Matt
    Matt,

have you read Dakin Burdick's thesis, "The American Way of Fighting"? The first four chapters might be of interest re. Muscular Christianity, judo, etc.

As an aside, I have a theory that some of the original field testing of Kodokan Judo/Jiudo/Kano-ryu Jiujitsu/etc. as a competitive sport actually happened in England, via the experience of Yukio Tani and Sadekazu Uyenishi as music-hall wrestlers. They had been sent to London to teach at E.W. Barton-Wright's Bartitsu Club under the auspices of the Kodokan, and their books follow the Kodokan's reformist agenda of Jiudo as a "manly sport" suitable for inclusion in physical education curricula. This may have one of the events that led to their splitting with Barton-Wright, as he was more interested in street self defense applications than in sport; either way, their success in competition paved the way for the widespread popularity of sport judo in Europe during the 20th century.

You should also talk to EJMAS editor Joe Svinth re. the influence of the Muscular Christian philosophy on Kano's pedagogy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 2:51pm

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DdlR, do you know any good source in english about Savate´s history prior to WWI? I´m doing a bit of research on Savate in Czarist Russia and Finland.

Sorry to hijack thread.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast