Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/26/2010 10:09pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Not master of Jeet Kune Do name

Have consulted with an attorney who specializes in media.

According to court documentation, apparently, the Carter Hargrave Grandmaster wanted to own Jeet Kune Do related domain names that encroached on his 1 of many web sites. Why else file suit and dispute the martial art name that a now long dead man coined?

According to:

http://domains.adrforum.com/domains/...ns/1294273.htm

And futher:
    Would Bruce Lee Have Approved Of This Fight?

January 5th, 2010
    In the recent domain name dispute decision of Hargrave Arts LLC c/o Carter Hargrave v. Chiefasian LLC c/o Martin Eng FA1294273 (Nat. Arb. Forum, December 31, 2009), a single member Panel was faced with a dispute over the domain www.jeetkunedo.com. Complainant is the owner of multiple Jeet Kune Do related domains, including www.jeetkunedo.net and www.jeetkunedo.org. Mr. Hargrave is the president of the World Jeet Kun Do Federation. He claims common law trademark rights to the mark JEET KUNE DO. A little background is necessary, for an understanding of the origins of JEET KUNE DO. This form of martial arts was founded by Bruce Lee in the late 1960ís. According to the decision, Complainant is one of about 50 certified instructors. The disputed domain was registered on March 6, 2000 and Respondent provided a response to the complaint. Although the Response was not provided the Panel noted that Respondent claims Hargrave does not have rights to the JEET KUNE DO mark.
    Paragraph 4(a) of the ICANN UDRP Policy requires that the Complainant must prove each of the following three elements to obtain an order that a domain name should be cancelled or transferred: (1) the domain name registered by the Respondent is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark in which the Complainant has rights; (2) the Respondent has no rights or legitimate interests in respect of the domain name; and (3) the domain name has been registered and is being used in bad faith.
    The Panel addressed the first element explaining that Complainaint contends he acquired rights to the JEET KUNE DO mark from Bruce Lee and the Bruce Lee Jeet Kune DO School. However, the Panel notes that Hargrave fails to provide any evidence that it represents Bruce Lee or the Bruce Lee School. Additionally, Hargrave fails to provide any evidence that any of the rights to the JEET KUNE DO mark were assigned or licensed to him. For these reasons, the Panel found that Hargrave did not satisfy the first element.
    The Panel did not review the remaining elements and DENIED the request for transfer.

Really, who is this Hargrave guy? Perhaps a legal battle will tell under terms of discovery.........

A simple time line of actual training from the GRANDMASTER himself will suffice. If given, any and all future posts on my behalf will cease (if supported with reliable documentation)

Otherwise, you know my address. Serve me at will.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 5:57pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Review

Here's a link to the recent review of his school
    Hargrave Martial Arts Systems - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Took super ninjer skillz to pull this off. I'd also like to add that i had to call Joe and vent about some of the stupidity. Will be posting a day by day of my experience as well.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 6:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks CC,

Looking forward to reading the manual. Wondering if this is the one that sold over 80K worldwide?

What was with his aversion to bad breath? To have that specifically listed as one of the things that would get you pushups is hilarious.

No wonder there was so little grappling. Teaching out of a small green house in the backyard. Good thing it's a total LARPfest, otherwise, someone could get hurt.

Staff - please give this man his much deserved jojo review icon!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 6:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The manual is the Origional JKD manual, so it may be. Bad Breath isnt normally an issue with me so i couldn't give a good reference on it.

The whole class dreads push-ups. Was actually really funny to watch them complain about doin 30 or so. He also was making deals to not have to do push-ups if you bought some candles from his daughter to send her on some trip.

He did explain some grappling, but it hurts my brain thinking about it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/14/2010 5:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was thinking of rule below from Carter's rule sheet.

12 - All students will wear clean uniforms or Kempo Association T Shirt in Kempo and JKD Federation T Shirts in Jeet Kune Do to all classes, and you better not have bad breath. Expect push ups.

My favorite though is number 2.

2 - Always address Professor Hargrave as Professor.

What an ego.

Just curious. Did the Professor ever get down and do exercises during warmup?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2010 11:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a response i received

You thank me for my time and attention? I let you attend my school without paying up front as other students because you were hard up for cash even leaving owing money for lessons. I let you spar with my upper belts after I warned them not to hurt you due to you being new. You thanked me for letting you attend. I tried to help your skill problems in class in the short amount of time even though you said you had a black belt, I was confused but knew you probably did not have those ranks, but took you under my wing as I would any of my students to put you on the right path. And you thank me with a knowingly false account of your attendance to harm me and my school? What does Rex Ashcraft's thanks look like - Hargrave Martial Arts Systems - No BS MMA and Martial Arts Professor Hargrave

and then my response

Well I guess I can cover each of your points in turn if you would like.

You let me in after I had my bills caught up and was just a lil short. Your decision nonetheless. As to me owing you money for lessons, I Have the understanding that I am completely paid due to all the fees and purchasing your 40 dollar three ring binder.

I wasn't going to really cover much on your "upper" belts, but coming from my last school I was severely dissapointed. I was immediately hit in the mouth after establishing that I had no mouth peice. Being that I have been out as long as I have and the level of contact we were at he should have dominated me. And as per I remember he's the one that ended up in a possibly injury threatening neck crank... Oh and the "counter" he said he would use would have got him seriously hurt.

I havnt worked out in going on 2 years now. I assure you that my rank is real and can legititmately prove my ranks. Can you do that without having a promotion circle going on?

I feel very comfortable and happy with myself for not being able to perform your techniques very well. As will be seen in my day by day (which I'm sure you'll read) you can see the breakdown of how I viewed your class.

I don't understand how I would have a knowingly false account of my attendance when I simply stated my experience and opinion.

I will be posting our communication publicly, so if you would prefer to speak out of email you can register and post on bullshido. Also if you have an issue with the review please post under the review and explain why some things are they way they are.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2010 1:10pm

Style: Working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CC has my respect
    if it means anything to him
    :crybaby2:

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 7:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CC, you seem to have come into those classes with the intention of proving what was being said on this thread. Coming in with an agenda like that renders anything you say about it automatically suspect. Claim all that you want that you approached it without bias, but it's pretty clear to me, as one of the students there, that you had your mind made up from day one.

Putting it simply, your descriptions of the classes and members are generally exaggerated to fit your aforementioned agenda. You've lost a great deal of my respect.

---

As one of Hargrave's JKD students for a little over a year now, I can tell you that he absolutely knows what he's teaching. This is not a case of some con-artist pretending to teach broose lee fiteeng. As one would expect from someone claiming to possess his credentials, his form is consistently precise in his demonstrations. Just as well, he is able and willing to address any and all questions, demonstrate applicable techniques, and do so on the spot perfectly. I'm not speaking in exaggeration. I'm skeptical by nature, but I've been able to assuage the doubt that this sort of thread has generated by attending the classes in person for the time that I have. I'm currently Level 5 of 12 in Hargrave's system. So by no means am I an expert. I have a background in Tae Kwon Do, having a black belt from a very long time ago. However, I am thoroughly impressed by Hargrave's system, his teaching method, his actual instruction, and his knowledge. If I didn't think I would actually be learning real Jeet Kune Do from an instructor who knew what he was doing in his classes, I would quit. I really would. However, I haven't, and I firmly believe that says more about his instruction than it does my dedication.

There is a lot of bad blood within the JKD community. People fight over what is real JKD, what isn't, and whether or not a particular instructor is as good as he professes to be. I think if people would focus on the substance of the technique being taught rather than running around conducting witch hunts like what this is turning into, we would all be a lot better off.
    Last edited by oNAGAo; 3/15/2010 7:11pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 7:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oNAGAo View Post
    CC, you seem to have come into those classes with the intention of proving what was being said on this thread. Coming in with an agenda like that renders anything you say about it automatically suspect. Claim all that you want that you approached it without bias, but it's pretty clear to me, as one of the students there, that you had your mind made up from day one.
    ---
    As one of Hargrave's JKD students ...
    So, CC's alleged agenda is bad and makes him less credible, but your ackknowledged one is o.k. and makes you more credible?

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 8:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    So, CC's alleged agenda is bad and makes him less credible, but your ackknowledged one is o.k. and makes you more credible?
    Personal experience does not equate to an agenda. The agenda exists before the acquisition of experience as one of the reasons for joining.