Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2010 8:29am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.squidoo.com/Dan-Inosanto
    This site above contains jkd foot work as shown and taught by dan Inosanto...
    The featured steps compare to hargraves in this way:

Step and slide foot work is hargraves push foot work (exact same)

the slide step is carter's displacement foot work without the 45 degree angle it would seem.

Push shuffle (as my former instructor put it) is Carter's shooting foot work (exact same)

Side step is Carter's lateral foot work (exact same)

There are a few Carter does not have in his vid's or manual...

Heel and toe sway (first i've ever seen of this)

curve step (I've learned this foot work in an mma class before, but never through jkd

Rock N shuffle (kinda like my old instructor's teeter foot work)

I will add these newly learned foot works to my daily practices, I'm glad I found this video.

Just tryin to get the truth out there guys. Carter maybe did not seem to find the foot works that were not included in his system effective.. Could be several reasons they are not included. We all have our reasons.

In closing the kali vid on this site is awsome!

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/11/2010 9:42am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You spent a ton of money so, of course everything is "Hargrave's footwork."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2010 1:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does it not seem odd that there is footwork in a 3 minute Inosanto demo video that you were not aware of in all of your time training JKD?

And now you're going to add them to your training just from watching the short segment with no explanation of when and how such footwork is used effectively? How many times will you watch the video before you teach this to your students?

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    9/11/2010 3:39pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a lot of this is a re-hash of some previous discussions here, but other sources might be good to reference. Also, I'm caching them here for posterity's sake.

http://et-ee.facebook.com/topic.php?...62&topic=13050

A discussion here states (second hand) that Carter believes that instructor generations are based off of age and not lineage (steps to Bruce)

http://et-ee.facebook.com/topic.php?...962&topic=1863

What is standard operating procedure for JKD in determining your 'generation' if you are an instructor?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2010 8:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many times will you watch the video before you teach this to your students?

I have no students. I just had no idea the foot work was in the curriculum before I saw the video... Also with the foot work not in Carter's manual or vid's came second and if you watched the video, Danny said it was more basic. I don't see it as practical as the before mentioned foot work. This is also why i'm attending his seminar to learn more about it. Trust me I won't teach for profit until i'm certified to teach, and sure that I have it right. The two guys I teach now are just training partners not students, they are aware of these alligations as well as I am.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    9/11/2010 8:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Repost of 2nd discussion from Facebook (went missing above)

http://et-ee.facebook.com/topic.php?...962&topic=1863

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2010 9:46pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From Chris Chaney's Facebook:

http://nb-no.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2203396996&v=wall#!/group.php?gid=2203396996&v=info

I have studied Jeet Kune Do since 2000, but I only intensely studied the art from 2000 to 2002. At that time, I had acquired about 70% of the overall martial art. I have decided to start again and this time aim for certification. Once I have become officially certified, I will start offering classes and I will see how that goes from there.
    7/25/06
    The dvds came in yesterday and I watched them to see where I was. The dvds refreshed my memory and out of the 12, I stopped watching on 9 and I haven't learned anything new...I'll view the rest later today to see where I stand. While viewing some of his suggested techniques, I kept commenting that I would have reacted differently and used a grappling technique instead of punching him, but he is just offering basic suggestions...

7/26/06
    I finished watching the dvds completely. According to him, I have mastery of the art. I just have to take the test to demonstrate it for certification, but I won't be doing that for some time because to become certified through him will cost $400 so I won't be officially certified for awhile, but that will not detract from my ability to teach it to anyone who is interested. The main things I have to memorize will be the drills other than that I have 95% of the techniques down plus what I can blend. I can't wait to start training again.
    Hargrave is taking (in my opinion) these people for a ride.

$400 to test for certification, that certification being awarded by someone with minimum black belt skills (from all research to date).

Lineage goes by age? God almighty these people are either gullible or don't care as long as they get the paper.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    9/11/2010 11:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    $400 to test for certification, that certification being awarded by someone with minimum black belt skills (from all research to date).

Lineage goes by age? God almighty these people are either gullible or don't care as long as they get the paper.
    What gets me is that Chris may very well be familiar with ('know') all of the techniques, but applying them in a live/resistant environment is a completely different animal.

When just memorizing techniques means that you are qualified to teach those techniques, that is a signal that there is something VERY wrong with the training and certification process.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2010 12:40pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe he has had formal training in the past... Didn't get certified to teach so he turned to Carter with no other alternatives. The same is kinda what happend to me. This is why I have training partners, I agree you need to be able to apply training to real life situations. My first instructor told me that his instructor just had the knowledge as well, he said the guy never trained. If you don't train and make techniques muscle memory then you can't fight. But there are more instructors than you know that cannot fight. All he was trying to aquire was the knowledge so he could train it. He had more martial knowledge then just his jkd instructor though. when it was time to get his instructors certificate, his sifu tries to charge him 2 grand! lol! My instructor then challenges him, the reluctant sifu then calls the cops!

My instructor Rob trained me on speed bag, double end bag, mook jong and the heavy bag. As well as a swinging side ways bag... We were always working drills together and sparring. I was his only student for a whole year, besides some kid learning grappling. Aside from my sessions, I got to be involved in his everyday training. He is 4th generation down from Danny Inosanto. Meaning his inst. wasn't Danny inosanto's student.

You can't help what people do with the knowledge they receive.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/12/2010 6:58pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by biajong View Post
    Maybe he has had formal training in the past...
    So, you basically have nothing new to add to the thread? Sorry, "maybe" doesn't cut it in the MABS Sub-forum. Provide us with proof or please start another thread to discuss the effectiveness of what he teaches and "what if" scenarios.