Sponsored Links Spacer Image

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    2/18/2006 10:53pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Review: Everlast - EverGel Glove Wraps

For the strikers on here I am sure you can all share my former frustration for taking the time to wrap your hands. It may take anywhere from 30 seconds(Guiness record?) to 5 minutes for you to do it. It's a real pain in the ass with cloth hand wraps. You have to wash them, roll them up to avoid tangling, buy new ones after a few months use, etc. It's an even worse pain in the ass for the gauze wraps option. They take even longer and take a toll on your wallet. I got sick of wasting my time/money on cloth hand wraps so I began seeking alternatives. I found Everlast's EverGel Glove wraps. They look and go on like a weight glove/MMA glove. It makes getting ready for bag work a breeze and in some cases, protects you better than other wraps.

Price - $25.00 + Tax at any sports store/$19.99 + S/H at EverlastBoxing.com

Pros - Easy to put on. Great altenative to tradional/cloth hand wraps. Sleek. Protects the hands well.

Cons - Difficult to take off.

I used them for about 10 rounds today. I haven't used them for sparring yet but I will try that soon. I read that you can use them by themselves on the speed and double ended bags. I tried them on the double ended bag and they worked like a charm.

If you're sick of wasting your time/money on the other hand wraps, try these. I go through about 12 pair of cloth hand wraps a year(tears, rips, velcro falling apart, etc) which equates to about 29.99 on Ringside.com. I bought this for a little over 26.00 at a local sports store. You don't save much on your wallet but you will save time/effort.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 6:55pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know what you are doing to your handwraps, but the 3 pairs I bought from my school's fitness center have lasted for over 4 years with regular use. They were $6 a pair, and are very similar to Revgear's $12 Krav wraps.

Plus, unless there's something I'm not aware of, no competitive sanctioning body will let you use such "wraps" in a fight, meaning you have to go back to cloth wraps.

Plus, any awesome boxing coach will teach you wraps that not only protect your hands well, but will also allow your fist to form more easily and actually penetrate through the glove better than other wraps. There's a wrap my instructor showed me that starts off by wrapping around the thumb joint and wrist 3x. After the 3rd wrap, it moves up to the knuckles for 5 wraps, then back down to the wrist for a wrap.

At this point, the wrap goes up between the pinky and ring finger, around the outside of the hand, then back over the top of the wrist, wrist-wrap, then back up between the index and middle finger, around the gap between the index and thumb, then back down the wrist. After another wrist-loop, the wrap comes up between the middle and ring finger. On the palm of the hand, the wrap tucks underneath the "cloth grip bar" that the 5 knuckle wraps made before, comes back out between the same fingers and back down to the wrist. This cinches the underside of the knucke wraps in such a way that it gives you something to grip inside the glove.

Not to mention that, at least for me, there's a meditative aspect to putting on hand wraps. It's an activity that helps me transition from an every day state of mind to one focused entirely on training - you focus entirely on making sure to wrap your hands tightly enough so they won't get broken, but not so tight to injure yourself. It requires attention to detail and focus.

Just my 2c.

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 7:00pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought a pair of these when I broke my hand. They were great but they're starting to come apart after only a month.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 9:23pm

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If i remember correctly there was already a review for this...
    According to the guy, the gel wraps are ****. They tore on his first bag session. Personally the price doesn't justify whatever "special features" the gel wrap has. The Good ol' Cloth wraps have yet to fail me. IMO, don't fix what ain't broken.

Article > http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...article&id=194

software engineer

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 10:50pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Steve
    It's an activity that helps me transition from an every day state of mind to one focused entirely on ... It requires attention to detail and focus.
    lol, must be why your the wikipedia delegatet.

BTW, what happens when it start deteriorating, does it leak? Or just bust?

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 11:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Steve
    Plus, any awesome boxing coach will teach you wraps that not only protect your hands well, but will also allow your fist to form more easily and actually penetrate through the glove better than other wraps. There's a wrap my instructor showed me that starts off by wrapping around the thumb joint and wrist 3x. After the 3rd wrap, it moves up to the knuckles for 5 wraps, then back down to the wrist for a wrap.

At this point, the wrap goes up between the pinky and ring finger, around the outside of the hand, then back over the top of the wrist, wrist-wrap, then back up between the index and middle finger, around the gap between the index and thumb, then back down the wrist. After another wrist-loop, the wrap comes up between the middle and ring finger. On the palm of the hand, the wrap tucks underneath the "cloth grip bar" that the 5 knuckle wraps made before, comes back out between the same fingers and back down to the wrist. This cinches the underside of the knucke wraps in such a way that it gives you something to grip inside the glove.

???

Something's not right here. Are your wraps longer than 170 inches or so or do you have really, really tiny hands?
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 4/03/2006 11:15pm at .

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 12:58am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Review tips:

Describe the product
    Show pictures
    Use it over time before reviewing.

I had to google the product reviewed to form an opinion on it - all this review did was alert me to its existence.

Are you using your wraps with no bag gloves or something? What the hell do you do to them to use a pair a month? (since we know they aren't smashed to pieces by your godlike hammer blows or anything)
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    4/05/2006 7:41pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    ???

Something's not right here. Are your wraps longer than 170 inches or so or do you have really, really tiny hands?
    They're 180. I can't do the wrap with smaller ones. If I have to use smaller wraps, I do a more conventional wrap with 4 wraps down the wrist, 4 wraps up, then wraps between each gap of the finger before wrapping over the knuckles, then taking the excess back on the wrist.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 1:02pm

Style: Shito-ryu/ Full-Contact

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone know if the TKO gel wraps are any better? http://store.bestbuymas.com/tkoprogelha.html:eatbabies

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Gnujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like more wrist support than what that seems to offer.
    Legendary Street Fighter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast