233611 Bullies, 3909 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 182425262728 2930313238 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 9:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would it be any use reporting that article for being biased and possibly libellous?

It's pretty certain Hargrave wrote it himself, the contact email is from a domain he owns... although it's nice to see him use a spellchecker for once.

Chin up Joe, he's obviously on the ropes, or he wouldn't be lashing out like this.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/26/2010 11:04am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a pathetic article.

Posted On:
    10/26/2010 12:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Extraordinarily poorly written article. If it actually comes from a legitimate reporter, they should be fired immediately and sent back to secondary school to learn proper grammar and punctuation.

As to the content: I am not familiar with the laws of Oklahoma or Alabama or wherever this guy is, but can tell you that 1) truth is an absolute defense; 2) opinions clearly stated as such cannot be deemed libel. So, on Bullshido you have mods doing a good job stopping people from stating "facts" absent evidence and those facts that are stated are well supported by a paper trail.

I wouldn't sweat it.

Edit: also, the above question about the faux-article being libelous might have some traction assuming he lied about you being arrested on a drug charge; being terminated for internet use at work; etc. Those are pretty clearly malicious statements aimed at damaging specific persons.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/26/2010 12:59pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt free-press-release.com has very high standards for the "articles" they "publish".

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/26/2010 2:10pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    I doubt free-press-release.com has very high standards for the "articles" they "publish".
    Oh yes, they came up in another MABS thread. Basically, they are an un-sourced website, IMO, that lets people publish anything they want with no accountability.

Posted On:
    10/26/2010 4:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post

For some reason I thought that this was an actual newspaper article. The fact that it's just some stupid press release website creates problems with the "publication" element of a libel case, in my opinion. If he actually distributes or posts it somewhere, then that's a different story entirely.

Anyhow, sorry to derail the thread with talk of legal elements.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2010 8:06pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Warning - long post ahead

The Facts

I first contacted Carter by his website, informing him of the article and inviting his response.

Carter,

As you probably know, there was a thread about you on Bullshido back in 2006.

This thread has once again reared it's ugly head.

Do you care to join in and post your actual qualifications / training history?

Joe
    First response was to send the below email. Obviously to get my name and contact information.

From:The World Jeet Kune Do Federation <jkd@worldjkd.com>
    Add to ContactsTo:Joe <hungryjoe@xxx>
    No we did not know Mr. Maranto. Are you still at 147 Warren Ave. Bloomington,IL 60108 when we need more information about this matter?

World Jeet Kune Do Federation Member Relations
    www.worldjkd.com
    Box 52820 Tulsa, Ok 74152 USA

My reply,

Hello,

There is no Mr. Maranto in this correspondence.

How does your limited background qualify you as grandmaster in three arts other than you chose names and paid fees?

Do you care to enter the discussion on Bullshido? Lack thereof, with enough participation on the forum will show high on google search results.

Joe

His reply

We do not appreciate you cyberstalking us. Remove all attacks and stop harassing us and attempting to cause emotional distress. Or is it another felony to add to your list you are looking for.
    Possession of Cocaine and Assault and Battery.
    Another email from Carter on 30 December, 2009 after I'd posted in the thread.

Well Joe you wanted our undivided attention with your unprovoked attacks and defamation, well you have it 100%. You just wouldn't let it go and had to keep harassing us. We have you every chance to do the right thing. We are directing our attorneys to file suit against you in State court here in Tulsa, so looks like you will get your chance to explain what you have been doing to hurt us to a jury.

It appears you have way too much time on your hands to post online in your effort to interfere with our commerce and slander our reputation and steal our intellectual property.

The address that we have for service is:

We should begin in the next thirty days. If you have an attorney please forward his information to us, and ask them if they will accept service for you. Be sure and post this letter online so your known associates can see where you are heading.

Hargrave Martial Arts
    Division Headquarters of Hargrave Arts LLC.
    Box 52820
    Tulsa, Ok 74152
    I went to see an attorney in early January. A good expensive attorney that specializes in libel and slander cases with emphasis on the media.

Upon his recommendation of strategy, I did not send the following response, but kept it as a draft.

Hello Carter,

You can post "we" all you like. You teach out of your house and back yard.

I originally contacted you to let you know you were a topic of discussion on the Bullshido site for your chance to reply.

Rather than provide proof of your seemingly preposterous claims, you felt it better to answer by emailing me about past incidences of my, my wife and my brother's life based on my last name. This in addition to accusing me of cyber stalking. Threatened me with a felony when the most, if found guilty, would be a misdemeanor.

My posts have been as a consumer advocate for those who may have a false sense of ability from being ranked by you by video only, with no formal training under your auspice and for your financial gain only.

You have little to no verifiable training after leaving Dill when you were ranked a shodan only. You can claim GRANDMASTER all you want. In my opinion, you are a huckster, of which the details will come out if you want to pursue this in court.

Do you really want to go there? If so, I welcome the ability to find out all available under the terms of discovery.
    As to his other charges.

Apparently Glimp was terminated from his job for his obsession with Hargrave as he was doing his libelous internet activity on company time.
    Employment - I have always had a strong work ethic. Surfing the web while there's work to be done is to me the same as stealing. Any posts I have made over the years during working hours, I was on lunch or vacation. The fact is that our company was sold and the work of my department in R&D was for the most part taken over by an existing sister engineering company of the corporation, based in India. I have good references. Note that Carter couched his sentence beginning with the word "apparently".

It is good though that he adds more meat afterward as he'll need to show why he thinks and writes as he did.

Oklahoma City Police Detectives contacted Joe Glimp and conveyed the stalking situation as to its probable outcome, which only infuriated him to post more hate speech online about the object of his attention Grandmaster Hargrave. Lashing out and blaming the one being stalked is common by those obsessed for being confronted by authorities regarding their inappropriate actions. Detectives also interviewed a local Judo Master who Glimp had taken a few lessons who relayed a message to Hargrave that he had little to worry about as “Glimp has no ability” which is common in those that harass martial arts teachers. In many cases jealousy is the motivator and they feel if they can knock them or their school down calling them fake or frauds then they become better in their own eyes.
    The police - As stated in the earlier post, I never actually talked to the police. I do still have the detective's phone message saved. Keep in mind, that this was left on my machine about five months ago and I responded same day. No word since I left my information on the voice mail. Will be checking on the case number he provided. Odd thing is, I don't live in Oklahoma City and the police there have no jurisdiction, yet the number is for the Oklahoma City Police. In my opinion, Carter is blowing smoke on this one. Will be making inquiries on this through the proper channels.

The felony issue - Hell, I posted about this myself earlier in the thread after posting Hargrave's pitiful email attempt threatening to have me served with an invite to court. Can't take it back, but have moved forward from mistakes of the past.

Glimp met another individual, Rex Ashcraft of Cushing Oklahoma, in the internet chat forum whom he befriended and convinced it would be a good idea to apply for lessons at Hargrave’s school so he could get close to him physically for the possibility of harming him and or his business. Ashcraft was later seen going into Hargrave’s home while he was away on a weekend vacation.
    I was contacted by Rex after he had applied and been received by Carter as a student. Emails on record. Rex and I go back from the Coda Scott days. It is my understanding from Rex that his entering Hargrave's house on the weekend had to do with his school. Count on Carter to twist the facts to suit his purposes.

To Carter (cause we all know you're reading this),

You are, in my opinion, an arrogant, narcissistic and overall pathetic individual with little sense of honor. Now go call daddy, your sister, Jon and anyone else you think can help squash the truth.

I hope to some day meet you in the courtroom if that's your decision. Other than that, don't flatter yourself. You're an insignificant and small minded person playing the martial arts master. Keep shopping your little article of character assassination. I'll come along and post links to this post where possible.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/26/2010 9:47pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xael View Post
    No self respecting student of a Japanese sword art holds their sword in the way seen in the photo.

Tenuchi is part of kihon101 for JSA and this guy doesn't understand the mechanics of what tenuchi is or why.

He's also holding a very specific type of toshin - specifically the kissaki, being the long type (o-kissaki).

This type of blade (if sharp) requires careful and applied skill in both nukitsuke and noto to prevent damage to the saya and injury to the left hand.

Considering the guy's general body size, the blade also strikes me as being very short for him.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 4:12am

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plus his grip is wrong in several ways, and if he was posing for a shot, which kamae is he going for exactly?

I don't think he's had any formal training.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 11:17am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    Plus his grip is wrong in several ways, and if he was posing for a shot, which kamae is he going for exactly?

I don't think he's had any formal training.
    Tenouchi = grip and arm movement.

I think I made that point already LOL.

If his hands were in the right place and holding the tsuka correctly, this would place his elbows in an entirely different position, what you see in the picture is a classic.. I haven't a clue baseball grip.

The 'wringing' action through the tsuka from the hands used to control the sword at it's end point (like wrining out a wet cloth) can only be effectively acheived with correct tenouchi.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler